Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Good rotary tool? (dremel type)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Good rotary tool? (dremel type)

I thought I posted this yesterday and was surprised to find out it wasn't anyhow..

I am stuck between the following two. I have a gift card to use at sears, so that is where I get to choose from.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...80&prodCount=2

I don't have to be cordless, but if there is no loss in torque/power I would prefer.

I am mainly going to be making custom items for my rigs and basic household use...

anyone have either and can they shed some light?
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

i have the cordless dremel and what i bougt it for was the variable speed. that really helps alot. i have that same kit and it comes with alot of handy stuff. i would reccomend the dremel because i have used it with no problems or anything like that. i got it around christmas last year i think. cordless is a plus and i cant see any difference between corded and cordless power or torque. and the battery lasts forever it seems.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
20K Club

I also have a cordless dremel (different model, cheaper also), I on the other hand hate the performance of it. I wish I would have spend the money on that cordless that you show or if I had the chance I would probably go with a corded unit next time. I hate it when I forget to charge it. I would choose the corded unit.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Costco out here as one by AllTrade. It's just like a Dremel and comes with a 206 piece accessory set for $19.99. I had picked up three and gave them as Christmas gifts.
bluonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the input guys! I am a sams man myself (closest costco is like 1hr away, and have 2 sams within 10 miles

I will check there first maybe.

My father-in-law has one from years back.. single speed... it is probably 20+ years old

I really want to make my own links and servo plate for my tlt, and figure that is the tool I need to make them thanks again
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #6

I have the corded Craftsman version and it has worked excellent for my needs. Its variable speed as well. I did just purchase a 189.00 version from Lowes with all kinds of attachments. I haven't openend the Lowes version yet, i wasn't sure if my current one would work, and it seems to be doing the job just fine... I will see in the long run. I 've got a few more weeks before the 30day return period at lowes is over.

I recommend staying away from the cordless ones. I don't like cordless tools unless they are the big money version's.

~P
coreyperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I also have the craftsman one, it's not the best. But it gets the job done.
robbo989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #8

my cordless dremel always runs out of battery quick
rustler421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
'08 2.2 National Champ

I have a cordless dremel brand that I hate! I even bought a nice one when I got it. It works fine and has variable speed but it seems that every time I go to use it the battery is dead or has 5 minutes of battery left and the torque is not there. I just got a craftsman corded that I like a lot more, more torque, no dead batteries, and variable speed for less.
I looked at the two you are looking for, I believe I have the exact same ones.

Last edited by Just Zach; 01-13-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:36 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I bought a corded Dremel about 15 years ago. Its a single speed, but what I found is a 300watt lamp dimmer turns it into a variable speed Dremel. I have used it so much that I have had to replace not only brushes, but bearings as well...
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't recommend the craftsman one. after a couple days something happened to the bit holder and I couldnt take the bit out and when I got it out the thing was broke.
You should just get the variable speed Multipro Dremel. you can get lots of attachments for it like the flexshaft. Ive seen it as low as 44 dollars with 25 bits included
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
I'm a stupid C U N T!

If you have and kind if electrical skill it's pretty easy to convert a single speed (in my personal exp. the best made dermel) to a variable speed. All you need is a section of 3 wire power cord with a plug. A rotory dimmer switch and an outlet and some wood or other case to house it all. You wire the plug up to the dimmer switch, then out to the outlet. making sure to ground everything. then when you plg in youre dremel into youre new outlet you can control the speed with the dimmer dial. But if youre not comfortable doing this kind of wiring I wouldnt try it. If you dont wire it properly you can cause damage to the dremel, wall outlet or yourelf!!!!
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I recently 'inherited' an old cordless dremel from my Dad's workbench. When I got it home, I blew off the dudst & charged it up. I couldn't get it to work. It made a slight whining noise like it 'wanted' to work but wouldn't turn. It's a variable speed (range from 1-10).

I went looking for a new battery or to at least try a new battery in the unit but my local Lowes & Home Depot no longer carry the battery or anything similar.

I knew i wanted a corded unit as I'm not good at preparing, charging in advance, etc. I ended up with a cheap black & decker rotary tool for $35. It's variable speed (lo-med-hi), Model is RTX-6.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...glm.0&MID=9876

For my needs it works GREAT!! I'm sure it wouldn't handle commercial/industrial use but for the hobbyist, I'm very pleased and it didn't break the bank. It didn't come with a ton of accessories but all the stuff from the dremel kit will work with the B&D tool so I'm pretty well set up.
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have a Foredom rotary tool, the Motor hangs and you have a foot pedal to control speed. All you have in your hand is a small handpiece. I also have 4 other rotary tools, both Dremel and Sears, cordless and corded. They all have their benefits. I keep a angle attachment on one and a saw attachment on another. When I was building planes, I hated to change ends to do one task or another. My newest is a dremel cordless and I find myself reaching for it more than all the others. It has a stand and is always charged. I still use a corded model for hard grinding or long cutting chores. Here is a link to my fav one at the moment
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/to...=66204&I=69808
mspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'd recommend a corded Dremel, don't have a lot of experience with other corded drill brands but I had a cordless drill for a while, it always ran out of battery at inopportune times, and when I got my corded Dremel (variable speed) I found out what RPMs and torque really were! I was amazed...

-val
LAV25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluonyx View Post
The Costco out here as one by AllTrade. It's just like a Dremel and comes with a 206 piece accessory set for $19.99. I had picked up three and gave them as Christmas gifts.
i got myself one of these about a year or so ago, and i wouldn't recomend this one for a tool to have in the long run. mine kind of wobbles the bit a bit...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

i have had the cordless dremmel & it sucks, like most people say, the batteries are always dead or dyin. i picked up a kawasaki brand rotoray tool from sams club for $30. it was a 200pc set & i have not had any problems with it yet, i have used and abused it for about 6 months now & it is still holdin up.....
TONKA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #18
RCC Addict

i own the black and decker RTX and i love it!!! you can get it frome almost any HD lowes and i think wally world has em to
http://www.blackanddecker.com/produc...view=3#details
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #19
I'm a stupid C U N T!

if you have the funds and plan on alot of heavy use, get a Foredom tool. much stronger and more versatile
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #20
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

dremel has a 2 yr warranty and are very lenient when it comes to honoring the warranty
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote