Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: hex wrenches: hudy vs MIP vs SnapOn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Default hex wrenches: hudy vs MIP vs SnapOn

I tried both SnapOn and MIP 1.5mm hex wrenches, and MIP is holding up way better.

How does Hudy compare to MIP?
JabbaTheTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Default Re: hex wrenches: hudy vs MIP vs SnapOn

Hudy makes a great product no question. But for the money spent I love my MIPs. I feel they are about the same, I leave my Hudy set at home because I don't want one to walk away at the track. Both have a great replacement policy as well. can't go wrong either way.
BCrumB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

MIP Thorpe all the way. Wish I would have never sold my set. Slowly piecing together another off friends and Amazon.

My crappy Dynamite reds outlasted a set of Hudy. Look cool but the tips aren't any better than the cheaper stuff.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have mip, I like mip.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have the snap on one's discussed in another thread here and mip thorp and I have put the snapon ones in the house tool collection for my wife. Don't get me wrong I have loads of snapon tools been to the plant alot. However mip thorp is in my rc tool box and the box that I use for work.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I prefer hudy over mip, but hey its just a preference.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The integy drivers that have the tinitride tips are good as well. I have had mine for years and they are still holding up great. Integy doesn't make the bits so they are much higher quality than the usual integy stuff.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

MIP and then the cheap Dynamite Red Handles.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
Suck it up!

LockedUp makes some nice replacement tips. I bought 3 or 4 and stuck them in some cheap Chinese handles I stripped out long ago but never threw away. I've had them for a while now, barely showing any wear, though I did snap the 1.5mm the other day on a pinion grub...

Tools
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
RCC Addict

i have a set of integy tools with the ti-nitride coated shafts that i got from by buddy who had they for years and i have had them for a few also. i have heard good things about the locked up ones as well i will be going to them when i need new tips.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
LockedUp makes some nice replacement tips. I bought 3 or 4 and stuck them in some cheap Chinese handles I stripped out long ago but never threw away. I've had them for a while now, barely showing any wear, though I did snap the 1.5mm the other day on a pinion grub...

Tools
Just bought a couple of their handles and 2mm and 3mm scale hex bolt drivers the other day too, I really like the handles and the bits are really nice too. I may order a set of drivers. I have a set of Ofna Racing drivers now that have held up well.
KillerBlackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Dynamite red handles in 0.5mm and 1.5mm are now a lot more robust and their shaft lengths are shorter giving you better grip into whatever grub screw you're trying to remove. Lately I've rounded out two MIP grub screws with that new 1.5mm driver. Wow Dynamite stepped up its game. Now as far as the 3 piece set goes I'm not sure.

I've used Bondhus always in 1/8 and 1/5 and I've had great luck with Team Losi Racing tinitrides. Never once had to replace s tip after building up 4 1/8 and still working on all my scalers and comp rigs.

MIP Thorpe is the way to go really. Hudy drivers are more targeted towards racing vehicles not necessarily the tough hardware and amounts of loctite we might have to use sometimes.

I've never once had an Integy product last more than 6 months. From skid plates, occasional hex driver here and there, NEVER their shocks, definitely never their aluminum shock towers on anything. I had purchased a used Emaxx brushless edition loaded with Integy bling.

First gentle impact going up a curb which should be nonissue because Integy claimed the skid as "titnaniun" which is complete bull. The front skid which sort of juts forward a bit to act as a small bumper to protect the lower bulkheads since Traxxas uses plastic bulks on a 6s capable monster truck was in theory a good idea if it truly was some sort of "titanium."

As soon as I hopped up that curb about 15-20 mph the entire front part of that skid went 90* vertical with the lower half of the skid LOL. So went to the garage to see how strong it was and took two pliers to try and at least reset it so the lexan body could sit back onto the posts. I could literally bend the skid without much effort to whatever angle I wanted haha.

So yeah it was "titnaniun" colored aluminum I guess you could call it that lol. Surprisingly though the Integy bulkheads front and rear held up fine for years on that brushless Emaxx and it was decked out with heavy weight MIPS, gen3 steel slipper, Traxxas center upgraded steel shaft, FLM towers and A arms. Ran Losi XXL big bores on yellow losi springs. Always dual hard case series 5000 mah 3s 50C Gens Ace packs so there was always a to n of weight to move....let alone always ran 40 series Big Joes or 40 series Phatlines.

Last edited by alexchen86; 06-29-2015 at 01:26 PM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Dynamite red handles in 0.5mm and 1.5mm are now a lot more robust and their shaft lengths are shorter giving you better grip into whatever grub screw you're trying to remove. Lately I've rounded out two MIP grub screws with that new 1.5mm driver. Wow Dynamite stepped up its game. Now as far as the 3 piece set goes I'm not sure.

I've used Bondhus always in 1/8 and 1/5 and I've had great luck with Team Losi Racing tinitrides. Never once had to replace s tip after building up 4 1/8 and still working on all my scalers and comp rigs.

MIP Thorpe is the way to go really. Hudy drivers are more targeted towards racing vehicles not necessarily the tough hardware and amounts of loctite we might have to use sometimes.

I've never once had an Integy product last more than 6 months. From skid plates, occasional hex driver here and there, NEVER their shocks, definitely never their aluminum shock towers on anything. I had purchased a used Emaxx brushless edition loaded with Integy bling.

First gentle impact going up a curb which should be nonissue because Integy claimed the skid as "titnaniun" which is complete bull. The front skid which sort of juts forward a bit to act as a small bumper to protect the lower bulkheads since Traxxas uses plastic bulks on a 6s capable monster truck was in theory a good idea if it truly was some sort of "titanium."

As soon as I hopped up that curb about 15-20 mph the entire front part of that skid went 90* vertical with the lower half of the skid LOL. So went to the garage to see how strong it was and took two pliers to try and at least reset it so the lexan body could sit back onto the posts. I could literally bend the skid without much effort to whatever angle I wanted haha.

So yeah it was "titnaniun" colored aluminum I guess you could call it that lol. Surprisingly though the Integy bulkheads front and rear held up fine for years on that brushless Emaxx and it was decked out with heavy weight MIPS, gen3 steel slipper, Traxxas center upgraded steel shaft, FLM towers and A arms. Ran Losi XXL big bores on yellow losi springs. Always dual hard case series 5000 mah 3s 50C Gens Ace packs so there was always a to n of weight to move....let alone always ran 40 series Big Joes or 40 series Phatlines.

Integy does not make the tips for the Titanium Nitride tools they only make the handles.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

(In my opinion).....when it comes to RC tools it's Hudy or nothing for me.
Since switching to Hudy probably 10 years ago I have never rounded out a single hex on any of my cars. Used to round out heads all the time with other brands.
Hudy tools are money well spent...... they are the "Snap On" of the scale RC world (IMO)
Expensive, but top notch stuff
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I have the Dynamite red handles and they've always done just fine for me. Got the Snap On set and have only used them a little bit, but I like the swivling part on the palm end

I kind of like the rubber grips of the Snap Ons better than the knurled grips on the Dynamites

My Snappys are most likely going to be my home/ pit tools and my Dynamites will go out on the trail
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I've had my losi and dynamite red handles for years..

Never had a worry
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hudy Profitool is an excellent value, the composite handle is lite and comfortable....I'm not a fan of the heavy metal handles. The best value is item#190006 which is a 15 piece set for $140!!!
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I havent tried the mip drivers i do have a set of snap.on ones and they in fact suck....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Mip, hudy, dynamite red handle, etc are decent.

Integy ones work, but are not nearly as nice.

The mip metric set is only $32. There is really no reason to buy anything cheaper.

Just about any nut driver works. Some have thinner walls for tight wheels.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Tools
LURC does have nice stuff. I often forget to mention them despite the fact I have some of their tools myself.

For the money you can't beat Dynamite red handles (NOT the black, plastic handles), Losi, Associated, LockedUp RC, or MIP. They are all great.

Hudy makes great stuff, but at stupid prices. I just don't understand why you'd spent the extra money on something that, IMO, is no better than any of those I've listed above. I've never owned Hudy tools, but I have used them and I've never felt they were worth the money.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

hex wrenches: hudy vs MIP vs SnapOn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I now have 6 MIP Thorp hex hand tools ussprinceton2004 Tools, and Procedures 2 03-22-2013 07:21 PM
Broken Hudy hex driver (pic) AR Fabrication Tools, and Procedures 17 08-15-2012 05:48 PM
Hex size for allen wrenches. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 8 04-12-2011 04:08 PM
Itty Bitty Hex wrenches SRQmini Tools, and Procedures 23 05-31-2010 07:32 PM