Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Shapeways HP Multi Jet Fusion Printer is coming!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Shapeways HP Multi Jet Fusion Printer is coming!

The steering knuckles I have designed and printed in my CC-01 thread are all SLS printed from Shapeways. No lines to show layers, just a fine grit texture. The first set I designed the part exactly to the tolerance of the bearings, and they were tight. I revised the part with an extra 0.5mm clearance and the bearings fit perfect. Shapeways advertises an accuracy of 0.15mm, and I think if you go with the plain white nylon, you get pretty close to that.

JCAD/Jens/Monkeyracer used to design a bunch of 3D parts with FDM and I was never able to break any of his stuff, and they were link mounts, 4-link trusses, and panhard rod mounts.

Outside of RC, I've got 2 designs for saw guides that will turn smaller circular saws (Dremel Saw Max, Rockwell Versa Cut, Makita Mini Circular) into affordable track saws that will work with inexpensive straight edges from the big Orange store or the big Blue store. All guides are being tested by several contractors I've work with in the past and none have broken.

It's a brave new world and the draw with the new HP printer for me is the supposed tensile strength increase.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #22
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

My first HP mjf parts will arrive on Wednesday. I ordered a Twin Hammers Bell Crank kit and some scale detail parts - my crawler Shovel and D90 fuel filler.
Can't wait to see how they turn out!
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
The steering knuckles I have designed and printed in my CC-01 thread are all SLS printed from Shapeways. No lines to show layers, just a fine grit texture. The first set I designed the part exactly to the tolerance of the bearings, and they were tight. I revised the part with an extra 0.5mm clearance and the bearings fit perfect. Shapeways advertises an accuracy of 0.15mm, and I think if you go with the plain white nylon, you get pretty close to that.

JCAD/Jens/Monkeyracer used to design a bunch of 3D parts with FDM and I was never able to break any of his stuff, and they were link mounts, 4-link trusses, and panhard rod mounts.

Outside of RC, I've got 2 designs for saw guides that will turn smaller circular saws (Dremel Saw Max, Rockwell Versa Cut, Makita Mini Circular) into affordable track saws that will work with inexpensive straight edges from the big Orange store or the big Blue store. All guides are being tested by several contractors I've work with in the past and none have broken.

It's a brave new world and the draw with the new HP printer for me is the supposed tensile strength increase.
PM sent about the track saws, I'm really interested in if/when you will have them available.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #24

Hey guys,

so it got a bit quiet in this thread, but I'm very interested to hear who received some HP Strong & Flexible parts recently. Know a few of you were expecting some items, so let me know!!

Cheers,
Ruud
RudyLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Most of my parts are printed in a material most FDM printer guys don't even know about. It's not the normal ABS or PLA that most FDM printers use. It has a lot more strength than the other plastics, but takes a bit more practice to get it right, and a lot of cleanup to the part once it is printed. If it broke, it was because of a defect in the printer (missed a layer, too hot, too cold, clogged nozzle, etc), not the material or design.

I ordered some parts from the HP MJF, and the first batch of parts came out pretty good. I'll post some pics a little later tonight or tomorrow. They look better than the other Strong & Flexible parts, especially since they are solid black all the way through. They seem stronger, although I haven't stress tested them.

I didn't like the grey though. It is really inconsistent, and didn't seem as nice as the black parts.

I am having a problem with Shapeways right now on the second batch though. The parts are printing with large air bubbles/holes, and Shapeways is trying to get me to accept them as is with a 10% credit on the order toward the next one. The holes are unacceptable for what the part is (will make it weak, break easy), so I'm sticking to having them re-make the parts.

They are still learning the machine, and trying to figure out how to get around some of the other problems, like part-sink, etc.

If the pricing stays where it is or less, I might move a lot of my parts to the HP MJF S&F.

For those that have paid attention, I have been quiet around here for a little bit. In September last year, I sold my house (for a nice profit) and am having a new one built. I'm staying with the in-laws until it is done, so I don't have the space that I used to for me to keep up with orders, etc. When the new house is done, I'll have a lot more space than before, and I intend to get a bunch of new products developed and launched. Stay Tuned!
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:31 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

HP? Pass.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthrax View Post
HP? Pass.
HP bought the 3D printing division of Samsung in 2016 for $1+ billion along with several other companies that provide services that support 3D printing to make a significant advancement in the industry. This isn't like they pulled some engineer off designing ink jets to make a 3D printer.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Default Shapeways HP Multi Jet Fusion Printer is coming!

It's not about HP's tech, it's their business model to rape you on toner/ink.
I don't see them changing spots anytime soon, Samsung or not.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Why does their business matter model in this situation?

HP makes a machine they sell to Shapeways.
Shapeways uses that machine to make a part that someone designs. Shapeways sells that part to that company.
The customer buys the part from the designer company (directly or through Shapeways).

It literally doesn't affect the customer or the design company. Shapeways builds the cost of materials into their pricing.

Does this mean you won't buy products that may have been made using an HP printer in some way? Because I'm willing to bet a lot of the products you might buy have something that was printer with HP printers. (User manuals, product packaging, etc.)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

If I can avoid supporting HP , I will quickly purchase others on that basis.
Please don't stand up for them, unless you get a paycheck from them. (And tell us also)

I remember back in the day, Sony/Superscope games Roberts and Teac both grew quickly as consumers were smart.
When I bought my new photo printer, it wasn't another HP...... why my ink cartridge was gone from sales ...... topend photojet useless, no thank you HP

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
If I can avoid supporting HP , I will quickly purchase others on that basis.
Please don't stand up for them, unless you get a paycheck from them. (And tell us also)
How will you know what products were made with this printer if the company you buy them from doesn't tell you? If this were just called MultiJet Fusion, would you have even known that it was an HP?

I'm not standing up for HP. I don't own an HP product at all. I'm questioning your selective buying decisions based on a segment of the company's "business practices".

I'm sure you have no problem buying products made by child workers, but boycott HP because they have a proprietary ink system. Sound reasoning.
Just get a little perspective here.

Quote:
I remember back in the day, Sony/Superscope games Roberts and Teac both grew quickly as consumers were smart.
When I bought my new photo printer, it wasn't another HP...... why my ink cartridge was gone from sales ...... topend photojet useless, no thank you HP
??? What?
I literally can not understand what you are saying here. ???
Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Marketing background

I have an odd trait, I read and remember. I was held hostage because I bought HP and not EPSON, HP killed photo printing, not EPSON.
And WTF does child labor come from? Not I , so let's not change things up.

( hint look up retail reel to reel recorders)
Will I support HP, no.
Please go research the "proprietary ink" legalized theft is a better word.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 07-13-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

We're getting way off topic here.

I can understand the stance to not buy an HP printer. But to say you won't buy a product from a company that buys a service from a company that uses one to make the product doesn't make sense to me. The company using the HP to make the thing is who has to deal with them, not you. They also have the choice (in most cases) to use a different manufacturer for that method. The company could even offer a product that may or may not use an HP printer, and you would never know.
So, to say you won't support a company that buys something from another company that uses an HP printer to make the thing, is flat out asinine.
I guarantee you have bought a product this week that used an HP product in some form or another to make or package it. You don't know the supply chain for every single product you buy, so it is out of your hands in that respect.
Shapeways didn't need to specify that the machine was HP. If that was the case, would you have still boycotted it? (How could you if you didn't know it was?)

The whole child labor thing brings up your skewed ethics, in your case, it is unethical to buy a product made with an HP machine, but you probably buy other products that are made with human-rights-violating manufacturing methods (whether you know it or not).

In your example, you chose to buy an HP photo printer at the time (even though there were other choices available to you.) It turned out the proprietary ink system was more expensive than competitors, and didn't make sense that the ink would "expire", etc. So, you got burned by a bad decision. What if you had bought the other brand in the first place? Would you still have the same opinion of HP?
By the way, this proprietary material thing is very common in 3D printing, especially SLA printing. It is so proprietary that the companies making them don't tell you what chemical ingredients are in them (important to an engineer). So, are you boycotting those companies too?
Old 07-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Grow up , I can't stand HP, no mater what you think up. They screwed more photographers than I can count.

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Grow up
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I dont care about HP or business model crap i dont see how shapeways is so dang expensive. I have never bought anything from there cause imo i cant justify why everything is so high. I get it they can make anything you want but dang i hope the market becomes more affordable.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 AM   #37
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I agree that it would be great if the cost was lower. Hopefully the MJF technology will help here. To be fair, the cost has been steadily falling.
Plus, it's mainly when you compare prices to mass produced injection moulded parts that Shapeways seems so expensive. When you buy good Shapeways parts, what you are getting is nich market, almost bespoke parts, that in the very small numbers that can be sold, would never be cost effective as injection mouldings - or would cost just as much anyway to cover the tooling costs.

Back on subject, check out the quality of my HP MJF Wraith inner fenders. I've been making SLS parts for over ten years, and this new process moves the game on:

Last edited by Dbx; 07-28-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I had designed a set of 1.55 beadlocks on tinker cad. had the files transferred to shapeways. im just going to han dmy money over to rc4wd for some nice machined wheels instead. im not knockin shapeways.. the plastic is pretty tuff if your design has structure in mind. ive had a lot of things printed from shapeways. they are the only 3d printing company I will purchase services from.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I had designed a set of 1.55 beadlocks on tinker cad. had the files transferred to shapeways. im just going to han dmy money over to rc4wd for some nice machined wheels instead. im not knockin shapeways.. the plastic is pretty tuff if your design has structure in mind. ive had a lot of things printed from shapeways. they are the only 3d printing company I will purchase services from.
There are some parts that you can manipulate to keep costs down. They base pricing on a few factors, like # of part in the build, volume of material, volume of build area, etc.

For a set of 4 wheels, you can play around with orientation of the wheels and put all 4 in the same build with sprues connecting each wheel.
Wheels are still relatively expensive through Shapeways though.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

yes wheels are. I tried to bring the cost down by removing some material but the price was still up there. removing the hex "mount" and switching to slw style mount didn't help much. going to ten hole instead of six shooter helped a bit but looked a little funky. I switched the face thickness to 2mm from 3mm but only a small price drop.

one of these days I will be able to make a rim cheaply printable from shapeways and look good at the same time.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shapeways HP Multi Jet Fusion Printer is coming! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shapeways narrowed scx axle~ LoneRanger General Scale Talk 26 12-19-2015 02:28 PM
My Shapeways Shop Fungi Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 08-19-2015 10:37 AM