Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Best welder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Default Best welder?

Obviously for RC chassises and stuff of that nature you don't need a $4k welder to get going but what would be best? I'm fairly new to welding and I would prefer mig or stick. Any ideas?
Hypergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best welder?

Used. Depends on what material your planning on doing also.
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have a little Miller 140 suitcase welder that I use for buzzing together my creations. It can use gas or flux-core, has fine-adjust knobs, an auto set feature, and can even accept a spool gun for aluminum. Holds both big and small rolls. Don't let the size and the fact that it's 110 fool you, I've buzzed 3/16 plate steel with mine and it was beautiful. I think they may go for around $800 brand new with a cart, but you can find them on Craigslist for much cheaper. For the money you can't beat those little welders.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would start off with an oxygen acetylene setup. Its the most versatile. You can also use it for welding, brazing, cutting and freeing up rusted/stuck bolts.

Last edited by 1tonscout; 10-11-2016 at 06:50 PM.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i have an eastwood mig 135 that is just amazing for the money...under 500 for welder and cart..can use gas or flux core wire....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

I really like my Tweco 211i, outstanding versatility. Esab/Victor/Tweco have other modals to fit your price range. The 211i can run 110v or 220v. I have used it a lot on 110v as a stick and a flux cored wire, and have been impressed with it's arc. They can be configured to be a stick, mig or tig.
OILER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonscout View Post
I would start off with an oxygen acetylene setup. Its the most versatile. You can also use it for welding, brazing, cutting and freeing up rusted/stuck bolts.
Yup ^^^

Oxy acetylene is extremely versatile, very controllable, as precise as can be and is a good trainer for learning how to stack dimes in TIG.
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

If this is just for RC, I'd give silver soldering a try first.

If you're using RC as an excuse to sneak a new welder into the house, ignore me.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
If this is just for RC, I'd give silver soldering a try first.

If you're using RC as an excuse to sneak a new welder into the house, ignore me.

rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

A novice welder's (lack of) skill makes a much larger impact on welder performance. Outside of that, you'll have issues with a cheaper welder with 1/16" and thinner. After some practice I was able to use a 120v Lincoln (3200 pak?) to weld a gas grill's front handle (thin stainless) with the fluxcore wire they come with. I've used the cheap Harbor Freight MIG and it can be made to work with name-brand wire - gas shielding helps a lot too.

A cheap oxy torch will let you do a wide range of metals, particularly non-steel (alum, SS, brass). It's just a bit higher learning curve than silver soldering. Silver soldering only sucks because good silver solder is expensive, but on many materials it can be stronger than the base material. Oxy brazing really only gets it on vibration resistance, and most RC projects won't vibrate enough to be a prob.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Okay I will toss out my .02. Some very good welders have been put up here before me...The Tweeko 211i I have heard nothing but good things about it. The Lincoln 210mp is an amazing buy for a home shop. I have used this welder on a demo and it was amazing! At just over $1k it will weld almost anything a home hobbyist would need to do. The Miller Multimatic 200 is another great option, but the blue welder will run you double the price of the Tweeko.
As for Oxy-Acetylene that is a great way to go if you want to solder or braze. Welding takes a bit more finesse to master, much like TIG. If you can master Oxy-Acetylene welding you will have little issue getting good with TIG. I have heard very good things about the Smith jewelry torch set for fine work on RC chassis.
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I've been using an Eastwood tig 200 ac/dc for about 18 months now. I'd of preferred a Miller, but like many of us funds aren't always available for what we want.
Eastwood has a 3 year no questions asked warranty basicly and yes I did have to use it. The board went bad and would shut down the machine as soon as I stepped on the pedal. What caused it idk. Cheap tool or moist basement. Could of been either. Either way I drove the box in to my local Eastwood, they tested it and handed me a brand new one to walk out the door within 30 mins.
At 700 bucks give or take when adding gas, rods, etc I feel that it was well worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
TragOul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Name brand 110v are good.You said you wanted mig,just so you know flux core wire needs to be run on DC polarity.
gmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragOul View Post
I've been using an Eastwood tig 200 ac/dc for about 18 months now.
Have you used this on tube? Specifically 3/16" - 1/4" sizes?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Have you used this on tube? Specifically 3/16" - 1/4" sizes?
Yes I have. I mostly use solid rod, but when I use tube I keep the amps lower and use silicon bronze rods. It's almost like tig brazing. I have used regular 70 series rods for tube and thin Guage sheet but the bronze flows much better.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

By the time I read all the way through the post I had forgotten you said you wanted mig or stick. This is only a tig machine. Welding tips and tricks guy did a couple reviews on an Everlast model similar to the Eastwood that offered a stick option in the same general price range. I went with the one I did cause Eastwood shop was a 30 min drive and with going with a non name brand machine I preferred a local distribution incase other warranty issues.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Best Stick welder ever made. It's gotta be 200 years old, but still burns rod like it's new.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I have a lincoln 140 from lowes, around 700$. I highly recommend it to anyone. Oxy-acetylene would be good also but takes some pratice, unless you are brazing parts together. If possible I would recommend a combo 110/220 v welder. Best of both worlds.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I have a miller 175amp machine running .023" wire and shielding gas which I use to tack parts together. I finish the joints by silver soldering with a jewellers map/oxygen setup. Silver soldering makes for a way cleaner joint in the end that is very strong
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Had a Lincoln for quite a few years,fried the board in it so I gave the klutch 140si mig a try and love it. I actually think it does better than my Lincoln did. $379.99 and free shipping at northern tool, hard to beat that deal.
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, metal, welding

Best welder? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New T.I.G. welder southcrawler Scale Accessories 7 09-12-2012 08:47 AM
welder ? parker88 Tools, and Procedures 32 10-03-2008 02:40 PM
Welder help Double J Tools, and Procedures 19 12-17-2006 12:11 AM
welder wheeler General Crawlers 8 05-23-2004 10:06 PM