RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   CVD and driveshaft lubricants (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/583822-cvd-driveshaft-lubricants.html)

DrewHammer 04-26-2017 06:54 PM

CVD and driveshaft lubricants

Hey everyone, wanting some input on this.

I'm searching for a good lubricant replacement for the typical grease used in a CVD or a driveshaft.

A little background - My main concern comes from "wet" lubricants such as a typical oil or grease attracting dust and dirt that causes wear to actually increase as it forms an abrasive paste inside these joints. From my experience they almost seem to last longer with no lubricant than with oil or grease. I just can't stand to hear the squeaks.

I use dry moly heavily in the industry I work in for this specific reason. The lubricant itself flashes off the solvents used to "transport" the lubricant into the part quickly preventing it from collecting these abrasive particles.

Does anyone else use a dry lube such as graphite or moly on their CVD's and similar style joints (MIP's). Any results you care to share?

valheru 04-26-2017 08:15 PM

Re: CVD and driveshaft lubricants

I've been using mountain bike chain dry lube for a while now, it's is a wax based lubricants that is suspended in a solvent that evaporates upon application, leaving only the wax behind.

lzysmrf 04-27-2017 05:36 AM

I carry a small can of graphite with me when I crawl. Quick spray before i take off, and I'm usually good for the entire crawl.

Prime 04-27-2017 06:46 AM

I use Moo Slick from Cow RC on my CVDs and drive shafts. Leaves a nice "dry" lubricant behind.

magic_yeti 04-27-2017 07:12 AM

Out of the same concern that normal oil or grease attract dirt, i use teflon spray that i found in a diy store:mrgreen:

youngblood 04-27-2017 09:17 AM

gun oil. I brake clean them out every once in awhile and reapply the gun oil.

Natedog 04-27-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valheru (Post 5701191)
I've been using mountain bike chain dry lube for a while now, it's is a wax based lubricants that is suspended in a solvent that evaporates upon application, leaving only the wax behind.

White Lightning - Clean Ride

or

White Lightning - Wet Ride

"thumbsup"

Alexander_0_1 04-28-2017 08:13 AM

I use this:

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Natedog 04-28-2017 09:58 AM

Sounds like same stuff, but in aerosol. I like the squeeze bottle, because it's easy to get just the right amount and no overspray although I can envision some times when spray is better. :)

Teng 06-01-2017 05:35 AM

Love the Rock "N" Roll Extreme Lube "thumbsup"

kishman 06-04-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngblood (Post 5701318)
gun oil. I brake clean them out every once in awhile and reapply the gun oil.

Same here, G-96 gun oil. No trouble so far but i'm pretty picky about pulling things apart and cleaning them after every session...

Vagos2 06-06-2017 05:27 AM

I generally use bicycle chain oils (WeldTite TF2 being my personal favorite), they tend to stay "clean" and don't make that gritty mess that most greases do plus it is waterproof enough for my needs..

crawlhog 06-06-2017 07:13 AM

try a product called TRI FLO, problem solved

JatoTheRipper 06-06-2017 08:08 AM

I started using Ballistol on my CVDs. It's a CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant and Protector) that I use on my guns. If it's good enough for guns it's good enough for RC CVDs IMO.

slam49 07-12-2017 01:19 PM

I will put a drop or 2 of sewing machine oil on my driveshaft when they get to squeaking. It's thin and slings off so it doesn't seem to attract and cake up dirt.

I generally blow my rig off with compressed air after ever hard run tho. Just to keep the build up down, from my leaky shocks!

davidg86 07-16-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlhog (Post 5715720)
try a product called TRI FLO, problem solved

+1 o the Tri Flow

Bike lubes and dry wax seem to work well

MAGNUMB 10-19-2020 01:48 PM

We are entering the golden age of lubes with Graphene, WS2 and Hbn additives. The physical properties of this stuff is amazing

UFO Drip- Completely dry lube. Could be the best option for CVDs, but also the most expensive. Think they use Ws2 additive.
Smoove- Waxed based and cheap
Silica Super Secret chain lube- Waxed based with Nano-scale Tungsten Di-Sulfide(Ws2)
absoluteBLACK Graphene- Looks very promising and also very expensive.
Boeshield T9- This one is really interesting. Made for Boeing specifically and bonds to metal and doesn’t attract much dirt while also providing rust protection. Thinking this with some added Ws2 or HBn @ 4wt% by weight would make a killer driveline lube

My wife- Self lubricating, but sometimes it takes all afternoon and the juice isn't always worth the squeeze:)

Kingmeow 10-19-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGNUMB (Post 6049239)
My wife- Self lubricating, but sometimes it takes all afternoon and the juice isn't always worth the squeeze:)

Now THAT Is a classic statement! :lmao: I'll have to remember it!

Egsise 10-19-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewHammer (Post 5701161)
Does anyone else use a dry lube such as graphite or moly on their CVD's and similar style joints (MIP's). Any results you care to share?

Ptfe(teflon) dry lube spray.
I have no idea if it works or not because I have no comparison, no squeaking thought so propably it works.