Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Breaking the loctite threadlock bond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Question Breaking the loctite threadlock bond

I have a 1.5mm hex grub screw that was threadlocked from the factory. I must remove it. The problem is that the grub screw is hardened steel and no 1.5mm allen can loosen it, even the high dollar hexes have stripped. I need to get this screw loose! I know that heat will do it, but the screw is on a motor can and the magnets cannot be heated above 100C. I believe that 150C or above is needed to degrade threadlock.

The one solution I have is to sink the motor can in water, and heat up the screw with a torch. This should keep the magnets cool enough, but I dont know if the screw will be able to get hot enough. All I can do is try it and keep a temp gun handy. Anybody have any other suggestions or solutions to get this damn set screw loose? It is not exposed above the surface either, so I cant dremel a slot in the screw.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Last time i had that problem... I took an old allen wrench, stuck it in the grub screw, then took a torch and heated the allen wrench. Heat transfer went straight to the grub screw to break the threadlock, without transfering too much heat to the surrounding area.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Talking

Use PB Penatrating Catalyst.Works for me.Spray it,let soak....repeat, then let it sit.Should work.Safer than using an 1000 degree torch
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Get a reverse drill bit. I have used them for drilling holes when using a screw extractor, sometimes the screw backs out when drilling the pre-hole and you don't even need the extractor.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Use your soldering iron, just push the tip into the hex. Irons are usually 400 some degrees. Since there is no flame only thing you would have to worry about would be the heat transfer to the can. Just wrap a wet rag around the can. I guess this would only work if you can reach it though.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #6

Tried other heating methods and soaking in Acetone, neither yeilded success. I just used a center punch to remove the shaft with tight set screws. Fortunatly the shaft is smooth and it slid out without too much coaxing. Makes me think twice about doing this to every motor that comes through my hands. The plan is to turn down the shafts so standard pinions work. I dont want to fudge up motors by beating on them with a hammer.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Seems like a lot of work!
Probably easier to drill out a pinon and include it!

Me being lazy i would probably try and run the motor and turn down the shaft while it spins instead of taking it apart and putting it on a lathe!
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #8

While it has me tempted to try and make a small setup for that, I dont know how well the can and bearings will take the side load of cutting unless my bit is oHH so sharp. Tis a good thought though.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #9

Sounds to me like you're using the wrong kind of loctite. There are many different grades available. On screws that have to come loose easily (for instance screws that go into threaded aluminum) I always use loctite 222 (purple/pink in colour)
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #10

This is from the factory, I would never use such a strong bonding threadlock on such a tiny screw!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
It is not exposed above the surface either, so I cant dremel a slot in the screw.
Quote:
get your rotory tool and make a solid line on the screw then use your flat head srew driver to take it out.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It's ok, some people don't read anymore.
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 AM   #13
I lost my vendor privileges

i use blue on everythng that i use threadlock on.. glad to see you got it off.lol before it broke..
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote