Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Mini extractor set?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Mini extractor set?

So my wife is "helping" me build my Wraith kit. Well driving the bolts to hold the diff cover into the axel housing is pretty tough. Since we're sharing tools she must have had a worn bit and it started slipping and stripped the hex head.

So the screw is all the way in now and piece mounted but I would really like to replace that bad screw. I'm sure down the road I'll upgrade or need to get in there to do some repairs. I saw a mini extractor set on Amazon for like $25 that got decent reviews. Sounds like it is more for watches and computers but it still might do the job. So, what do you guys recommend?

PS: I tried about every bit I have, even a torx but I have nothing that will bite (plus it is a tight fit, taking decent force to drive it in so I don't expect it to come out too easily). Couldn't get needle nose vise grips on it either. I know down the road I could remove the other bolts and man handle the cover to get at it or even just cut the head off but I'm far from that point right now.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mini extractor set?

You should be able to grab it with a pair of dykes and turn it back out.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

what about driving a bigger hex into it with a hammer ??....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Diff cover bolts use a 1.5mm hex driver, when they strip use a 1/16 hex driver in place, works perfect and will get it out so you can replace it

Get this tool set, best hex drivers for RC:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKTP2
These tools are quality and wont strip out your hardware.

Last edited by WAFFLE; 05-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
You should be able to grab it with a pair of dykes and turn it back out.
You mean just try and grab it with friction using diagonal cutters? It was a tight fit for the threads, not sure I can get a good enough grip and traction to rotate it out but I might try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
wh.at about driving a bigger hex into it with a hammer ??....
Hadn't thought about that. I could try that. Not sure there is much left to grab though

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFFLE View Post
Diff cover bolts use a 1.5mm hex driver, when they strip use a 1/16 hex driver in place, works perfect and will get it out so you can replace it Get this tool set, best hex drivers for RC:
TowerHobbies.com | Integy Ti-Nitride Hex Wrench Set (7)
These tools are quality and wont strip out your hardware.
Tried the 1/16 th and either it was too big or still didn't bite, don't remember which one. Might try the hammering it in idea.

Thanks for the link. I actually have a good set of Hex wrenches that fit real nice except we were working together so she was using some cheap ones. Then once it started it was most of the way in. I should have backed it out right then but since it was so close and I wanted to "finish" the part I drove it in not out . Hindsight is 20/20, I should have taken it out while there was still some edges to grab. It is quite rounded now .
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Use a 1.5mm throwaway Allen, then fill the head with jb weld, insert Allen. Let dry/cure and remove.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Take your dremel tool and cut a slot into the head of the bolt, then use a screw driver and back it out with style!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Use a 1.5mm throwaway Allen, then fill the head with jb weld, insert Allen. Let dry/cure and remove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Take your dremel tool and cut a slot into the head of the bolt, then use a screw driver and back it out with style!
Both good suggestions for getting it done and back to work.

Also a decent smaller size back out set has helped me, basically smaller left hand drill bit and left hand tap. Has got me out of a couple situations.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. Great idea on the JB weld. Was almost at the point of trying the slotting method too. I finally did manage to grab it from the side with some needle noses and get it out.

I think I will get a small extractor set just to have because someday it may save me and I'd hate to really need it and not have it. I've seen this one Alden 4507P Micro Grabit Broken Bolt Extractor 4 Piece Kit - Threading Tap Extractors - Amazon.com but it only deals with 3mm on the small side. Then there is this one that has the appropriate mm sizes but not sure it'll work on the hexes: Amazon.com: Moody Tools 58-0670 6-Piece Slot/Phil/Screw Extractor Combo Reversible Driver Set: Industrial & Scientific.

Thought?

Mini extractor set? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripped Hex Screw - Craftsman Screw Extractor bigstu Tools, and Procedures 8 11-05-2011 08:48 AM
screw extractor bit ? Aggie01 Tools, and Procedures 4 02-05-2011 02:18 PM
The 'Tooth Extractor' version 2.0 Action Photos(56k warning!) gregrocks90046 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 04-20-2005 06:53 PM