Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Are torx or allen heads any better than phillips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83 chevy
i had rc specific tools before, i just never liked them. i'd still perfer snap on becasue if i break it they come to the shop and i get a new one , but thats just me. to each is own i guess
Yeah I love snap-on.. I dont mind at all paying extra money for the at-your-door service and tool replacement..every time my creeper broke they fix it for free, gave me a new 3/8 air ratchet when one failed after only 2 months.. although I am a little dissapointed they stopped replacing drill bits.

as far as rc hardware I use allen head cap screws. they are strong, and if using proper size wrench will almost never strip out. also when using phillips most people fail to use #1 driver with #1 size head #2 with #2, etc... with proper tools and hardware and using the correct size for the application you shouldn't be stripping anything..
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Dont get me wrong guys, Snap on is the best tool company out there! piss on Craftsman or anything else! lol

BUT I wore a set of Snap on T-Handle allen wrenches out in 1 biuldup, lol, and yes they replaced them

Later,
Jake
EagleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohocla
...as far as rc hardware I use allen head cap screws. they are strong, and if using proper size wrench will almost never strip out. also when using phillips most people fail to use #1 driver with #1 size head #2 with #2, etc... with proper tools and hardware and using the correct size for the application you shouldn't be stripping anything..
I agree on the allen head screws, and I like RD Logics allen drivers, almost as good as Hudy, easier to get and a little bit cheaper.

Very good point about the Philips head screws...seen so many people that don't even know...LOL!

EDIT: They probably stopped the drillbits replacement due to too many people who don't know about drill speed, lube, and material being drilled. They can't stay in business if they give away too much.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

OK, I'm sold on switching to hex heads for my current rig and using them on my upcoming build.

As for switching over, can someone explain the thread sizes to me? For instance, how do I know what size screws to buy. I'm going to look around for a local supplier and if I find one, I'll just bring in my existing hardware, but if I have to order online, I'm a bit clueless.

Any help??
patrick_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleOne
Dont get me wrong guys, Snap on is the best tool company out there! piss on Craftsman or anything else! lol
After 36 yrs on this earth, I've probably purchased hundreds of sets of chinese/taiwanese made screwdrivers, socket sets, allen wrenches, etc. And I thought I was reall making a jump when I bought craftsman last year .

They may not be snap-on quality, but they are better than anything I've ever used (and they replace for free as well). Note, the best tools I've had were ones I stole from my Dad's workbench whenever we visited over the years ("who me?? No Dad, I haven't seen your *good* torque wrench in a long time.")
Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #26

I like allen head screws,look cool, better grip and you can apply more torque.
As for phillips head,most screws heads strip out because the tip of the screwdriver comes to a point,
grind off the point just slightly and it'll grip/seat much better.
Note the tip on a Snap-On phillips....no sharp point.
RockShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

yeah all my snap-on phillips is nice and flat.. they seat really nice in there. every T-handle set I had through snapon was always wear out quick, but good things about those is you just hack the stripped part off and you have brand new wrench. I have T-handle that are like a nub... a good tip is to get the rounded heads t-handles and they last alot longer imo, plus you can access certain hardware without removing other parts which is very often.

about thread sizes, I use what I beleive to be 2mmx14mm but im not sure. they might be 1mmx12. get anywhere from 8mm length to 20mm length. I cant give you sae as I usually only use metric nuts and bolts.

Last edited by lohocla; 02-01-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockShocker
...As for phillips head,most screws heads strip out because the tip of the screwdriver comes to a point,
grind off the point just slightly and it'll grip/seat much better.
Note the tip on a Snap-On phillips....no sharp point.
The sharp pointed drivers that look like Phillips are actually called Reed and Prince...there is a difference...unless it's just a cheap azz Phillips screwdriver...lol.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

using the snap on screwdrivers, i have yet to strip out any phillips screw
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

I got a set of hex screws from hexscrewz and haven't looked back. I would put those on the top of the list of things to get.
chole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I use phillips because that is what i have. I like allen heads better because they are easier for me to not strip. They are also easier to me to thread new plastic parts. The only thing i don't like about my allen heads is that i don't have any good tools. Just those little L shaped ones.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog
The sharp pointed drivers that look like Phillips are actually called Reed and Prince...there is a difference...unless it's just a cheap azz Phillips screwdriver...lol.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
I never really knew there was 2 different, I usually associated with poor quality tool... I do have some screws that go really deep. a pointed tip goes all way down and holds good.. But for the most part every screw I normally use requires it be flat-tipped. I am going to put an order in for a set of those when snappy comes on monday, jic I need 'em ever.. thanks dude
Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I used to be a branch manager for Fastenal and they can get virtually any kind of screw you need. They have pretty good prices as well adn they are like Wal-Mart they are every where. Just go to there website and do a store search for a store near you and I am sure you will find one near you. This is where I get all of my SS Hex Screws from. PM me if you need part numbers as I have them all stored on my computer so I can just email my orders to my local Fastenal. Hope this all helps.
hlpressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #34
RCC Addict

another source for top quality metric hardware is-

http:www.metricspecialties.com

best quality and great prices. all they sell is metric.

a book that is well worth reading is 'nuts, bolts, fasteners and plumbing handbook' by carroll smith. carroll smith was(he died not too long ago)a race car fabricator. everything you could possibly want to know about nuts and bolts is in this book. and he pulls no punches, especially concerning stainless hardware, which is garbage.

as far as socket head cap vs. phillips, i'll take socket head every time. just about all of the hardware on my 1980 harley has been switched to socket head cap screws. easier to work on by far.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrocks90046
another source for top quality metric hardware is-

http:www.metricspecialties.com

best quality and great prices. all they sell is metric.

a book that is well worth reading is 'nuts, bolts, fasteners and plumbing handbook' by carroll smith. carroll smith was(he died not too long ago)a race car fabricator. everything you could possibly want to know about nuts and bolts is in this book. and he pulls no punches, especially concerning stainless hardware, which is garbage.

as far as socket head cap vs. phillips, i'll take socket head every time. just about all of the hardware on my 1980 harley has been switched to socket head cap screws. easier to work on by far.
Yeah thats a great book... I have a copy somewheres
Old 02-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster
ive only recently started buying my own screws, nuts and bolts and get em at microfastners, good stuff and no problems.
the biggest problem with phillips is you have to have the right size tip for the screw, too big or small will strip the head.
the majority of screws you could swap for allen's except the shoulder screws, ie the knuckle screws but you might be able to use a flanged bushing and spacer with a screw.
Go here http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search screw you will find every screw you can think of and then some.
badltl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #37

For ALL hex screws try http://www.fastener-express.com/

And for Hex wrenches go with the Dynamite brand from Horizon Hobby. Cheaper then the rest and VERY strong.

If you want to stay with the Phillips screws, try a WERA brand screwdriver. They offer some with knurled tips that bite the screw before stripping.

Last edited by M.O.C.; 02-02-2007 at 12:53 PM.
M.O.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.C.
For ALL hex screws try http://www.fastener-express.com/

WOW!! Awesome resource. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #39

The really big problem with philips over hex head is that to remove a phillips you will have to apply downward pressure just to keep the screwdriver in the screw. With hex head the tool basically rests in it screw and you only have to provide the twisting force. Yeah you will probably have to apply some force to keep the tool in the screw but it is much less than a phillips.

Like everyone else has said qualty tools are a MUST HAVE.
96ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 AM   #40

For those people in the UK or Europe, whole don't want to or can't afford or can't source Snap On kit, Facom tools are a viable alternative. They are great quality, and are akin to a french Snap On!

In the UK they are avaliable to order through Halfords. Think my set of hex keys was around the £15 for sizes from 1.5 - 10mm, including odd sizes such as 7mm (not useful for RC, but I needed it when working on my Saab's brakes) which don't come in many kits.

I believe (although don't quote me on this) that Facom has recently been acquired by MAC tools, and therefore should be avaliable through their distributors too.
slackman99 is offline   Reply With Quote