Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Got Myself a Cordless Driver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Got Myself a Cordless Driver

The standard M12 is what I got too. The Fuel was a bit more than I need for this. So far I love it. I put together my son's crib and a set of Fanquish wheels.

Now I'm looking at cordless impact wrenches...
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #82

i Have Bosch 12v love it. I have the drive and impact driver.. Now i need the MIP hex bits!
Jeanethics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #83
Rock Stacker

The hitachi is one of the best out there,but the most expensive. I have a ryobi tek4, best bang for your buck. The most popular driver you see at the rc track.. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-4-Vol...Fc1hfgod3Q0Ltw
Whatever you get,make sure it has the clutch

Last edited by hairumuffin; 06-29-2016 at 07:37 AM.
hairumuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
What I'm using. Craftsman nextec 12v lithium, 195 in-lbs of torque, 3/8" keyless chuck, 2 speed, 18 clutch setting or can lock it out, led light, battery takes 30 minute to charge. I wanted a chuck so I'm not limited to only hex bits.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-17586-n...p-00917586000P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejr77 View Post
I have this one to and really like it. the batteries go on sale like every other week and they have a bunch of other tools that work with the battery.
I also have one of these I bought Dec 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
And, so far, I am happy with it. Not as small as some of the ones listed above, but not much bigger than the Ryobi Tek4 driver. This is small enough for me to throw in my tool bag to take to comps or to toss around the workbench. It's got a chuck (so you can use multiple sized bits, not just the 1/4" hex ones) and adjustable clutch to prevent stripping, as well as two speeds and a LED light. For a couple bucks more than the Ryobi and the BD Gyro, I figured the extra features were well worth it.
After a year and a half, my only gripe with it has been that when you press the trigger, there's a slight delay before it turns. Not an issue really, just weird to me. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with it yet.

I also have some of the older Ryobi one+ 18V tools, and when the battery went bad on one of my packs, I replaced it with a 5s LiPo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Also just ordered a 5S lipo to replace my dead NiMh batteries for my drill... It was actually about half the price of getting the li-ion battery from Ryobi, yet this will have more power and charge a lot quicker.
That battery has been running strong for over 5 years now. I'll look into doing the same (3s obviously) with the Nextec battery when that finally gives out.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

After following this thread for a WHILE I broke down and bought my first cordless driver for rc. A DeWALT 12V lithium and some MIP drivers. WOW, I have been doing this the wrong way for soo many years. Why did it take me so long to do this? Best money ever spent as far as rc tools. I have been such a fool wasting time turning all these screws by hand for all these years. Love the throttle control and adjustable clutch on the DeWALT. Really a nice piece.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12...10S2/202514547

Last edited by pro mod steve; 07-21-2016 at 10:46 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #86

I've been using the little Bosch IXO, great little drive with attachments available for different things such as a torque head so you can set the torque, right angle head, offset head and a cutting head as well.

The real joy is that this little driver is really light, so makes it a joy to use.
I've been using it with Arrowmax power driver hex bits without issue, no over tightening.

magicaxeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #87
Pebble Pounder

are there any good alternatives to the mip allen bits? I know I've read about others, but can't remember who made/sold them now?
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Default Got Myself a Cordless Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
After following this thread for a WHILE I broke down and bought my first cordless driver for rc. A DeWALT 12V lithium and some MIP drivers. WOW, I have been doing this the wrong way for soo many years. Why did it take me so long to do this? Best money ever spent as far as rc tools. I have been such a fool wasting time turning all these screws by hand for all these years. Love the throttle control and adjustable clutch on the DeWALT. Really a nice piece.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12...10S2/202514547

That is my go to.... it is strong, I set the clutch to 2/3 and no issues.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-24-2016 at 09:53 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
are there any good alternatives to the mip allen bits? I know I've read about others, but can't remember who made/sold them now?
Dynimite has a set or two that will chuck up. Check out the tools section of horizon hobbys website.

Remember metric is the standard in Canada, you can find all types of tools on Canadian tool stores sites.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Dynimite has a set or two that will chuck up. Check out the tools section of horizon hobbys website.

Remember metric is the standard in Canada, you can find all types of tools on Canadian tool stores sites.

I'm happy with my dynamite, they are ball style, I also found a few hex bits at the Depot

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #91

I just got this Worx driver for Christmas. It's a pretty cool toy. It doesn't have a clutch nor does it have variable speeds, but for quick jobs this should be a great compliment to my Craftsman.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

damn, I didn't realize there were so many options out there for decent drivers. I must be the only guy still using the old-school 6volt AA B&D screwdriver

It'd be nice if one of the companies came out with a small driver that has a nice clutch though. the makita 7.2v one has 21 settings on it, but it's over $120 everywhere i've seen it.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

thanks, I never thought to check horizon.you have any tips on Canadian tool store sites?i could do a search, an good hundreds of hits i'm sure, but some that you deal with, and are reliable and reasonably priced? thanks again.
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
damn, I didn't realize there were so many options out there for decent drivers. I must be the only guy still using the old-school 6volt AA B&D screwdriver

It'd be nice if one of the companies came out with a small driver that has a nice clutch though. the makita 7.2v one has 21 settings on it, but it's over $120 everywhere i've seen it.
Lots of them have clutches. My $40 Craftsman driver has a clutch.

Sears.com
Old 12-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Lots of them have clutches. My $40 Craftsman driver has a clutch.

Sears.com

you're right, for some reason I was thinking someone said earlier in the thread that they didn't like the clutch settings on it, but that was one of the other ones.

how do you like the clutch settings on yours? is it soft enough that you can forget to stop once in awhile and not worry too much about stripping holes?

edit: the reason I ask, is that i remember one of my carpenters having the makita and I liked the clutch on it. that $$$$$$ though :o
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
you're right, for some reason I was thinking someone said earlier in the thread that they didn't like the clutch settings on it, but that was one of the other ones.

how do you like the clutch settings on yours? is it soft enough that you can forget to stop once in awhile and not worry too much about stripping holes?

edit: the reason I ask, is that i remember one of my carpenters having the makita and I liked the clutch on it. that $$$$$$ though :o
It hasn't stripped aluminum for me and it probably wouldn't strip some plastic, but it might strip softer plastic. I don't really purposely test it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #97
RCC Addict

After owning my Milwaukee 12 volt screwdriver for over a year, I'm still very happy with it. I have added a M12 impact wrench and vacuum to my collection. I use them all pretty often and they are very nice. The little 12 volt impact wrench is actually pretty powerful and makes quick work out of smaller jobs on my vehicles. I use my 18 volt stuff for the bigger jobs like removing lug nuts.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

I'm still doing stuff by hand. Time to look into getting one of these.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

I have the same M12 screwdriver as OP. I've got a ton of 18 volt Milwaukee tools that I use for work and after my father had purchased the 12 volt 4 (or 5?) Piece kit I realized that the 12V series weren't half bad. I picked up the screwdriver for myself during a sale at Home Depot. I think it was around $60 for the kit when I got it - plus if gave me a 12V battery to use with my Milwaukee heated sweaters - I had been using slim 18V packs with an adaptor.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Update I got that DEWALT DCF610S2R 12V MAX Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/4 in. Hex Chuck Screwdriver Kit that someone mentioned earlier. Along with MIP Metric Speed Tip Set MIP9512!

What a difference!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Got Myself a Cordless Driver - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cordless Driver - Adjustable Chuck Vs 1/4" Hex Chuck? MailManX Tools, and Procedures 33 04-13-2014 03:03 AM
mip hex driver or drill driver bits with racheting handle 507Eli Tools, and Procedures 2 12-17-2011 05:07 PM