Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Tap and Die help on axle shafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tap and Die help on axle shafts

Is it possible to extend the threads on the axles (front and back). I have -5mm rims on a project right now, and the shafts stick way out. I would like to trim them, and re-die the shafts so the thread extends further in to the axle shaft. Can you die over existing threads to extend a thread?

I don't have any die experience, only tapping.. I also need advice on how to trim the shaft without killing the threads, or at least how to trim and keep the threads usable.

I believe the scx-10 axle shaft thread is M4 x .7 pitch, but I would like someone to chime in and confirm.

Photo courtesy of SDI International,

Last edited by Arctic Fire; 04-26-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Im no machinist, nor have I dealt with any shaft threading..... but I would assume as long as the non-threaded portion of the shaft is the appropriate diameter ot should not be an issue. Also as long as the die is placed correctly it should only clean the existing threads not damage them. If you get this far you could then trim the shaft to the length you want before removing the die

Sent from an SG3-Mini
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tap and Die help on axle shafts

before removing the die, that's a great idea. then it would back-thread the rough spot. I hadn't thought of this.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tap and Die help on axle shafts

Yes you can pass the die over the threaded section to add more threads, and as stated above as long as the shaft is the correct diameter for the thread you don't need to do anything else to prep it.

As far as saving the thread when you cut them off the easiest way is to thread a nut on past the point you're going to cut off. Then cut the shaft. When you remove the nut it will straighten any remove any little burrs off the end. You can also use the die itself but that can also cause premature wear on it.

The right way would be to buy a tool called thread chaser, it is basically a square rod that has different thead pitchs machined into the sides of it and you run it along the area you cut to clean up the threads and remove burrs. Most quality tool company's make them and can be purchased as most machine tool shops

--Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95; 04-26-2014 at 08:45 AM.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tap and Die help on axle shafts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metric tap and die set- where to buy? LoneRanger Tools, and Procedures 16 03-29-2014 05:05 PM
decent to good tap and die set??? donhd04 Tools, and Procedures 23 07-05-2012 12:54 AM
Suggestions for a Tap and Die set TJ_Shunk Tools, and Procedures 16 02-25-2010 08:37 PM
Tap and Die set... Synister_Intent Tools, and Procedures 12 11-06-2009 09:34 AM
Tap and Die kit????? John Deere Tools, and Procedures 15 09-18-2006 08:32 PM