RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   Terrific New Helping Hand "ThirdHandMan" for Soldering (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/498506-terrific-new-helping-hand-thirdhandman-soldering.html)

MailManX 06-14-2014 09:54 PM

Terrific New Helping Hand "ThirdHandMan" for Soldering

16 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a new tool called the “ThirdHandMan”. My review of this tool is beneath this picture. If you don’t wish to read the whole review, I will summarize – I LOVE THIS TOOL!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286139

As an avid RC hobbyist who loves electric RC vehicles, I do a fair amount of soldering. I have always used “helping hands” to assist me, but I have never been fond of them. I find them to be clunky and inflexible.<o:p></o:p>
Recently, I searched for something better. I found a set of "QuadHands" on Amazon that I almost purchased, then decided to do a bit more research. In an RC forum, I found a reference to a tool called the "Third Hand, Helping Hand". It led me to this video on Youtube which is :<o:p></o:p>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8wV6jpsvys<o:p></o:p>
After watching the video, I went to the ebay listings and was impressed by the unique, artistic individuality of each piece. No two are exactly alike. The inventor doesn't use a generic photo. Rather, each unique piece gets its own pictures. I was able to pick the shape and color I wanted:<o:p></o:p>
http://www.ebay.com/sch/rjter50/m.html?item=291081088130&hash=item43c5c8ec82&pt=Ra dio_Control_Vehicles&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562<o:p></o:p>
The shipping was really fast! I had my new tool just three days after I placed the order. I was just as enthralled with it in person as I was with video and pictures. I put it right to use soldering some wire connections. Not only does this tool look very cool, it really WORKS!<o:p></o:p>
The artistic looking base is made of a concrete-type substance that is quite heavy, so it sits well on a table without tipping.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286144

Even better, the inventor went "above and beyond" for the bottom of the base. He could have stuck on 4 felt or rubber tabs and called it a day. But no, he covered the entire underside of the base with a textured non-skid rubber material, then chamfered it all the way around for a very clean look. The tool stays wherever you put it. Period.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286145

Attachment 286142

The ThirdHandMan comes apart and goes back together very easily. It can be stored flat, if you wish. It is shipped that way. It takes all of 30-seconds to screw the 4 arms into the base. Although the base is a concrete-like substance, the screw-in fittings are metal inserts that are strongly and permanently bonded in place. You will not damage or loosen them with repeated usage.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286143

Attachment 286146

Attachment 286147

The arms of the ThirdHandMan are long, flexible and strong. You can put them in any position you want and they stay there. This awesome tool will tirelessly hold wires in exactly the positions I need for as long as I want. Small adjustments are simple and non-frustrating. The four long arms make it easy to do a complex solder intersection of multiple wires coming in from different angles. The arms are quite strong, too, capable of lifting and holding heavy objects.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286148

Attachment 286149

The ThirdHandMan is able to reach over my RC to hold wires that my previous “helping hand” could never reach.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286150

Here are some pictures of the ThirdHandMan inspecting the original helping hand. That little old tool is helpless against the new ThirdHandMan. The third hand man towers over it with many times the reach. The original helping hand is fairly heavy, but the ThirdHandMan can lift and hold it in place with just one arm. That’s impressive!<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286151

Attachment 286152

Attachment 286153

Attachment 286154

Attachment 286155

This ThirdHandMan tool is a complete pleasure to use and I highly recommend it to anyone for home hobby work. In addition to soldering, it can be used for all kinds of crafting. I think every "handy" family needs one of these. When it's not in use, I display mine proudly on a shelf as art. People who visit usually ask me what the heck it is, then I show them. It’s a great conversation starter.<o:p></o:p>
Attachment 286156

BDR 06-16-2014 09:30 PM

Re: Terrific New Helping Hand "ThirdHandMan" for Soldering

That is a great idea for coolant hose:shock:"thumbsup"

Too bad he wont ship to Aus, but easy enough to make:ror:

MailManX 06-16-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDR (Post 4808294)
That is a great idea for coolant hose:shock:"thumbsup"

Too bad he wont ship to Aus, but easy enough to make:ror:

I'm sorry to hear that he won't ship to Aus. I don't believe this is a full-on business for him, although I could be wrong about that. I have exchanged a few e-mails with Bob and he's a really decent guy and easy to talk to. I got the impression that this is kind of a hobby turned into small side business, so shipping outside the US would be an unknown for him.

It would probably be cost prohibitive anyway. I have a life-long friend who used to live in Australia and now lives in NZ. I have shipped stuff to him at both locations from the US and it was pretty pricey. A couple years ago, he wanted a bunch of crossword puzzle books that he could not find locally. I think I spent $20 on the books and $50 on the shipping. :shock:

When I wrote this review, I considered the fact that most RC enthusiasts likely have the talent to make a tool like this and I worried a bit about hurting his business by posting here. However, I got Bob's permission. In addition, I figure that by the time a person figures out how to make one of these, they'd have more money tied up into it than just purchasing one to begin with. That's not to mention the time it would take - which is time one could be out playing with the RC. "thumbsup"

MountainStorm 06-16-2014 10:07 PM

As a craftsman I advocate supporting other craftsmen by BUYING THEIR STUFF. That's a neat tool. I think I need one now.

MailManX 06-16-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainStorm (Post 4808343)
As a craftsman I advocate supporting other craftsmen by BUYING THEIR STUFF. That's a neat tool. I think I need one now.

I completely agree! I also understand that a forum like this one with world-wide reach may end up showing products that are not available in one's own country.

BDR 06-16-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailManX (Post 4808324)
When I wrote this review, I considered the fact that most RC enthusiasts likely have the talent to make a tool like this and I worried a bit about hurting his business by posting here. However, I got Bob's permission. In addition, I figure that by the time a person figures out how to make one of these, they'd have more money tied up into it than just purchasing one to begin with. That's not to mention the time it would take - which is time one could be out playing with the RC. "thumbsup"

I honestly went straight to FleaBag to buy it"thumbsup" , but was cut off at the pass.

Quite a lot of people in the US have trouble with shipping any where apart from the usual 48 states:lmao:

MailManX 06-16-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDR (Post 4808385)
I honestly went straight to FleaBag to buy it"thumbsup" , but was cut off at the pass.

Quite a lot of people in the US have trouble with shipping any where apart from the usual 48 states:lmao:

Ain't that the truth! Alaska? Hawaii? What country are those in again?

"Ifn's ya cain't drive thar, it must not be in the good ol' U. S. of A. Ahyup!"

Ok, we don't all talk like that. Heh, heh. But there are definitely a few! I can make fun of it, I was born here. I've even been to both of those other "countries". That makes me a world traveler!

Seriously though - I'm glad you liked the review and were interested enough to try and place an order. I sent Bob an e-mail and asked him to monitor this forum. As far as I know, he's not a member, but maybe he will join and comment.

BigSki 06-17-2014 10:15 AM

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...handman-11.jpg

Game over!! :lmao:

Great review. I will bookmark this thread and use the fleabay link as soon as I can buy one.

C*H*U*D 06-17-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDR (Post 4808385)

I think Sparkfun ships to Australia:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11784

badhoopty 06-17-2014 11:25 AM

thats dope. im off to ebay!

CrawlSD 06-18-2014 12:59 AM

Great review. Thanks for posting. "thumbsup"

507Eli 06-18-2014 07:38 AM

Placed my order yesterday! Thanks for the review!

skerb 06-18-2014 08:55 AM

Just ordered one, thanks for the review

MailManX 06-18-2014 02:46 PM

I hope that each of you who purchased one are as happy as I am with mine! Please let us know what you think after using it a time or two.

rj_dio 06-23-2014 04:54 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this! Ordering one up now. I've used a lot of lousy third hands....all of them so far, so this looks like the last one I'll ever need.
"thumbsup"

Harley 07-06-2014 08:11 PM

Very interesting little piece! So simple it makes you want to build one, but for the cost, it doesn't make sense to not just buy one.

badhoopty 07-07-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MailManX (Post 4810835)
I hope that each of you who purchased one are as happy as I am with mine! Please let us know what you think after using it a time or two.

i got mine awhile back, the guy definitely ships FAST.

its a neat little doohickey for sure. i like how the clamps can be replaced if they get too hot and lose spring tension. my next time brazing im definitely going to use this thing. just gotta be carefull not to swing the torch to close to the plastic bits. 8)

JokersWild 07-18-2014 10:21 PM

Great looking tool and great price, but I gotta know...........

Who's your interior decorator? And flip phones are so 1998 lol :mrgreen:

MailManX 07-18-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JokersWild (Post 4839365)
Great looking tool and great price, but I gotta know...........

Who's your interior decorator? And flip phones are so 1998 lol :mrgreen:

Ha, ha! Good ones! My interior decorator is "Marriott Residence Inn" of El Segundo, CA. I was on business travel for most of the past year and that was my hotel of choice. It wasn't pretty, but it was clean and roomy and had a full kitchen. I like to cook my own food rather than eat out most of the time.

As for the flip phone, my company provides it, but I actually like it. I don't need to carry a computer that can also be a phone. I just need a good phone. It does exactly what I need.

Brainanator 07-21-2014 07:56 PM

This thing looks amazing. I was almost about to fall into the trap of buying a conventional "helping hands", which would have been better than my current "rubber band around pliers" system. Added this to my wishlist for sure!