Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Vacuum Table

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Vacuum Table

Curious anyone ever build a vac table for pulling bodies with lexan and used a vacuum pump and tank chamber of some sort?

I don't want to use a shop vac - need a faster and stronger pull then that.

Looking for insight ...... Vacuum pump pulls the air out of a small tank like say a old compressor tank. The tank has a separate line up to the table with a valve on it.

Hit the valve and the tank pulls the vacuum on the table. But some where I think there should be a blow off or waste valve. That's where I get lost a bit.

Googled the crap out of everything and found videos for building and using but nothing hinting at this.

Appreciate any help or links to good info.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Vacuum Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Curious anyone ever build a vac table for pulling bodies with lexan and used a vacuum pump and tank chamber of some sort?

I don't want to use a shop vac - need a faster and stronger pull then that.

Looking for insight ...... Vacuum pump pulls the air out of a small tank like say a old compressor tank. The tank has a separate line up to the table with a valve on it.

Hit the valve and the tank pulls the vacuum on the table. But some where I think there should be a blow off or waste valve. That's where I get lost a bit.

Googled the crap out of everything and found videos for building and using but nothing hinting at this.

Appreciate any help or links to good info.
There's a release toggle with a air release valve build in. When you toggle it in one direction, vacuum other direction shuts off vacuum and releases air from the fixture.

I might have an extra one I'll look tomorrow
ROCKCRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

I'm not sure what the vacuum pump will get you over a shop-vac. I have a small table for forming parts and I use a shop vac. I would think a tank would lose too much suction unless it was quite large.

This is an old thread and it doesn't use a vacuum pump but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Step by Step ... HOME MADE BODY
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

Im more looking for a quicker pull effect. I remember that thread, read it a couple times but end result makes my ocd twitch lol.

Similar to this one too but you can see the lexan crease .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOAk0pgsGY

This is what Im after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sY...ature=youtu.be

White valve opens the suction from the tank ....... the last valve he hits is the vacuum pump.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Old Turbo + Brushless motor
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Old Turbo + Brushless motor

Surprisingly you're not the first person to recommend the Turbo part.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

If you haven't already, try searching for vacuum forming Kydex. Different material, but same principal I believe.

I have a small setup using a vacuum pump into a 5 gallon portable air tank. One valve at the table to open and close the tank.
roadDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadDOG View Post
If you haven't already, try searching for vacuum forming Kydex. Different material, but same principal I believe.

I have a small setup using a vacuum pump into a 5 gallon portable air tank. One valve at the table to open and close the tank.

That's it ..... just a hose to the tank then another to the table? Any gauges on it? Have any pictures?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Im more looking for a quicker pull effect. I remember that thread, read it a couple times but end result makes my ocd twitch lol.

Similar to this one too but you can see the lexan crease .....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOAk0pgsGY

This is what Im after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sY...ature=youtu.be

White valve opens the suction from the tank ....... the last valve he hits is the vacuum pump.
IME, the Lexan Crease has more to do with the buck and heat than the vacuum. If you notice in your second video, the buck is lifted off of the vacuum platform which helps stretch the lexan over the corners of the buck. the frist video also explains that the crease in his case had more to do with too much heat and sag, causing too much material to fold itself over the buck.

I do agree that a vacuum tank could be easier to use, but I don't think it will fix any issues with creasing. I haven't made any bodies, but we do have a couple of vacuum tables that I use to make masks, suit pieces and various other parts for my nephews' Comic-Con outfits.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

roadDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
Custom Carbon Fiber

Hmmmm ........ pretty simple looking at yours roadDog. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
IME, the Lexan Crease has more to do with the buck and heat than the vacuum. If you notice in your second video, the buck is lifted off of the vacuum platform which helps stretch the lexan over the corners of the buck. the frist video also explains that the crease in his case had more to do with too much heat and sag, causing too much material to fold itself over the buck.

I do agree that a vacuum tank could be easier to use, but I don't think it will fix any issues with creasing. I haven't made any bodies, but we do have a couple of vacuum tables that I use to make masks, suit pieces and various other parts for my nephews' Comic-Con outfits.
That makes sense, I did read others saying you should lift the puck up for better pulls.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Not sure if this was linked to but Adam from MythBusters explains his rig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cacr1WeKOzY

I am not sure if it would help if you drilled some holes into the master to aid in suction. I know for some machined vacu form molds they will intentionally leave scallops on the mold to aid in the suction of the plastic.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Not sure if this was linked to but Adam from MythBusters explains his rig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cacr1WeKOzY

I am not sure if it would help if you drilled some holes into the master to aid in suction. I know for some machined vacu form molds they will intentionally leave scallops on the mold to aid in the suction of the plastic.
I want that table lol ......

I read about drilling the molds to get a better suction in the hard angle spots, something like .040'' drills or smaller just to add a little extra suction in certain areas.

So far the casts I have don't really have too many hard corners in them. My luck Id drill and crack the whole thing. I still got plenty of time to put the table together, sanding and filing the molds down is taking up plenty of time already.

Last edited by Robbob; 06-30-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #15
Custom Carbon Fiber

Got some plumbing and gauges left to get in place. Still have to build the heat box for the lexan but hopefully this thing sucks when it's done.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Recently found this on Thingiverse. I do not have need (yet) BUT it is a cool concept... especially being it is designed to work with stuff you can readily get/have produced. FYI NOT my design

Vacuum Forming Box by BallardBandit - Thingiverse
Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
Recently found this on Thingiverse. I do not have need (yet) BUT it is a cool concept... especially being it is designed to work with stuff you can readily get/have produced. FYI NOT my design

Vacuum Forming Box by BallardBandit - Thingiverse

Makes me think of Tupperware with a hole in the side. Def simplistic and easy enough to use for small items Im sure.

I did get the plumbing all hooked up last night while the machine ran. Dual tanks creating the vacuum and a single pump pulling it all down. I put a bag over the top and was able to build up about -30hg on the gauge and suck the bag down when I cracked the valve. Have to wait and see what it does with a sheet of lexan and sealed frame.

Last edited by Robbob; 07-05-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Makes me think of Tupperware with a hole in the side. Def simplistic and easy enough to use for small items Im sure.

I did get the plumbing all hooked up last night while the machine ran. Dual tanks creating the vacuum and a single pump pulling it all down. I put a bag over the top and was able to build up about -30hg on the gauge and suck the bag down when I cracked the valve. Have to wait and see what it does with a sheet of lexan and sealed frame.
Yeah for messing around and trying it out you would want a simple setup... but hey sometimes simplest is best
Old 11-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

How is your vacuum table going?

149 r/c worx's Team Driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Custom Carbon Fiber

Tables together .......

Havent gotten to try it yet but still working the molds so havent rushed myself yet on it.
Attached Images

Vacuum Table - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vacuum forming help grunt95 Tools, and Procedures 7 08-02-2014 09:41 PM
New Vacuum Cleaner C*H*U*D Chit Chat 10 10-09-2011 05:38 PM