Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Good hex driver set?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #41

Default Re: Good hex driver set?

MIP or LockedUp RC. LURC has nice tools.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
MIP or LockedUp RC. LURC has nice tools.

Except the small nut drivers. They don't last very long at all.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
I haven't used mine much, but they have been fine so far. And they include 2 which is nice. They lasted longer than my Gear Head/Wiha driver for sure. That thing broke during the first or second use. LURC also offers HD nut drivers for most of their sizes. They appear to be hardened.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I haven't used mine much, but they have been fine so far. And they include 2 which is nice. They lasted longer than my Gear Head/Wiha driver for sure. That thing broke during the first or second use. LURC also offers HD nut drivers for most of their sizes. They appear to be hardened.

Maybe I got unlucky as the HD driver I tried didn't fit well at all and rounded out most of my scale hardware. The standard duty ones cracked before I could finish a set of wheels. Just throwing that out there. Sorry to be off topic. Back to hex drivers.

MIP FTW. Hudy is nice as well, I have both but prefer my MIP
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Maybe I got unlucky as the HD driver I tried didn't fit well at all and rounded out most of my scale hardware. The standard duty ones cracked before I could finish a set of wheels. Just throwing that out there. Sorry to be off topic. Back to hex drivers.

MIP FTW. Hudy is nice as well, I have both but prefer my MIP
Hmm I hope mine don't crack. That's what happened with the Wiha driver I got from Gear Head.

Sometimes nut drivers don't have a good fit on scale hardware, but I think that's more to do with the less than tight tolerances of scale hardware more than the driver itself.

Stay tuned. I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes! LURC nut drivers need to go back to the drawing board.

When you can strip out a nut driver tightening LURC scale hardware into a plastic wraith cage, somethin' needs be fixed son. On the same note scale hardware could be a lil' stronger. "Yes" not only did I strip the nut driver, I also stripped some of the scale hardware I was installing in the wraith cage, so now I can no longer completely disassemble said wraith cage.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #47
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post

When you can strip out a nut driver tightening LURC scale hardware into a plastic wraith cage, somethin' needs be fixed son. On the same note scale hardware could be a lil' stronger. "Yes" not only did I strip the nut driver, I also stripped some of the scale hardware I was installing in the wraith cage, so now I can no longer completely disassemble said wraith cage.
Have you tried to email LURC and explain what happen?

They are pretty good about taking care of their customers.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #48
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post

Sorry you are having problems!

We do offer a few varieties of the 3MM sockets and for delrin or plastic applications we absolutely suggest the HD version:
3mm Socket (tip) - HD

Delrin & plastic make for a MUCH tighter fit and are constantly providing stress on the hardware & the tool.

Think of it like a nyloc nut. You can easily thread a nut onto something by hand till you reach that nylon because it offers so much resistance. Now imagine the whole thing is that tight. So something that might last just fine being put into a nice threaded aluminum hole, is really stressed out going into something like that.

We do offer various strengths of the hardware pending the application. For instance, our M2x1 scale hex bolts are low grade because they are just for show and only need to hold themselves in. On the flip side, our 4-40 Acorns are class 12.9. That wasn't always the case but as we get feedback from people we do try to improve things. If you do have issues with products, I suggest you drop us a line on the site so Chuck can take care of you...because we don't get to read every post on here ... but we wish we could!

Last edited by Locked Up; 04-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I got the HD 2mm and 3mm nut drivers they work great. Now we just need a 1-64 for the vp wheels. Current ones are so small I loose them all the time.

On another note threading into plastic is much harder than a threaded aluminum piece.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Buy the entire set of precision drivers for ~$30 rather than buying them individually.

Wiha 7 Pc Metric Precision Nut Driver Set 26592 | eBay
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Have you tried to email LURC and explain what happen?

They are pretty good about taking care of their customers.

I e-mailed locked up, months ago, maybe even more than a year ago now, at the time I don't believe they had the HD tip as an option, at any rate I did get a prompt next day reply saying that I wasn't the only one bringing the tips to their attention.

Locked Up

Sorry you are having problems!

We do offer a few varieties of the 3MM sockets and for delrin or plastic applications we absolutely suggest the HD version:
3mm Socket (tip) - HD

Delrin & plastic make for a MUCH tighter fit and are constantly providing stress on the hardware & the tool.

Think of it like a nyloc nut. You can easily thread a nut onto something by hand till you reach that nylon because it offers so much resistance. Now imagine the whole thing is that tight. So something that might last just fine being put into a nice threaded aluminum hole, is really stressed out going into something like that.

We do offer various strengths of the hardware pending the application. For instance, our M2x1 scale hex bolts are low grade because they are just for show and only need to hold themselves in. On the flip side, our 4-40 Acorns are class 12.9. That wasn't always the case but as we get feedback from people we do try to improve things. If you do have issues with products, I suggest you drop us a line on the site so Chuck can take care of you...because we don't get to read every post on here ... but we wish we could!

Alexander_0_1
Awe! I had a full rant I was going to get into, but your guys are so damn nice

I don't wanna do it now...

The link locked up posted made me wanna buy the new tools, not that I need 'em, but now I see my hobby table as a wee bit, slightly, just a tad outdated.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

For those who like very high quality tools with lots of options. https://chapmanmfg.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQ...eYAaAp418P8HAQ
I found out about them in the Army and have used them for years working on my guns. Also I work at a ship yard and This brand is very popular with people there as well.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #53
RCC Addict

I found the EDS quite reliable.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

Good hex driver set? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rate your tools!!! looking for a new hex driver set peej410 Tools, and Procedures 30 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Hex driver set suggestions Slowpony Chit Chat 10 01-15-2005 08:28 PM