Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Making Wheels!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Making Wheels!

People have asked, so I'm obliging.

I'll be documenting the process of filling wheel orders this weekend, so if you've ever wanted to know how I do it, here's your chance. If you've got a question or need clarification on something, just ask.

Here we go....

To start, I only use genuine Delrin. Delrin is acetal, but not all acetal is Delrin. Delrin is a brand name that has to meet certain specifications before it can be labeled as such. I know that every time I restock I'm getting the exact same thing I had before. There are also several different grades of delrin. The everyday black and white versions are general purpose and typically run $30/ft shipped. The blue I had was food grade and slightly more expensive. The grey I used for Szczerbas wheels was medical grade and way, way more expensive. Most colors apart from black/white will be medical grade and more often than not has to be purchased in quantity from a specialized supplier, not by the foot on ebay.

Step 1: Take the Delrin rod and chop it up on the bandsaw.

Step 2: Chuck each puck into the lathe to clean up each face and bring it down to the needed width.

Step 3: Make it round. Delrin extrusion is already round, but not entirely or consistently round. I shave a few thousandths off to be sure.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 02-13-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: How To Make Wheels

If you've ever purchased or seen a set of my wheels, you've probably noticed a little hash mark on the side. Since the process involves at least two machines, and I don't want my junk to wobble when you install it, I have to ensure that every time it goes into the lathe it is in the same position. Every machine will have a tiny amount of runout (offcenteredness), so it's best to keep it as contained as possible. Because my wheels pretty much begin and end on the lathe, keeping that orientation is extremely important to creating a true and balanced wheel.

I mark the wheels midway through step 3 to coincide with chuck jaw #1. As long as I line them back up every time they go into the chuck, they will be as true as I can possibly make them.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Suck it up!

Part of owning machinery like this is the unending need for tools and jigs and guides.

Consistency plays a big role in efficiency and quality, and in general makes the process much easier.

I made this so I would always have a reference for the inner and outer wheel dimensions, as well as where the beadlock groove should be. Since the wheel fixture on the cnc table is not self centering, it is vitally important that every wheel it sees is the exact same diameter.

One end for 1.9s, flip it over for 2.2s. Touch the bit to the surface you want to cut, zero the indicator, then swap the tool out for a delrin puck and get to cutting.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Step 4: Roughing out the back. Takes about 15 minutes on the router, though I could easily do it in half that time on the lathe. I don't have to be standing there while it happens on the router though...

Locked in and ready.

The aftermath.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

This is pretty cool...thanks for sharing.
amped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Step 5: Finishing out the back. Fairly simple operation...out of the cnc and onto the lathe, cut to depth and I.D.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thanks for sharing your process. Its always cool to see how everybody machines something, because it's always unique. Sweet double sided setup tool, for example!

My wheel process would be rather boring. Spend an hour putting tools into the lathe, take a break because my hammies cramp from reaching in, short prayer, press start, keep praying for no surprises.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Thanks for sharing your process. Its always cool to see how everybody machines something, because it's always unique.
I like that part too. It's always fun to see how others tackle projects.

More pictures!!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
More pictures!!
Old 02-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing, I have two sets of your wheels, the quality is spot on! Nice to see how you machined them!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
Suck it up!

Barely above freezing in the garage today, so I had to let the propane heater run for a bit before I got started.

Step 6: Carve out the front. Not much depth on this run, so it's quick and easy to do on the lathe.

Step 7: Back to the router for the design work. Designs like this would be maddening and incredibly labor intensive to do on the manual mill. It takes the router a whole 12 minutes to do the job.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Two sets fresh off of the router.

The next set is a design I haven't done before, so there was a little cad/cam work to do. I use a simple and reasonably priced program called Cut2D. You render in 2d, tell it how deep you want it to cut each section, how you want it cut (pocket, profile, drill, or engrave) and with what tool, then it writes the code for the machine. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

2d render.

3d tool path preview.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #13
Suck it up!

Step 8: Back to the lathe to add face detail.

Step 9 & 10: Drilling out hub bolt holes, boring hub center.

The router drills the holes and cuts the centers undersized. The holes are redrilled to the proper diameter by hand (cordless drill), and the centers are recut true and to size via a boring bar in the lathe.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Default Re: Making Wheels!

Step 11: Beadlock ring holes. Really boring. Takes a minute and a half to punch 12 holes, which isn't really long enough to step away and multi-task.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #15
Suck it up!

So I know some of the more seasoned machinists are wondering why I waste so much time breaking all of the steps out into individual processes when a lot of it could be done all at once, or why I don't jig up a full set at once and let the machine whip them all out in one shot.

It's true, I could. There are two reasons why I don't.

Firstly, there are some inconsistencies with the cnc router that scare me away from doing a full set at once. Even though I've made some improvements, it is still a cheap machine and prone to occasional mechanical errors. I don't mind leaving it alone when it's cutting aluminum sheet...worst case scenario is it ruins $5 worth of material. I sort out the issue and slap another one down. If it happens to ruin a full set of wheels, I lose $12 in material and a bunch of time making new pucks.

Secondly, because I allow for customized options, I'd have to generate code for every combination. Ain't gonna do it.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I wouldn't want to run a full batch on a machine that sometimes lost steps either. Looks like you have it down pretty good for fast swaps between machines though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Suck it up!

It doesn't really lose steps, it's just not always consistent. The big reason why I bore the hub holes out on the lathe is that the router doesn't always cut them in the center. Sometimes they're dead on, sometimes there is a very slight wobble. I've also had a very occasional issue with the spindle drive spazzing out, or if I have the speed too high it will overload, shut down, and drag the endmill around until it breaks or jambs up against something hard enough to stall the steppers and really throw it out of whack. That doesn't really make sense, but that's what it does. I've got a couple options in mind for a replacement spindle and drive when the time comes.

Going from machine to machine is much easier now that everything is on one side of the garage. One step between the cnc and lathe, and maybe 4 more to the mill. Previously it was the mill against one wall, the lathe in the middle, and the cnc on the opposite wall. Lots of walking around in a 2 car garage.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Bad ass - thanks for posting. Really neat to see how something I own was machined.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Step 9 & 10: Drilling out hub bolt holes, boring hub center.

The router drills the holes and cuts the centers undersized. The holes are redrilled to the proper diameter by hand (cordless drill), and the centers are recut true and to size via a boring bar in the lathe.
Are they undersized from the machine error or you don't know?

Rob told me how theres a .005 undersize in tools from C2D and I noticed it on the screen on Mach too. Tool Dia. -0.005 in the tool information box. I would have to trick C2D to thinking my bits were .010 under.

I changed all my bits to Tool 0 in C2D, now all my holes are true size.

Don't if that helps ya.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
Suck it up!

Undersized on purpose.

I wasn't aware of that issue. I think all of my tools were written in as Tool 0 anyway. Tool diameter in Mach is currently shown at +.0000.

Making Wheels! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making wheels wider in width? vwmopar Tires and Wheels 1 04-28-2012 02:21 AM
making wheels, got some questions tigman250 Tires and Wheels 2 02-01-2011 07:38 AM
Making my Predator Crawler wheels look more scale BiG_DaWgZ Tires and Wheels 4 03-22-2010 07:17 PM
Making heavier front wheels, please help meeeeee Immarcescibile Newbie General 21 07-28-2006 11:46 AM