Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Kinggees new toy for the shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Kinggees new toy for the shop

With the title of partial owner/fabrication ninja for 5th Dimension I forced myself to purchase a new toy. CAD to CAM than CNC has been a big learning curve only knowing the CAD side of it but after about 30 hours I was able to produce some test items. Still alot to learn as this is only baby steps. Its a Probotix Asteroid running on the linux software. CAD/CAM system i purchased was from Dolphin. Cutting surface should be adequate for now. Hoping to dive farther into the CNC world and start creating awesome products. Nice feature about the Probotix I also liked was the option to add a 4th rotary axis. For now just went with the tool height sensor.

Machine after disassembling the massive crate.

Test chassis outta delrin.

After playing around with it I seeked the advice of the interweb and decided a custom vacuum table was in order. The whole double back tape just doesnt work well.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
5th D Owner/Driver

Default Re: Kinggees new toy for the shop

I can't wait to come over and check it out, we're almost in business!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

This is awesome that your diving right in! Looks like you'll be up and running in no time Dan!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing what you think up.
onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
Custom Carbon Fiber

Oh your about to have some REAL fun
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Very nice
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Dan .!!!!

Good addition with the tool height pad and vacuum table.

One thing you might consider down the road is a water cooled router head. They reduce that annoying motor & spindle noise by 75% .

Yul no longer will need to stuff 2 sets of ear plugs in your ears and a set of ear muffs to to keep from going insane from the 200dbi noise level

Now DO WORK - MAKE CHIPS
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
Looking good Dan .!!!!

Good addition with the tool height pad and vacuum table.

One thing you might consider down the road is a water cooled router head. They reduce that annoying motor & spindle noise by 75% .

Yul no longer will need to stuff 2 sets of ear plugs in your ears and a set of ear muffs to to keep from going insane from the 200dbi noise level

Now DO WORK - MAKE CHIPS
Already been looking into that. Pretty big expense. Noise levels arent too bad. Already half deaf from being a mechanic. Just about got it dialed in and comfortable with it. Finding out that i need to install my variable speed controller on the router though. Kind of a pain guessing how fast its spinning. Already got the controller just need to wire it up.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: Kinggees new toy for the shop

Machinist Tool's and Machinery

I had to attend a 12 step program to help with my tool and machinery junky addiction problem

I wanted one of those and one of those and one of those and one of those and on & on & on that maybe's why my 1st wife divorced me

Now I just sell stuff I don't use anymore to guys like you that are in denial

Now its this RC Comp Crawler addiction I may need HELP WITH

Last edited by Tom G; 05-21-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
With the title of partial owner/fabrication ninja for 5th Dimension I forced myself to purchase a new toy. CAD to CAM than CNC has been a big learning curve only knowing the CAD side of it but after about 30 hours I was able to produce some test items. Still alot to learn as this is only baby steps. Its a Probotix Asteroid running on the linux software. CAD/CAM system i purchased was from Dolphin. Cutting surface should be adequate for now. Hoping to dive farther into the CNC world and start creating awesome products. Nice feature about the Probotix I also liked was the option to add a 4th rotary axis. For now just went with the tool height sensor.

Machine after disassembling the massive crate.

Test chassis outta delrin.

After playing around with it I seeked the advice of the interweb and decided a custom vacuum table was in order. The whole double back tape just doesnt work well.
Checked out the spec on there site nice toy I like the dual stepper motors
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I work with double back tape a *LOT* so I can give a few tips without giving all my secrets away

We use acrylic tables to machine parts on frequently with double-stick tape. The tape works great on the acrylic if it is *CLEAN.* We will wash material with soap and water to get it nice n clean and "sticky" if you slide your finger across it. On the table we clean it with denatured alcohol and use a scotch-brite to scuff it up a little for traction.

Other thing is double stick tape is only so sticky. If you can use it to hold parts for say... drilling and then use screws to hold them down so you can push the machine as fast as the tools/spindle allow the tape helps correct for inconsistent material thickness that can lead to chatter.

One last thing is try and setup a simple air blast and vac setup if you don't have one already. Not only does it cut down on mess but the air really helps improve finish on plastic where the heat from cutting can get pretty high due to friction. Also it helps cut down on burrs
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I work with double back tape a *LOT* so I can give a few tips without giving all my secrets away

We use acrylic tables to machine parts on frequently with double-stick tape. The tape works great on the acrylic if it is *CLEAN.* We will wash material with soap and water to get it nice n clean and "sticky" if you slide your finger across it. On the table we clean it with denatured alcohol and use a scotch-brite to scuff it up a little for traction.

Other thing is double stick tape is only so sticky. If you can use it to hold parts for say... drilling and then use screws to hold them down so you can push the machine as fast as the tools/spindle allow the tape helps correct for inconsistent material thickness that can lead to chatter.

One last thing is try and setup a simple air blast and vac setup if you don't have one already. Not only does it cut down on mess but the air really helps improve finish on plastic where the heat from cutting can get pretty high due to friction. Also it helps cut down on burrs
Thanks for the advice. Got the vacuum table done and helps alot but decreased the z travel. Still have enough though for sheet stock. May have to look into the acrylic sheet idea. Already looking at a small air blast setup to go along with the vaccum. Cant get enough of this thing.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Vaccu tables are pretty cool but don't always "work" to well depending on what your doing. If I get some time ill shoot a PM with a few helpful ideas ive "come up with" over time if you will. It is all a learning process but you will learn tricks with your particular machine as time goes on
Old 05-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Vaccu tables are pretty cool but don't always "work" to well depending on what your doing. If I get some time ill shoot a PM with a few helpful ideas ive "come up with" over time if you will. It is all a learning process but you will learn tricks with your particular machine as time goes on
Already learning alot. Any additional tips and tricks are always welcome here. Look forward to hearing from ya if and when ya get a chance.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Vaccum table not so hot for the smaller pieces. Picked up a acrylic sheet. Bam instant success. So good the tape is now the hard part to peel off. Thanks again for the tip. Saved me alot of frustration.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
Vaccum table not so hot for the smaller pieces. Picked up a acrylic sheet. Bam instant success. So good the tape is now the hard part to peel off. Thanks again for the tip. Saved me alot of frustration.
No problem dude trust me I had enough fun myself with the tape so I feel it is fair to give all the advice i can
Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I use and have recommended to others this Peachtree brand tape from Amazon. Goes on easy, comes off easily, leaves no residue but holds like crazy. It will pull if your part doesn't have enough surface area so some experimentation is required. It's about .006" thick.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

U GO GEE

Before you know it you will designing parts for the scale crowd
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
I use and have recommended to others this Peachtree brand tape from Amazon. Goes on easy, comes off easily, leaves no residue but holds like crazy. It will pull if your part doesn't have enough surface area so some experimentation is required. It's about .006" thick.
Ill give that a shot. Ran out of tape sat. Only thing i could find locally was a double back duck tape. Was actually surprised. Little clean up where the tool got it but held pretty well.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
U GO GEE

Before you know it you will designing parts for the scale crowd
Well see. Anythings possible. Got alot of ideas to play with for the crawler side.

Kinggees new toy for the shop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New toy for the shop, CNC Mill Etype R Tools, and Procedures 124 01-09-2017 10:37 AM
New toy..... Soulo747 Non Crawler RC's 7 03-01-2013 06:24 PM
Toy crawlers r1 to formula toy Toycrawler5481 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 06-09-2011 06:49 PM
I got a new toy! PEDEcrawlerguy Tools, and Procedures 18 10-28-2008 02:49 PM
new toy jmeek Chit Chat 3 12-27-2006 11:32 PM