Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Haha, that losi set is awesome too. And the best part is I use the losi tips in the dewalt driver and it's like double awesomeness!
I have the identical setup, the driver is amazing, bits are getting a bit soft though....
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wow some of you are using overkill for RC screws. If you're going to only use this screwdriver for this hobby or other light stuff, you don't have to spend much.

I have this Craftsman cordless screwdriver with an adjustable clutch and I love it. Best $40 I've spent.
Sears.com
I have 40+ cars/trucks never stripped a screw with this I run the clutch at 2-3 when in stalling then hand tighten. I find this a big time saver when needing repairs between races.
smiller605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Make sure that whatever driver you use has a good slipper and that you can turn it down and do the final tightening by hand. I also like a true 2mm hex driver rather than a 5/64" that comes in that Losi set. It's only 1.98438mm.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I use this one, best tool in my box. It has an adjustable clutch, and saves lots of time.

Ryobi TEK4 4-Volt Screwdriver-HP53LK at The Home Depot.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

i love this thing Shop Kobalt 32-Piece Double-Drive Screwdriver Set at Lowes.com worth every penny. the big one works for most rc uses i've encountered and the little one works for some grub screws and comes in handy for setting pocket knife hinge tension.
moron88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
i love this thing Shop Kobalt 32-Piece Double-Drive Screwdriver Set at Lowes.com worth every penny. the big one works for most rc uses i've encountered and the little one works for some grub screws and comes in handy for setting pocket knife hinge tension.
Love that set! I've had that set for probably 4 years, long before I got into RC crawlers. It's been great for general handyman work around the house.
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller605 View Post
I have 40+ cars/trucks never stripped a screw with this I run the clutch at 2-3 when in stalling then hand tighten. I find this a big time saver when needing repairs between races.
I picked up one of the Craftsman 4 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/4" drivers yesterday at my local Sears on an impulse buy. They had an an open box on a clearance table with a bunch of other ratty-looking items. There was nothing wrong with it. Only the cardboard outer display box was torn up. The plastic storage case and driver looked untouched. I verified that the driver worked. The charger was there. A few bits were missing, but I didn't care. I got it for $25.

Last edited by MailManX; 02-01-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

I have been really happy with my Dewalt Gyroscopic. Adjustable clutch, and variable speed, it was $80 from Amazon with two batteries. The price fluctuates I think. http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF680N...ic+screwdriver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I have been really happy with my Dewalt Gyroscopic. Adjustable clutch, and variable speed, it was $80 from Amazon with two batteries. The price fluctuates I think. DEWALT DCF680N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver 2 Battery Kit - Amazon.com
I gave that one some serious thought due to all of the glowing reviews it gets. For now, I decided against it only because I'm not convinced that it's a good fit for me. I'm an old dog who's used standard electric drivers for decades and I'm not sure I'm ready to try a new technique. However, to be fair, I've never actually used one. I really should find a demo unit in a store, or a friend who has one, and give it a try. You never know, there may yet be a new trick left for me to learn.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
...For now, I decided against it only because I'm not convinced that it's a good fit for me. I'm an old dog who's used standard electric drivers for decades and I'm not sure I'm ready to try a new technique.
It's definitely different. I have one and like it, but there are times when a standard switch operated driver would be better. Just yesterday I ran into problems with it because I didn't have the room to twist the driver to get it to drive the screw.

It has it's pros and cons.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #31

Bosch makes a really nice gun as well check it out
IIIlllllIIIIlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIlllllIIIIlll View Post
Bosch makes a really nice gun as well check it out
X2! I love my Bosch.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #33

I resisting the urge to get a driver. I told myself today, "I'm killing time for a reason"
scsbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

I really like my Makita 10.8 volt drill/driver with 3/8 chuck. I carry it in my toolbag to do the odd 1/4" sheet metal screws and other dutys working on furnaces/acs during the day (nice and light), then use it on my RCs at night. It's kind of like Batman haha. Unfortunately I sometimes forget to toss it back in the work van, which sucks. Too many years of banging hubcaps on in the past have taken their toll and the less twisting these wrists do the better. I guess I could use another drill. I'd rather spend the dough on SCX10 upgrades tho
I tighten screws close then hand tighten, but this May not be the best for newbies as you do have to be careful. Tho I thank heaven above for my Makita when a new set of bead locks comes my way. Can't they just use like 4 big screws? Lol
4WDwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"live" drill chuck for tail stock for a mini mill? BigSki Tools, and Procedures 12 07-24-2012 02:43 PM
Small, powered driver with a chuck? TunaMaxx Tools, and Procedures 14 11-19-2007 05:54 PM
"Combat Chuck" gets a brushless and heads to the race track! Kingofthehill Videos! 11 08-27-2007 11:28 AM