Default Re: New toy for the shop, CNC Mill

Wow Mike thats a major toy very cool.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #102
Web Wheeling

Thanks Norm

I played with the tram a bit today, and I am happy with the results. I took test cuts in both the X and Y axis using the superfly.

First the Y axis pass, which tests the X tram. Its spot on, and the cross cuts show that its square in both axis.

And the X axis passs, I can feel the slightest ridge, but its very minor.

After that, I decided to start working on the counterweight bar for the Z axis. I first need to drill some holes in it, to bolt on the weights. I layed out some quick lines and marked where I wanted to drill my holes. Then I set it up in the vise and dropped the mill into low range. I used the conversational programming thats included with my controller to write up a quick deep hole drilling cycle. This seemed like the perfect little project to try using the conversational on, and its something I need to use more often. I had to tweak the program a few times, I forgot to set my Y numbers to negative numbers from the origin. And after a few plunges, I changed the depth of cut, spindle speed, and feed rate.

You can see my sharpie layout marks, and measurements.

I will drill the other side tomorrow, and possibly look at drilling the weights as well. But I need to finish getting my trucks ready for the first comp of the season, which is Sunday.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #103
Web Wheeling

Its been a busy summer at work, I haven't touched my mill at home much. But things are starting to settle down a bit.

Just got some new bits at work though for mold work. Long reach, reduced shank SGS S-Carbs. I've been using a 1/2" ball endmill from this series for awhile now, and its been great. Finally ordered up some more sizes that I have been needing.

3/8" square, 1/2" flute, 2" reach
1/4" ball, .375" flute, 2.25" reach
1/8" square, .150" flute, .75" reach

I might have to get some 1/8" bits in this style to use at home, would be nice to have the extra rigidity from the short flute when cutting deeper features into part.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #104
Web Wheeling

Saw a video from tested last night on a new laser cutter from a company called glowforge thats coming out soon. I've wanted one for awhile now, but most of the budget ones seem to be junk. Half way through the video I googled the machine and started looking at their site. They are doing pre-orders for 50% off, which lured me right in... I ended up ordering one with the vent. Should make delrin parts a lot easier. And I can see using it to prototype some parts as well, before putting them on the mill.

Only regret I have, is not reading comments in one of the articles on its release, and clicking on a referal. The referals give both people $100 off Glowforge - the 3D laser printer

Now to start thinking of things I can laser... I might have to start modeling up a scale interior that I can laser cut and assemble.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it has some handy features, especially for the price. I would think it could cut 1/4" to 3/8" Delrin? I miss playing with my dads 25w Epilog but it was only good up to 1/8".
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #106
I wanna be Dave

I have one of the chinese ebay units, 50w. Other than the terrible instructions and customer support, the unit has been rock solid, cuts well and has been fairly easy to use.. Doesn't have some of the features the above unit does, but it appears its around a 40w unit or so. Looks fun though with all the cool software stuff it has.

I dunno about using it in the kitchen or the living rooms though, some stuff makes NASTY smelling fumes that linger for hours. Remember, NO pvc or abs!

Ok, back to learning fusion 360 for me!

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #107
RCC Addict

If it has a vent I would put a simple activated charcoal "scrubber" on it to grab some of the nasty fumes if possible Heck if you had a fair price on laser cutting basswood wood I would be down. I can't exactly justify a $35 setup fee for cutting out a few models
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #108
Web Wheeling

Should be able to handle 1/4" delrin, would make cutting skid plates even faster.

I did order mine with their vent system, I find it odd that they even offer it without the vent?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Do they suggest a filter or to plumb it outside?
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #110
Web Wheeling

The base model includes a 4" vent hose that you can stick out a window... I opted to buy their hepa filter.

Reading up on the cutting side if it, it can only cut 1/4" deep. But with the camera alignment you can flip a part over, and cut from the other side. This allows you to cut 1/2" material.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #111
Web Wheeling

I added a cheap $350 3d printer to my list of shop toys after a black friday sale. Just finally getting it dialed in after weeks of tweaking the firmware and adjusting the mechanical bits.

Here is my first successful 10 hour long print, until this the longest prints I ran were 2-4 hours, many of which failed.

They are brackets that I will be machining out of aluminum for my CNC mill. I am finally working on my PDB design, these brackets are the first major step for the PDB.

Having the ability to print prototypes at home is pretty cool. And there are plenty of small simple parts that do not need to be strong, where a 3d printed PLA part should work just fine. Now I am debating if I want to invest a little more money into the printer, for a E3D hotend. That would allow me to use flexible filaments, which might be fun to play with.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Flexible filaments are fun but are also REALLY frustrating at times... so that is my take. They got their place but hey its your choice
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #113
Web Wheeling

Since I am finally working on the PDB for the mill, figured I might as well fix the backlash on my Y axis as well.

Last night I removed the ballscrew assembly, only to put it all back in tonight so that I could measure the backlash and pinpoint the issue....

Reading 0.0045" at the table

And around 0.0013" on the end of the ballscrew.

The ballscrew is massive!!

The next step is to unload the balls from the ballnut, counting every ball from each of the 3 circuits. I also need to get a average measurement down to the tenth. Then I can order new balls, and repack it. I might have to replace the tapered bearings as well, but I want to fix the ballnut first.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #114
Suck it up!

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #115
Web Wheeling

My mill has been torn apart for months now, partially from me procrastinating, but also waiting for open time on out Hurco VMX50 at work. I picked up the aluminum I needed a few weeks ago, and cut them at work last week. Tonight I bead blasted them and bolted them up.

I also reballed the ballnut... The first attempt was a failure as the balls were to big, and quickly locked things up. I ended up with balls that were supposed to be 0.0001" bigger.... But they are the same size as the old ones. So I still have backlash, but at least it is back together, and spins properly. I might attempt to reball it again after I make a few parts. Now that I have done it once, its not that bad.

Here is the to do list to get it running again
- Install motor pulley and belt
- Wire spindle motor
- Run new way lube oil lines
- reinstall y and x axis limit switches
- Install front way cover
- Install front table extension apron

Once I verify everything is working correctly, I also have a new touch screen monitor to install.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #116
Suck it up!

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #117
Web Wheeling

Its alive!!!!

The touch screen is a nice addition, I am to used to having touch screen panels at work.

Started squaring up some steel plate for the main power drawbar plate. Just ran this one using MDI, one line of code at a time.

Also enjoying the new Kurt D688 vise, with its massive jaw opening. Holding on to this 8" plate is a walk in the park for this vise.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #118
Web Wheeling

I cannot seem to leave well enough alone....

My tool changer drawing evolved as I started to think about what else I wanted to change. I never liked the base, and wanted a platform that I could build a enclosure from.

Took some creative clamping to hold everything in place

Something always has to go wrong on a project like this, and of course I failed to measure the actual location of the mounting holes.... They ended up being very close to the edge, so I decided to sleeve the holes with DOM tubing.

Built a shelf to mount the electronics enclosure on. You can also see all 4 mounting holes for the mill.

And months later.... Its finally painted, and I started moving the mill over to the new base today.

I also canceled my order for the glowforge laser, and ordered a larger machine off ebay. I feel this machine is a better fit for me, as I enjoy tinkering with my machines.

One night I cut out a pile of cardboard frame rails, until I found the perfect match with the stock frame rails. I am finding that it is a very handy tool to prototype parts

Now I need to clean the garage up a bit, then start working on figuring out where I want to mount all of the components on the mill. With the new base I can locate a number of the parts in better locations.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #119
Pebble Pounder

Looking good! About time we got an update.
rex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #120
Web Wheeling

Finished the main servo brackets, and the Y axis plate. I bought to small of a piece of aluminum for the X axis plate, hopefully I can pick that up this weekend. I also ordered the wrong pitch belt... New ones are on the way.

Also started work on the chip trays this weekend. This is the biggest sheet metal project I have taken on, and the first big project with the new HF metal brake. I need to buy some more steel for the bracing and mounting plates. So this is about as far as I can go for now.

New toy for the shop, CNC Mill - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CNC Router/Mill by Shapeoko 89redranger Tools, and Procedures 15 06-30-2013 09:22 AM
Anybody have any experience on a minitech cnc mill/2? klabeaume Tools, and Procedures 2 07-27-2012 02:27 PM
CNC Mill on the Cheap. (colorado) dezrik Chit Chat 0 12-06-2008 08:40 AM
Pics of my new cnc mill. BENDER Tools, and Procedures 18 11-22-2007 12:38 AM
Taig CNC mill bret4 Tools, and Procedures 6 09-22-2006 01:54 PM