Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Beginner Airbrush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Beginner Airbrush

Hi all,

I am still deciding wether to try an airbrush or just use the good old spray can,

Would a simple brush and propellant can be a good start or would I be just as well off using cans I am planning a 2 tone paint scheme any input would be greatfully recieved
ede670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

ehhh airbrushing is mainly good for details, I say go with spray paint for the base coats of the 2 tone and then feal in graphics with the air brush
1/18th_Nylint_Auzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you are going to want to get better at painting and try a few things then get a gun.
If you are just going to paint the one body, then get the can. Cause the brush will just sit on the shelf.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

I recently started painting all my bodies with an airbrush, actually it was about a year or so ago.

I like using an airbrush cuz it is cheaper in the long run and you can mix custom colors. Plus even my cheap airbrush is better for doing fades than a spray can.

I tried the can of propellant and hated it, too limited. I bought my airbrush at Hobbytown, it is a Badger Model250, single action, external mix, bottom feed.
http://www.badgerairbrush.com/airbrush2.html
I paid like $50 for it and it works great. I also picked up an adapter at the hobby shop to connect the airbrush line to the quick release coupler on my home air compressor, that is the best way to go I think.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Guys,

I am wanting to experiment in the future so I might just invest in a airbrush and a cheap compressor I think if I start of basic and then see what comes out .. a basic airbrush spray pattern does it go down to 1-2mm for fine details stuff...
Old 11-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

look for a single action to start out with. badger and paasche make some great stuff. I think Iwata might even have a single action as well. once you get good with that then go to a double action. great for details, shadowing and highlights.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I picked one up a year or so also, I have a Badger Anthem 155. its a dual cation internal mix. it comes with a hose that will attach to a can or compressor, several bottles and tools. it was $125 new. but it gives me great control, and will still lay out a good base coat quick like a spray can does.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've got a Badger Model 175, "Crescendo®" .. I took a few classes a couple of years ago. Never really got that good. Good enough to do a little custom work.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d
I picked one up a year or so also, I have a Badger Anthem 155. its a dual cation internal mix. it comes with a hose that will attach to a can or compressor, several bottles and tools. it was $125 new. but it gives me great control, and will still lay out a good base coat quick like a spray can does.

I have the same airbrush. Love it.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks

The Badger range seems to be one of the most used over here in the uk and seems pretty cheap for spares as well .....next thing to find is a cheap compressor I did read somewhere you can use an inner tube with an adaptor so I might get a truck inner tube I think a tractor will be 2 large