Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: RR10 Backpack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Default RR10 Backpack

This is my first post so go easy on me.

I just picked up an RR10 after being out of the RC game for 30 years. I wanted to transport my toy around and found a backpack that looked promising at walmart.com

Ozark Trail 40L Crestone Backpack with Large Main Compartment - Walmart.com

Radio fits in the inside pocket.

All zipped up. it fits better if I remove the spare but it fits fine either way.

2 side pockets on the outside perfect for batteries.

I'll eventually lay some foam down on the bottom for protection.

Hope this can help someone.
momotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RR10 Backpack

And it's not available at Walmart Canada...
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Looks the price went up to $39. It was on sale for $20 when I picked it up.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That looks pretty nice for transporting a crawler around to do some crawling.
I have a short course truck back pack but it looks kinda dorky. At least that one just looks like a regular back pack. Any room for a water bottle or hydration bladder?
Boopernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopernator View Post
That looks pretty nice for transporting a crawler around to do some crawling.
I have a short course truck back pack but it looks kinda dorky. At least that one just looks like a regular back pack. Any room for a water bottle or hydration bladder?
If you look at the last picture of the side zippered pocket, right below is a pretty large elastic pocket that could fit a decent sized water bottle. There is one on each side.

One of the main reasons I bought this backpack, other than the size, was the fact that it'll hold a hydration bladder. There are slots cut out on the left and right side for the tube to poke through. It can easily fit a 3 liter bladder (ie Camelbak). It would seem to fit perfectly between the wheels. I haven't had a chance to put one in yet for fit. I'll more than likely put a 2 liter bladder in there just for weight savings. I have a few carryovers from my mountain biking days.

If anyone wants more detailed pics of the backpack just let me know. I'll try to accommodate all requests.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Nice looking pack. Wish I saw this post about a week ago. I just picked up an Under Armor Storm ! Duffle with shoulder strap. I have a 2.2 Comp Crawler. Looks like it would fit nicely in the backpack.
Antfarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

Pretty nice looking pack. It's huge. How's the quality? It looks kind of thin.

Woot (Amazon's lesser known sibling) often has Yukon Outfitters backpacks on sale. I recommend those for inexpensive quality packs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antfarm34 View Post
Nice looking pack. Wish I saw this post about a week ago. I just picked up an Under Armor Storm ! Duffle with shoulder strap. I have a 2.2 Comp Crawler. Looks like it would fit nicely in the backpack.
I almost bought a duffle. But, I much prefer wearing a backpack if I have to carry something for a long length of time. I figured this would be good for trailing.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Pretty nice looking pack. It's huge. How's the quality? It looks kind of thin.

Woot (Amazon's lesser known sibling) often has Yukon Outfitters backpacks on sale. I recommend those for inexpensive quality packs.
I will admit it's not as high quality as a hardcore backpacking backpack. It's not bad by any means. Most of the internal panels are double lined except where the external water bottle pockets are. But, by default it's double lined by the outer pocket. The benefit of the thinner material is less weight. That's something I learned the hard way while traveling with heavy luggage.

I just googled the Yukon Outfitter backpacks. Those look nice! Are they mil spec? Can you recommend a particular model that could possibly fit the RR10? I may consider something like that if this bag ever fails.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotaro View Post
I will admit it's not as high quality as a hardcore backpacking backpack. It's not bad by any means. Most of the internal panels are double lined except where the external water bottle pockets are. But, by default it's double lined by the outer pocket. The benefit of the thinner material is less weight. That's something I learned the hard way while traveling with heavy luggage.

I just googled the Yukon Outfitter backpacks. Those look nice! Are they mil spec? Can you recommend a particular model that could possibly fit the RR10? I may consider something like that if this bag ever fails.

Thanks.
That's what it looked like - light and thin. But sometimes that thin material is surprisingly strong and durable. I hope it holds up long term.

I am not sure if Yukon Outfitters is MIL-SPEC. I don't think it is. I have read Yukon Outfitters makes bags similar to Maxpedition products. I've never heard of Maxpedition, but it is my understand that they are a much more expensive brand. They might be MIL-SPEC. I'm not sure. But they are 2 to 3 times more expensive than Yukon from what I remember.

I have the Overwatch Sling Pack. I doubt a Bomber would fit in it. It has one strap which is a pro and a con. The pro is that you can rotate the bag to your chest, while still slung over your arm, and you can open it which makes for super easy access to batteries, tools, and parts. The con is that all of the weight is on one shoulder and that gets old after a day of trailing.

EDIT: Woot currently has the Yukon Outfitters bags on sale: http://sport.woot.com/plus/yukon-out...ef=sp_cnt_wp_4

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 09-09-2016 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added Link
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I just scored the Ozark trail 40 liter backpack OK online for $27.00 U.S. and I must say this seems like a great bag to transport the crawler around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have a nice little Patagonia that I just strap the Wraith to using the cinch straps. I should see if it'll fit in my Eberlestock high speed pack.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
I just scored the Ozark trail 40 liter backpack OK online for $27.00 U.S. and I must say this seems like a great bag to transport the crawler around.

That's great! Can you post up some pics?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Sure can, I will post some pictures after work.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So here are some quick pictures of the backpack.

I want to add to this reviee as time permits, but here are a few highlights. The SCX10v2 with body will fit inside and the xippers will close, but it's tight. Might have to carry your radio. It has lots of pockets, and a hydration bladder sleeve. I will test fit that next. My 2.2 motor on axle crawler fits inside with radio perfectly. The straps seem good and comfortable. More to come.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
So here are some quick pictures of the backpack.

I want to add to this reviee as time permits, but here are a few highlights. The SCX10v2 with body will fit inside and the xippers will close, but it's tight. Might have to carry your radio. It has lots of pockets, and a hydration bladder sleeve. I will test fit that next. My 2.2 motor on axle crawler fits inside with radio perfectly. The straps seem good and comfortable. More to come.

Wow, I would have never thought an SCX10 would fit in there. As it is, my RR10 was a tight fit. But, that's good to know if I ever decide to expand my collection. lol

Thanks for the pics!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Well the SCX 10 was really stuffed in there. Plus it was the stock body, a pickup body might fit better. Next I want to fill the hydration bladder and see if I can still get the SCX10 in there.

Also wanted to point out that this pack has two frame supports, that are removable. This makes wearing the pack when loaded more comfortable.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #18

I have been looking at getting a backpack that I can strap the truck on the outside of. I was looking at skateboard back packs? Anybody know of anything that would work?
originalsledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The one I used to use was by ""fuct" but they quit making backpacks. Honestly, any one of 'em with the straps to hold the skateboard on the back should work. Get a slightly larger than standard one, IMHO.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsledge View Post
I have been looking at getting a backpack that I can strap the truck on the outside of. I was looking at skateboard back packs? Anybody know of anything that would work?

You might think about a hydration pack like the Camelback Mule. You don't have to use the hydration bladder, if you want to carry stuff instead. But I think it would work good because of the packs narrow shape.

There are probably several ways to attach the truck to the pack. I tried it on quick and it's comfortable. And depending on the hike, you could secure the truck tight for the long haul. Or just clip it on with for a short walk.

RR10 Backpack - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr10 backpack bikeboy Axial XR10 11 10-25-2011 08:49 PM
Improvised R/C Backpack Shadow Fox General Crawlers 12 09-26-2010 07:16 AM