Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

My goal with this thread is to document my experience with my Smith Little Torch and hopefully provide some guidance for those who are looking to purchase one. I don't claim to be an expert on this - nor am I trying to sell this setup as being better than anything else (different types of torches, brazing methods, or even welding). There are plenty of other threads where those discussions have ran their course.

A few years ago I bought the BernzOmatic Map-pro setup like this one: Shop BernzOmatic TS8000KC Map-Pro Kit at Lowes.com

It costs about $55 at Lowe's and is a great way to get started on a budget. Lots of guys have built some amazing tube work with these torches. The handle comes with an ignition button making it very easy to operate this torch and the disposable bottles last awhile.

It works well- but it produces a very large feathered flame and isn't really tunable. My issue with this torch has always been that I end up heating up not only the area I'm working on, but surrounding joints as well.

Which leads me to the Smith Little Torch. The Smith Little Torch is a micro torch that is intended for jewelry and small crafts and it produces a very hot pin-point flame that is well suited for silver soldering work on our crawlers; apparently you can weld with it too. The Little Torch also features a small light handle, and the gas and oxygen lines are both lite and flexible as well. I learned about the torch from Kaetwo and some of the other Utards, but I'm sure that many others on the forum have used it as well.

The torch works with a variety of gases and oxygen depending on what setup you buy. The gases include Acetylene, MAP//Pro, Propane, and hydrogen (and probably some others) which are mixed with oxygen. The oxygen can come in the disposable bottles available at Lowe's, or a refillable tank like a 'B' tank (a 20 Cu. Ft. tank that's filled to 2000PSI). The refillable tanks require a regulator, whereas the disposable tanks use a preset regulator as they operate at much lower pressures (the downside is that they don't work nearly as long). Smith claims that the big bottle will last up to 15 hours with a number 5 tip at 2-7psi - I got my tank filled at a local welding supply shop for $9.

I got my setup from Weldfabulous.com - and I was pretty happy with their shipping time and customer service. I ordered on Wednesday, and had my stuff by Friday. I wish they would support RCC I ordered kit 23-1010P seen here: https://www.weldfabulous.com/p-21276...isposable.aspx Edit 12/20/15 - looks like Weldfabulous doesn't carry the kit anymore. Here it is on Sears: http://www.sears.com/smith-equipment...1&blockType=G1

This kit includes the following:
11-1101C Torch
8' covered hoses
#3, 4, 5, 6, and #7 tips
#249-500 preset fuel regulator
30-20-540 Oxygen regulator
20 cu. ft. oxygen cylinder
#13493 caddy carrier
H698 pair check valves

Here's how it showed up:

I choose this model because I wanted to use disposable map bottles and the refillable tank and it includes the appropriate regulators. The one thing that the kit doesn't include - and I consider necessary is flashback arrestors. I ordered these: https://www.weldfabulous.com/p-21835...ount-h753.aspx They keep the flame from traveling back and damaging the regulator and / or causing your oxygen bottle to become an explosive torpedo. Note! You need the regulator mounted ones - the torch mounted ones wont work!!!!

My kit also came with five tips, here's my best attempt at showing you the sizes with my cheap camera:

Note the tip on the left is the smallest - it has a synthetic sapphire that the flame passes through.

Close up:

Each tip is stamped with a number to indicate the size:

The kit includes check valves (installed after the regulators) that cut off when the tanks get below a certain pressure:

You'll note that the fuel side check valve is reverse threaded - so you can't install them on the wrong side. They're also stamped to show oxygen and fuel.

Here's the preset regulator for the fuel side - it's a nice piece and installs right on the disposable MAP bottle:

Here's the regulator for the oxygen side (it's pretty ) - you can see the little check valve installed:

If you wanted to use disposable oxygen and fuel bottles this would be the kit you would need:
https://www.weldfabulous.com/p-74598...ble-tanks.aspx This kit includes a preset regulator for the disposable tanks and doesn't include the B tank or the caddy. It also includes one tip - whereas the other kit includes five. Just remember those little oxygen tanks go fast!!!

Either way, you're going to end up with this handle:

The valves are replaceable

Here it is with the black aluminum handle section removed:

Tips screw on the end

Also, I guess I should note, that I recommend Harris Safety-Silv 45 or 53. In my experience it really doesn't make much difference as to which one you use. Available here: Lincoln Electric Safety-Silv 45 2-Piece Brazing Kit-45KPOP at The Home Depot

I plan on adding to this post as I go - please feel free to add any tips or tricks that you might have!

Last edited by THX_138; 08-06-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

That thing is pretty sweet. Putting that on my wishlist for sure. I like how lightweight and compact it is. I really would never need a full size torch and even if I did I could use one at work, this would be perfect for in home workshop.
4VRYNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).

I've been using this same torch for 3 years now only I use both refillable oxygen and acetylene bottles and couldn't be happier.
Disposable bottles got to expensive fast. I can get either filled for about the same cost as 1 throw away bottle.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Hi all,
I'm new on forum but looking to buy Smith Little Torch.
Is it possible that torch with five tips can cost only $34??
Link below

Smith Little Torch, Micro Torch, Jewelry Torch-in Special Store from Jewelry on Aliexpress.com

Or maybe is fake...?

Thanks
e@forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It's just the torch hand, hoses and tips. That's not that expensive - it's the regulators, and tanks that add up.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
It's just the torch hand, hoses and tips. That's not that expensive - it's the regulators, and tanks that add up.
So You think I should go for it?
e@forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'd guess its probably a knock off. Just the torch, hoses and tips is around $100 everywhere I have looked. But might be worth a closer look.

I have been looking at these and some alternatives. There is a seller that sells a Hardin Micro Torch for $49 on fleabay. It looks like a Smith knock off, but at least they aren't calling it a Smith.

Currently I'm using the Bernzomatic Map/Oxy torch and it works pretty good but the disposable oxy bottles go too quick. It's just hard to justify spending that much on a new torch set. If I was building for other people I could justify it but not for myself.

Highmark,
Now that you have had some time with this torch has your impression changed at all? Can you braze joints without loosening nearby ones?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The control with the Smith is pretty impressive, and can make even a newbie like me look good.. Just completed this one a couple of weeks ago.

Tio Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Just ordered a Hardin Micro off Ebay for $50 so we'll see how it does when it arrives.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Hardin came in yesterday and got right to work. Controls are touchy but not terrible (it's cheap) and the hoses i don't give a year, but it works for now and i can now braze inside without turning the room into a furnace or setting of smoke alarms after one joint brazed.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I'd guess its probably a knock off. Just the torch, hoses and tips is around $100 everywhere I have looked. But might be worth a closer look.

I have been looking at these and some alternatives. There is a seller that sells a Hardin Micro Torch for $49 on fleabay. It looks like a Smith knock off, but at least they aren't calling it a Smith.

Currently I'm using the Bernzomatic Map/Oxy torch and it works pretty good but the disposable oxy bottles go too quick. It's just hard to justify spending that much on a new torch set. If I was building for other people I could justify it but not for myself.

Highmark,
Now that you have had some time with this torch has your impression changed at all? Can you braze joints without loosening nearby ones?
I totally missed this post sorry

I love this torch - it makes builing these small frames so much easier. You can silver solder joints without affecting nearby ones pretty easily assuming they aren't right next to each other. In my experience you can have a joint at the end of the tube, and an inch up will be cool enough to touch most of the time.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I will have had this torch a year tomorrow - still using the origional B tank of oxygen (haven't had to refill it yet). I still rank it as one of the best tools I've ever bought.

All of the work on this rig was done with a #7 tip on MAPP / Oxy.
Highmark's Class 2: The Marmot
Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Excellent review. I just purchased a Uniweld HD/MD kit and now realize my 10CF Acetylene tank won't work too well with the tips included (to meet the 1/7 CFH per hour rule...or 1/10 as is the newer recommendation) so I am looking at getting this torch to bring my CFH down to a safe level to ensure no acetone escapes from the tank and destabilizes it.
cormier33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I will have had this torch a year tomorrow - still using the origional B tank of oxygen (haven't had to refill it yet). I still rank it as one of the best tools I've ever bought.

All of the work on this rig was done with a #7 tip on MAPP / Oxy.
Highmark's Class 2: The Marmot
This is great to know... I was very curious how long the tank would last, now I know what to expect out of mine, with very moderate use.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormier33 View Post
Excellent review. I just purchased a Uniweld HD/MD kit and now realize my 10CF Acetylene tank won't work too well with the tips included (to meet the 1/7 CFH per hour rule...or 1/10 as is the newer recommendation) so I am looking at getting this torch to bring my CFH down to a safe level to ensure no acetone escapes from the tank and destabilizes it.

Thanks! Glad it helped - good luck with your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
This is great to know... I was very curious how long the tank would last, now I know what to expect out of mine, with very moderate use.
Thanks! Yeah the big oxygen tank is nice to have. They're super cheap to refill too.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Know this is an old thread. Hope someone is still watching it. With the small knock off's, how are they with judt brazing a chassis instead of silv 45?
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdaveb View Post
Know this is an old thread. Hope someone is still watching it. With the small knock off's, how are they with judt brazing a chassis instead of silv 45?
I couldn't tell you. In my (very) limited experience with brazing it takes a lot of heat which negates the benefits of using this torch. This torch might isolate the heat a little better.

IMO the silv you can get from Holmes Hobbies makes it to easy to not use it. It's a little more expensive but worth it.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

So this mini torch works fine for soldering though? I ordered on of the copies to run off an oxygen tank and mapp bottle. If I like the method think I'll go up to aceteyline tanks a Smith torch. Going to order some dilv, but going to try some small brafzingd rods. Local welding supply stores have some shoulder for soldering aluminum and they say it will solder steel also. It's $38 plus tax. See if I can find a link to that one to see if anyone has tried it. Thanks for responding
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Why not ask the local welding shop if they think it would work? This torch is very precise in where the heat goes even with the largest included tip. I did my entire chassis (Safety-silv) with it and never unbrazed another joint while heating another

Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures). - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smith little torch thumper68 Tools, and Procedures 49 02-21-2012 08:36 AM
Brazing,Micro-torch or Normal size torch? xyzoose Tools, and Procedures 4 03-04-2010 09:47 PM