Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck?

All of my current cordless power tools are of the larger 18-20 volt variety. I don't want to use those on my new RC vehicles.

Therefore, since I'm in the market to buy a good quality smaller cordless driver, I need to consider the two different chuck options: adjustable vs 1/4" hex. I can think of pros and cons either way, so I'm going to rely on feedback from long-time RC hobbyists on what works best for you and why?

If you have a specific drill motor or driver that you particularly like, I'd love to hear about it, especially if it's currently available.

Thanks!
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I'd go with the standard 3/8" adjustable chuck, if you can only have one. Drill bits with the 1/4" hex ends are generally not as good or as commonly available as standard ones. I'm coming from a metalworking background, where quality trumps convenience. I've not seen a truly high quality set of hex drive drill bits yet.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I've not seen a truly high quality set of hex drive drill bits yet.
Good point. Quality is always important to me. I'm just a household handyman, but a pretty good one. I always buy quality tools and have never been disappointed.

For the driver, I was actually thinking more in terms of removing and re-installing screws than drilling holes. I'm sure before long I'll have removed and re-installed hundreds of hex screws in this new hobby of mine. That can get pretty tedious for my older senior-citizen wrists. However, it now occurs to me that I should probably just do what I have done for my larger cordless tools and buy TWO. I always have one of those chucked with a drill bit and the other with a driver bit. Much easier that way.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You really shouldn't be using any power drivers...way too easy to strip out the plastic.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Back when I was an aide in a school machine shop program one of the students gave me a pretty nice Dremel cordless power driver. Dang powerful but the only drawback was it had the 1/4" bit so sticking something like a chuck in was out of the question. That said if you use them for backing stuff out or getting it CLOSE and then snugging up by hand. Saves a lot of strain on beadlocks

I have to agree with the bit driver market being blah... but heck you get what you pay for
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The best, period.

Name:  panasonic ey7410.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  22.8 KB

Lithium, adjustable torque, BJ adapter...

and get one of these:

Name:  chuck.jpg
Views: 2197
Size:  31.2 KB

Last edited by GySgt Hartman; 01-29-2014 at 07:40 AM.
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just use hand tools, why risk over tighten/busted off screws....why need to deal with an extraction if it happens ??....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
The best, period.
I did a test on drivers for Old House Journal last summer, and that Panasonic won the best of class award.

To the OP...I think you need to decide what it is you are looking to do. Drivers aren't drills and drills aren't drivers.

I'm also a big hand tool advocate though. Actually I prefer T-handles.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Did a quick search and found this.

Cordless Drill

I have one of these Makita drivers. Absolutely love it.. Have been using it for more than 2 years now. Clutch works good.

Makita USA - Tool Details - DF010DSE

This would be my choice..
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

+1 on the Panny. People were using this 15 years ago with glowing reviews.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just got the Makita LCT209W 12-Volt Max Lithium Ion Cordless 2 Combo Kit Drill-Driver/Impact. I love it!

Attached Images

1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
R.I.P. Chip

I have one of these and this thing is amazing. One of the best tools ever for RC.

The video doesn't explain it fully, but you can hold it in any position, then when you push the trigger that sets the zero. Rotate it clockwise from there and it'll tighten rotate it more and it goes faster, rotate it counter clockwise and it'll loosen. Totally variable speed in forward and reverse and you don't have to flip any switches to do it.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
To the OP...I think you need to decide what it is you are looking to do. Drivers aren't drills and drills aren't drivers.

I'm also a big hand tool advocate though. Actually I prefer T-handles.
Agreed and understood. I have decided to buy a small cordless drill motor AND a cordless driver, each for a different purpose. I like the Panasonic (and similar) drivers both for their quality and the fact that the handles can be angled for different tasks and get into tight places.

I also like T-handled hand tools and intend to buy some high quality ones. I know better than to strip plastic with a power driver. I will use the power driver mostly for removal, and for starting longer screws. I will finish tightening by hand.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
R.I.P. Chip

Here this video shows it much better.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I have one of these and this thing is amazing.

Name:  jason tool.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  17.8 KB

One of the best tools ever for RC.
How many times have I heard that...

GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
R.I.P. Chip

Haha, that losi set is awesome too. And the best part is I use the losi tips in the dewalt driver and it's like double awesomeness!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have a Hitachi I bought on clearance at Lowes several years ago for $50. This one to be exact:

Hitachi DB10DL 10.8-Volt Lithium-Ion Micro Driver Drill - Amazon.com

Love the size. Powerful enough to do 95% of all drilling/driving tasks I need to do. Variable speed works great. LED lights on the front are actually very handy. One "feature" I like about it more than my comparable Milwaukee unit is the battery base allows it to stand up on it's own which turns out to be quite handy at times. I keep it, a set of Rigid 1/4" drive drill bits, and a pack of phillips bits in my desk drawer at home and I very rarely have to go into the garage to get another drill or higher quality bits to do a job. Only time I wished it was 3/8" chucked is when I need a very specific drill bit size that you can't really get easily in 1/4" drive bits. Lets face facts, for precision drilling I'm using a drill press not a hand drill. 1/4" speed bits and their wobbly connection is more than adequate for what I normally use a small hand drill/driver for which is small household tasks, assembling various unassembled things that the wife might bring into the house. Dismanteling toys my kid has broken, etc. I don't really use it or any power driver on RCs though.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Haha, that losi set is awesome too. And the best part is I use the losi tips in the dewalt driver and it's like double awesomeness!
Be careful...you could end up time traveling that way.

I have that same driver and it really is cool. I got it for free for doing that magazine review last summer. The best part is how easy it is to modulate the speed. Most other drivers are either "on" or "off" but this one is variable.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Wow some of you are using overkill for RC screws. If you're going to only use this screwdriver for this hobby or other light stuff, you don't have to spend much.

I have this Craftsman cordless screwdriver with an adjustable clutch and I love it. Best $40 I've spent.
Sears.com
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailManX View Post
All of my current cordless power tools are of the larger 18-20 volt variety. I don't want to use those on my new RC vehicles.

Therefore, since I'm in the market to buy a good quality smaller cordless driver, I need to consider the two different chuck options: adjustable vs 1/4" hex. I can think of pros and cons either way, so I'm going to rely on feedback from long-time RC hobbyists on what works best for you and why?

If you have a specific drill motor or driver that you particularly like, I'd love to hear about it, especially if it's currently available.

Thanks!
This set has been great, drill, hex driver, charger, two batteries and nice zippered carry bag! I've had Makita and Dewalt and Dewalt is much better ergonomics, power, battery life, and performance.
DCK211S2

12V MAX* Cordless Li-Ion Drill/Driver / Impact Driver Combo Kit

DCK211S2 12V MAX* Cordless Li-Ion Drill/Driver / Impact Driver Combo Kit | DEWALT Tools
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"live" drill chuck for tail stock for a mini mill? BigSki Tools, and Procedures 12 07-24-2012 02:43 PM
Small, powered driver with a chuck? TunaMaxx Tools, and Procedures 14 11-19-2007 05:54 PM
"Combat Chuck" gets a brushless and heads to the race track! Kingofthehill Videos! 11 08-27-2007 11:28 AM