Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Looking for advice on plastics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Looking for advice on plastics

I am toying around with some ideas for hand forming roll cages from plastic rod, I am in the very early planning stages here and am looking for the right materials to use. I ordered up some 1/4 ABS rod, the size is right for the project and the material appears to be rather easy to work; maybe too easy in fact. Even in a 2 inch section the material is easy to flex by hand making me think it may be TOO playable for the project.

I have built steel cages in the past from both brake line and solid rod, but I am looking to build a scale yeti with a SC body and full cage. I want to keep it lightweight and it seems like a neat project to try.

My plan is to count drill the ends and intersections, insert an aluminum or metal sleeve, then use that to reinforce the joint while holding the assembly together with 3mm count sunk hardware. I am going to use a heat gun to hand form the curves I need; I am considering order up some Delrin next to try out but wanted to see if anyone has had similar experience with plastic rod. It looks like there is only about 50F difference in working temps between ABS and Delrin but i am curious as to how well Delrin actually bends.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

Default Re: Looking for advice on plastics

I'm curious as to how you made out with this. I'm also looking to build a Delrin Rod Rock bouncer cage.
rhuggins215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've bent delrin with a blowtorch, smell is toxic so beware! But it's a very strong cage. Never finished mine and when cleanup time came I tried to smash it to no avail. Still have it somewhere
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

If kydex is available in rods, I'd give that a try. I use 1/8" Kydex sheets for my miscellaneous RC projects. It's a lot more rigid than ABS, and it's also a lot easier to work with when heated. No toxic fumes that I'm aware of... or at least none that have an aroma.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Never did anything
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for advice on plastics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bright TJ Body Plastics skerb General Scale Talk 1 02-15-2013 05:18 PM
Plastics and metals, where to get them 04sti20 Paint and Body 2 06-11-2012 05:07 PM
where do you buy your plastics 93 FORD BRONCO Tools, and Procedures 9 09-22-2010 09:27 AM
Molding delrin or other plastics rocktoy Tools, and Procedures 19 10-17-2008 12:34 AM
New Paint for Plastics deadcell Paint and Body 3 03-06-2007 09:48 AM