Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Drilling through hardened steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Drilling through hardened steel

I need to drill through some Kyosho Twin Force diff output shafts so that I can install some revo driveshafts that don't pop off all the time. I've tried drilling through similar things before. But this is crazy, my 1/8" carbide milling bits just scratch it. Any tips, it needs to be done in order for the project to continue as set screws just don't work.

I know the basics, go slow, use lube. But, is there any insider tips? possibly will heat help?
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i was trying to get thru some stealth outdrives, and getting nowhere when i tried a dremel bit, and it went right through.
it was very similar to the second bit from the top of this page (just a random result of searching...)

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/bur...remel_bits.htm

good luck!
superelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Ace
Rock Crawler

If carbide won't cut it it's damn hard.

Could try anealing it with heat, but some steels are difficult to anneal. Would be worth a try.

Heat it (propane torch) till a magnet no longer sticks to it and let it cool very slowly. One way to do that is to put it in a fireplace and let the fire burn down overnight. It helps to wrap it in stainless steel foil to keep air away which will keep the scaling down.

I'd try a torch first. Pull the flame away slowly over several minutes, test it with a file to see if it softened.

Might try one of these:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=304-0004

I've never used one but I've heard they work well, can drill a hole thru HSS endmills.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I was driliing out the center of a yoke, and I just went with a small bit and worked my way up in order of bit size. I skipped one size because I got in a hurry, and ended up cuttign the bit instead of the yoke. And I didn't even use the yokes when I was done.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

grind the outside surface down just a Cu..hair and then drill through it. I have noticed that the outside surface of most metals is the hardest and once your through that your allmost home
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMXONR
I was driliing out the center of a yoke, and I just went with a small bit and worked my way up in order of bit size. I skipped one size because I got in a hurry, and ended up cuttign the bit instead of the yoke. And I didn't even use the yokes when I was done.
This is how I did it as well on my TLT outputs. Tried this after frying a couple bits first myself.
HannibalLecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

also, go as slow as possible and be sure to add some type of oil/coolant to keep the bits cool.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
MODERHATER™

Thought i'd throw this in, you can use mgt pinions in place of twins, they are longer and already have a hole.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have tried both Associated MGT pinions and HPI Savage pinions, the Savage pinion works better in my opinion. The axle would never run smooth with the MGT pinion. I think it is because the teeth on the mgt pinion are slightly curved/cupped. When looking from above, the look like this: (
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Try a pointed stone bit in a dermel tool. you need to get through the first layer. the part is most likly just "CASE HARDEND" this means just the outer layer (.010") is hardend.
or do like some others said to do and heat it up with a torch and let it cool down slowly, drill your hole then heat it back up to just about cherry red and quench it (cool it off) in some oil (used oil is the best. the more carbon in the oil the better), this will "reharden" it.
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

It will take you awhile. on or friends xj on the rear output shaft took 1 1/2 hours to drill 1/2 inch in the output yokes.
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

I see your problum. I tried making my own MAXX to NYLINT Adapters and started to drill through a bolt and my dad told me that the steel is almost to hard to drill through, and it will burn up most of your bits.
Well I didnt think he was right so I did it anyway and well.......burt up a bit. Hope this helps maybe you should try a different desighn
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have drilled a few sets of hardened steel 8mm pinions. The EASIEST method by far is to use a grinder and remove the hardened steel surface. Then center punch and drill the hole with ascending bit sizes.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Guess I've got lucky then. I've drilled 6 steel helical cut Twin Force pinions and have yet to chuck the same 1/8" bit in the drill doctor. I would put the pinion in my vise on the drill press,drill SUPER slow and add a few drops of water every little bit to keep the bit and part cooler.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote