Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Smith Little Torch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
axx

Default Smith Little Torch

Anyone actually used their torch with mapp gas. I was thinking that the finer tip of the smith torch and the easily availability of throwaway mapp cans would make a great combo?
axx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Smith Little Torch

I use mine with disposable MAPP canisters - works great. You will still need oxygen though.

Here's my setup:
Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures).
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I ran across this setup that only uses acet with a bottle of gas for 80 bucks....

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
I ran across this setup that only uses acet with a bottle of gas for 80 bucks....

How does this work for brazing tube work?
Thanks
scoutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
axx

Thanks for the link. I remember reading that, which is why I really want the smith torch, your explanation and work is great. I did hope you could just hook up one tube to the mapp and that would be it. But, if I need the o2, then so be it
Old 05-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axx View Post
Thanks for the link. I remember reading that, which is why I really want the smith torch, your explanation and work is great. I did hope you could just hook up one tube to the mapp and that would be it. But, if I need the o2, then so be it

The oxygen is the way to go. A bottle of each will last a long time, while offering much better control.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdawg View Post
Thanks
I would imagine that air acetylene torch works just as well if not better than the
oxy mapp setup. I think Acet. can reach a higher temp then mapp.
I chose to use oxy mapp vs air acet. because I didn't want to have an acet. tank hanging around the house, and it would most likely be sitting outside most of the time in the sun, etc.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
axx

That's exactly my thoughts, which is why I was thinking more map than acetylene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdawg View Post
Thanks
works twice as fast as MAPP....

rockhugger

"I chose to use oxy mapp vs air acet. because I didn't want to have an acet. tank hanging around the house"

really no different having MAPP bottles about, thicker tank with acet then MAPP....I have had mine in my shop that is a 8x10 metal shed in the sun, I go in sometimes in the summer heat and sun after I open the door to let it air out....
Old 05-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have the same setup as Highmark. If you have the cash to burn (pun intended), it's the way to go. I would recommend MAPP Oxy as well. I burns plenty hot for what we do and you don't get the "feathers" all over if you use it indoors.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
works twice as fast as MAPP....

rockhugger

"I chose to use oxy mapp vs air acet. because I didn't want to have an acet. tank hanging around the house"

really no different having MAPP bottles about, thicker tank with acet then MAPP....I have had mine in my shop that is a 8x10 metal shed in the sun, I go in sometimes in the summer heat and sun after I open the door to let it air out....

it would work for me if I owned my home, and I did like the simplicity of Acet. air, but I'm renting space so it was more of a concern and consideration to the home owners. Soot was another consideration when we talked about it also, as we share garage space. sucks, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee95 View Post
I have the same setup as Highmark. If you have the cash to burn (pun intended), it's the way to go. I would recommend MAPP Oxy as well. I burns plenty hot for what we do and you don't get the "feathers" all over if you use it indoors.
Yes, soot, can be a concern too.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I don't get any soot with my set up....
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
I use almost the same setup. It was actually my girlfriend's that she bought for Metalsmithing and jewelry work. It has 4 tips and I really like it:

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I use almost the same setup. It was actually my girlfriend's that she bought for Metalsmithing and jewelry work. It has 4 tips and I really like it:

all I heard was "girl" "metalsmithing" 6 to 12 scwhing
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I'm not trying to poo poo the Acetylene setup, but if my memory of my research serves me correctly, the Oxy / Fuel setup allows the ability to get down to a much smaller tip, allowing a puny little flame, thus more control in small spaces.

Ideally I'd like to have both, because I'm just that way, but only having to turn on one tank is nice. If I know I'm not using my oxygen for a while, I feel like I'm bleeding off a lot from the reg. If it's just overnight, I leave the the reg. pressurized and just close the tank.

Am I doing it wrong, should I just close the tank all the time, leaving the reg. under pressure? it's been a few months since I've used this time around.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

yeah that is basically the same, I just have that big iron for doing stained glass work....but I'm looking into a better valve then the one it has as in your pic, it only turns on/off doesn't allow pressure adjustment....
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I'm not trying to poo poo the Acetylene setup, but if my memory of my research serves me correctly, the Oxy / Fuel setup allows the ability to get down to a much smaller tip, allowing a puny little flame, thus more control in small spaces.

Ideally I'd like to have both, because I'm just that way, but only having to turn on one tank is nice. If I know I'm not using my oxygen for a while, I feel like I'm bleeding off a lot from the reg. If it's just overnight, I leave the the reg. pressurized and just close the tank.

Am I doing it wrong, should I just close the tank all the time, leaving the reg. under pressure? it's been a few months since I've used this time around.
what I do when I'm done using mine is, I light the torch then close the valve until the flame goes out....that way all pressure is off and out of everything ....

Smith Little Torch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everything you need to know about the Smith Little Torch (with pictures). Highmark Tools, and Procedures 35 08-03-2017 09:35 AM
Smith mini torch mtgrizzlymn Tools, and Procedures 8 07-27-2013 11:57 PM
Smith little torch thumper68 Tools, and Procedures 49 02-21-2012 08:36 AM
Brazing,Micro-torch or Normal size torch? xyzoose Tools, and Procedures 4 03-04-2010 09:47 PM