I just 3d printed thisName:  uploadfromtaptalk1432212166501.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  79.6 KB
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3d printed Jack stand

Wow looking good .I'm looking to buy one of these 3D printer,but no nothing about certain brands...
Can you tell what type your using....Brand name and price..
I see Hobbyking has them fairly cheap....

forgot, how long did it take to print that stand.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

i thought i just throw this at you.I bought a used Exo Terra Buggy couple weeks ago and was very surprise to see this in the lose parts bag.....
This is the front toe block...

I Hope you don't mine me cluttering up your thread... check out how many layers there is...

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 05-21-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

about 40 minutes to print all 3 parts, mine is a robo 3d. i printed on medium quality, if i printed it on high quality the base of the jack would have 336 layers
Old 05-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

learning to design in cad is the hardest part and the printer requires alot more settings then a regular printer at home but it is a blast.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoopdog View Post
learning to design in cad is the hardest part and the printer requires alot more settings then a regular printer at home but it is a blast.
Cool.Imagine printing out most of the parts for a rc crawler or anything for that matter...I got to have one...no more fabricating just press enter and print how cool is that..
Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

its pretty awesome you can make you a new comb, or your dog a new chew toy, or rc parts, or vacuum connectors for a full size car, or even a dash panel for it. all the way down to people and shovels for a scale crawler.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
What could go wrong?

Very cool! Been meaning to make some jack stands for myself soon (actually have a robo3d r1 as well, as it happens). The technology and how it's advanced so fast certainally pretty amazing.

@rustneversleeps, as it happens, that's pretty much what I'm doing right now with my 8x8 project - everything from the body to the winch housing, the transfer case, cross members, etc is or will be printed. There's some structural areas where it's not a good idea, but the majority of non super stressed spots it's great.
Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

im about to start a custom tube chassis i will weld all the chassis together but almost everything else on it will be printed, interior, light buckets, roof, hood, doors, and im thinking of making a transmission and transfercase together, have selectable 2 or 4 wd. and high and low range.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #10
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=Noll11;5229413]Very cool! Been meaning to make some jack stands for myself soon (actually have a robo3d r1 as well, as it happens). The technology and how it's advanced so fast certainally pretty amazing.

@rustneversleeps, as it happens, that's pretty much what I'm doing right now with my 8x8 project - everything from the body to the winch housing, the transfer case, cross members, etc is or will be printed. There's some structural areas where it's not a good idea, but the majority of non super stressed spots it's great.[/QUOTE
i wondering what type of plastic your using.Is it readily available.Wouldn't it have to be strong enough not to break.i want one soon.....and looks like fun to make stuff too..
Start your own business making parts and your buddies will be over can you make this can you make that....
Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
Very cool! Been meaning to make some jack stands for myself soon (actually have a robo3d r1 as well, as it happens). The technology and how it's advanced so fast certainally pretty amazing.

@rustneversleeps, as it happens, that's pretty much what I'm doing right now with my 8x8 project - everything from the body to the winch housing, the transfer case, cross members, etc is or will be printed. There's some structural areas where it's not a good idea, but the majority of non super stressed spots it's great.
i wondering what type of plastic your using.Is it readily available.Wouldn't it have to be strong enough not to break.i want one soon.....and looks like fun to make stuff too..
Start your own business making parts and your buddies will be over can you make this can you make that....
I'm using ABS (the two main ones are ABS and PLA - abs is more durable but trickier to get it to print nicely). It is quit easy to find; there are tons of reatilers doing everything from normal abs to clear, tinted, wood grain, etc.
As it so happens, starting up a business is exactly why I got it haha . Became a vendor on here recently, and am going to be doing full hard-bodies, as well as other scale and functional items (in the final stages before selling them, test printing this weekend I hope. I have a thread in the vendor's section with lots of pics of what I'm doing).

here's a pic of the cab for my 8x8 I'm working on. I need to have the whole truck done for a comp in 3 weeks,so I'm going to be using it as a test piece for printing:

Noll11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll11 View Post
I'm using ABS (the two main ones are ABS and PLA - abs is more durable but trickier to get it to print nicely). It is quit easy to find; there are tons of reatilers doing everything from normal abs to clear, tinted, wood grain, etc.
As it so happens, starting up a business is exactly why I got it haha . Became a vendor on here recently, and am going to be doing full hard-bodies, as well as other scale and functional items (in the final stages before selling them, test printing this weekend I hope. I have a thread in the vendor's section with lots of pics of what I'm doing).

here's a pic of the cab for my 8x8 I'm working on. I need to have the whole truck done for a comp in 3 weeks,so I'm going to be using it as a test piece for printing:

hey man sounds good i'll go check it out.....how did you figure out the scale,or does the program figure that out for you..cool stuff.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Wow looking good .I'm looking to buy one of these 3D printer,but no nothing about certain brands...
Can you tell what type your using....Brand name and price..
I see Hobbyking has them fairly cheap....

forgot, how long did it take to print that stand.
If your not sure about "what" 3D printer to get maybe try poking around like 3D hubs with a simple file and have a few people with different printers print the model so you can get an idea of what different printers can do. For me I use an UM2 to do 3D Hubs stuff and just printing items for myself.

All I can say is steer clear of the HK one... it looks like more trouble than it is worth quite honestly go with a good printer with good support and you won't regret it! They do sometimes decide to throw a hissy fit so having a good support base can mean the difference between a frustrating afternoon or stuff going nice n easy . Printrbot makes some nice printers on the cheap which is good if your wanting to get into the field without spending $$$$$ on a $2,500 machine
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

What software, the is cheap, is good for the beginner?
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdaveb View Post
What software, the is cheap, is good for the beginner?
you mean like 3D cad software? I don't reccomend Sketchup since it makes some pretty bad files I have heard of stuff like TinkerCAD but never used it. If you can look around on Google and you may find some usable stuff. The main problem is if you get a bad file trying to print it can be a disaster
Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Tinker cad works nice for basic stuff.I've used sketch up in not very happy with it though.I'm about to buy some actual software just to do away with the issues.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoopdog View Post
Tinker cad works nice for basic stuff.I've used sketch up in not very happy with it though.I'm about to buy some actual software just to do away with the issues.
Sketchup is great if your trying to make a VERY basic solid shape. Anytime you go adding holes to the model is when Sketchup freaks out and fills in some areas you may have not wanted filled in and it becomes a mess . I have made some parts for someone who used Autodesk Inventor and Fusion 360 and had 0 issues with the files not cheap software but when the 3D printed threads fit together like a charm, you know its some good stuff

3d printed Jack stand - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
styrene jack stand pardonmyn00b Scale Accessories 1 06-26-2009 10:54 PM