Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Hex bits and drivers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #61

Default Re: Hex bits and drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Can anyone recommend a handle for the MIP Speed Tips that also provides a place to carry them? Something like the team associated handle, I think the speed bits are too long to fit in that specific handle, so something that will fit would be nice.
Interesting though. I don't think one exists, but this would be a great idea to put in MIP's head.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Interesting though. I don't think one exists, but this would be a great idea to put in MIP's head.
Honestly, I'd love to see a nice ratcheting handle with storage for a good set of bits. I'd be willing to pay some good money for one, and wouldn't mind helping with the design. If MIP doesn't want to get in on it, I may just design it anyway (at the least, I will probably design my own non-ratcheting handle for now).
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #63

Quote:
Honestly, I'd love to see a nice ratcheting handle with storage for a good set of bits. I'd be willing to pay some good money for one, and wouldn't mind helping with the design. If MIP doesn't want to get in on it, I may just design it anyway (at the least, I will probably design my own non-ratcheting handle for now).
Sounds like a good plan. You might even be able to sell one to me if you have interest.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sounds like a good plan. You might even be able to sell one to me if you have interest.
I drew up a couple versions in Solidworks (non-ratcheting) and I forgot how long these bits were. The handle has to be about 5.5" - 6" in order for the speed bits to be contained within. It's not a big deal, but not as pocketable as I thought it might be.

One version I modeled up holds 3 bits:

And one that holds 7:

Now, it would be nice to have either one, but these may not see the light of day without looking into manufacturing options.

I don't want to hijack this thread though, so for now, I had thought about getting this miluakee ratcheting handle:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-t...ers/48-22-2302

But, the MIP bits are long (over 4.25"), and may still not fit in that handle.

I guess I can always just use a good ratcheting handle, and store the bits in the tool box, but it would be nice to have an all in one solution.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #65

Quote:
I drew up a couple versions in Solidworks (non-ratcheting) and I forgot how long these bits were. The handle has to be about 5.5" - 6" in order for the speed bits to be contained within. It's not a big deal, but not as pocketable as I thought it might be.

One version I modeled up holds 3 bits:

And one that holds 7:

Now, it would be nice to have either one, but these may not see the light of day without looking into manufacturing options.

I don't want to hijack this thread though, so for now, I had thought about getting this miluakee ratcheting handle:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/hand-t...ers/48-22-2302

But, the MIP bits are long (over 4.25"), and may still not fit in that handle.

I guess I can always just use a good ratcheting handle, and store the bits in the tool box, but it would be nice to have an all in one solution.
I like the 3-bit version. It holds the common metric sizes used most on 1/10 RC's. Plus, it's more compact. It would be perfect for the trail. Doesn't seem like it would be cheap to produce though.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

The 3 tip version would just slip in the back pocket perfect.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I spoke with Eustace Moore at MIP (the owner; the M in MIP is Moore...) and he basically said they have their own plans for their tool products, and he left it at that.

The 3 tip version should be easy to make on a 19mm swiss machine, with a hex broach, a threading tool, and some common swiss tools. At mass quantities, they could be affordable, but prototype quantities would not be.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #68

EDS are what I use. They are great. Fit well and last.
JeremyFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This Duratrax tool set ( Duratrax® 19 Tools for Traxxas Vehicles In One Pouch! ) come with a ratcheting handle that I would assume is compatible with MIP bits.

I have one MIP tool so far, and I absolutely love it! Due to their expense I will be expanding my collection slowly, but this one 1.5mm bit has already done the same work that at least one or two (or three!) allen keys could have done, so I'm happy!
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjotrainbrain View Post
This Duratrax tool set ( Duratrax® 19 Tools for Traxxas Vehicles In One Pouch! ) come with a ratcheting handle that I would assume is compatible with MIP bits.

I have one MIP tool so far, and I absolutely love it! Due to their expense I will be expanding my collection slowly, but this one 1.5mm bit has already done the same work that at least one or two (or three!) allen keys could have done, so I'm happy!
That handle does not look compatible with the MIP tools. The MIP tools use a standard 1/4" Hex, so most hardware stores have a ratcheting handle that the MIP tips will connect into. The issue is finding one that can also store the tips in the handle.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #71
RCC Addict

I've been using a cheap Kobalt handle I has laying around, the crappy swivel on the end drives me crazy.

The Klein tool handle looks really nice, Wiha has one as well. I need to pick something up, using an $11 bit in a $1 handle sucks.

Edit: Klein handle is on the way, I'd really like to find a Witte handle, but they're hard to track down.

Last edited by maslin; 09-26-2016 at 12:06 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #72
RCC Addict

Klein handle arrived. It's very nice, stout. A bit bigger than I expected, but feels really good in the hand.

There's a small amount of play in and out with the MIP bits, might shove a chunk of rubber down there to take up the slack.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Default Hex bits and drivers?

Mac has one close, I will check depth for bits

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

Last edited by mikemcE; 09-30-2016 at 12:00 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Hex bits and drivers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metric hex drivers bits oscodawave Tools, and Procedures 7 10-30-2010 10:13 AM
Hex Bits? Fattymojo Tools, and Procedures 4 06-26-2010 06:24 AM