Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #201
Yashua

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
An all metal hot end has active cooling that isolates and reduces the size of the melt zone. The smaller melt zone is easier to control. Improved control of the melt zone reduces oozing and provides cleaner retractions, which improves the quality of the print.

This is the upgrade going on my printer now.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
This is the upgrade going on my printer now.

When installed test a bit of filament when you’ve already got it hot. Then do a PID autotune, you will need a bit of change .

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #203
I wanna be Dave

What I am really happy with is once I set up for PLA I was able to up temperature, adj retraction and print perfect PETG, without any issues.
My biggest fight is cooling, as I went to the Diii cooler and a 50mm fan. Ive found between 60 and 75% is all I need now.
Best single upgrade after the Mosfet upgrade and PID tuning
Old 03-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #204
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What I am really happy with is once I set up for PLA I was able to up temperature, adj retraction and print perfect PETG, without any issues.
My biggest fight is cooling, as I went to the Diii cooler and a 50mm fan. Ive found between 60 and 75% is all I need now.
Best single upgrade after the Mosfet upgrade and PID tuning

After reading about PID tuning you guys got me questioning mine. How are you doing the PID? Are you in the bios or have a setting on the printer control panel?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
After reading about PID tuning you guys got me questioning mine. How are you doing the PID? Are you in the bios or have a setting on the printer control panel?

I input the g code with octoprint. The autotune command will cycle things and give your values. You can input that also with gcode, and then save it with another command. All printers controls are slightly different. Follow this link for commands
http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Hang up and Drive
Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #206
Rock Crawler

I want to get into 3D printing. I've been looking at a couple different printers at Micro Center that are more or less in my price range to start. I like buying local that way if there is a problem right off the bat I can return it or is I don't like it I can return it.

The 1st one I was considering was the PowerSpec WanHao Duplicator I3 PLUS 3D $349.99 will use multiple filament types 8x8x7 bed 1 yr warranty

The 2nd one was the PowerSpec i3 Mini $179.99 as I see it the drawback to this one is that the bed 6x6.4.5 and it will only use PLA 6 month warranty

The $179.99 price appeals to me as it would easier to convience the CFO about the purchase. But I don't want to spend $180 to find out down the road that I wish I would have spent the $350

Any thought on these 2 printers?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #207
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I want to get into 3D printing. I've been looking at a couple different printers at Micro Center that are more or less in my price range to start. I like buying local that way if there is a problem right off the bat I can return it or is I don't like it I can return it.

The 1st one I was considering was the PowerSpec WanHao Duplicator I3 PLUS 3D $349.99 will use multiple filament types 8x8x7 bed 1 yr warranty

The 2nd one was the PowerSpec i3 Mini $179.99 as I see it the drawback to this one is that the bed 6x6.4.5 and it will only use PLA 6 month warranty

The $179.99 price appeals to me as it would easier to convience the CFO about the purchase. But I don't want to spend $180 to find out down the road that I wish I would have spent the $350

I got my monoprice select mini for $99, so I guess I can't complain about the small print bed. As far as quality, I haven't dialed in my settings yet, but there is a large community for this printer, and they say it's really good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

I will jump in here as a rookie 3D printer. I looked around and determined I would want to print in PETG or ABS. ABS stinks, gives off fumes, no indoor use for me. PETG requires a bit higher temperature, but is heat resistant vs PLA. I bought the Monoprice version of the Plus.
Best thing I’ve gotten in a long time. Started printing OOB with ok prints, two months later I can print most files smooth and trouble free.
I did a fair bit of tuning, my learning curve was straightforward , thanks to YouTube videos.
Size, adjustability , support, make the plus a no brainer to me.
I did upgrade the Power with a mosfet mod($20.) and a micro Swiss hot end(for better PETG)($50)
The Z brace mod cost 12.00 in parts, and I printed the rest.
I’m printing a PETG Easter bunny here.

A few of my prints...

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 03-31-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:

In your price range I would look at either the Monoprice Maker Select V2 or Wanhao Duplicator i3 Plus. Either one will produce good prints and have an active user community. Both have plenty of upgrade options.

If you are willing to go about a $100 more, the Creality CR-10 is a really good printer with a big print volume. It has gotten a big following since its introduction and also has a active user community.

Checkout the reviews from Maker's Muse, 3D Printing Nerd or Thomas Sanladerer on Youtube for reviews of these and more printers.

You are getting into 3D printing at a good time. About a year and a half ago, an ok printer would cost at least a $1000. Now you get good prints for under $500.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #210

Wanhao Mini works well too, for its designed purpose of PLA only (no heated bed). It's nice & compact if benchspace is tight. Mini bed size but most of my RC bits fit, doing "long" parts diagonally goes up to about 150mm.

Main hassle with today's FDM 3Dp is the time... takes long time to print anything... if you can gcode to fill up the Mini bed volume IMHO it'll be 24hrs printing or more.

Then "cubing" comes into play, twice the bed size in 3 dimensions = 8X the print time.

Printing a week nonstop? A lot can go awry in a week...
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

Going to Micro Center tomorrow and picking up a PowerSpec WanHao Duplicator I3 PLUS & a roll of PLA for practive. They sell Inland PLA for $14.95 a roll, Inland is rebranded eSun.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #212
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Going to Micro Center tomorrow and picking up a PowerSpec WanHao Duplicator I3 PLUS & a roll of PLA for practive. They sell Inland PLA for $14.95 a roll, Inland is rebranded eSun.

Enjoy !! Check it all over, square things up, make sure everything is plugged in , get a good SD card and start printing !!!!

If it comes with cura, download the latest cura 3.2 but keep the factory settings from the shipped version. That gives you faster slicing and startup. Your sd card should be loaded with gcode print files, use that setup

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-02-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Just chiming in here with a comment - I'm tickled that we have members going by names like "Gramps" diving head-first into 3d printing.

I guess I'm old enough to be a grandpa easily enough, here's hoping I won't be old enough to be a great-grandpa by the time I join in the fun!

Although, one of my favorite things about 3d printing is that all you really need to do is come up with a decently-designed idea, and someone can make it FOR you...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #214
RCC Addict

Quote:
Here are a few links on how to get started and mods for WanHao Duplicator I3 PLUS:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/i3plus/about/

https://makerhacks.com/upgrading-wanhao-di3/

https://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanh...i3-basic-mods/

Happy Printing !!!!!!
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #215
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Just added another printer to the stable, another Monoprice maker select. Got a plus this time to see the differences. Two at home, two at work now. I like the 200mm bed size, as they don't take so long to heat.

I have a CR-10s400 at work, its a damn beast to heat and takes forever. Great for all the big work I don't ever do, it has a .8mm nozzle to suit the huge build area.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #216
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Just added another printer to the stable, another Monoprice maker select. Got a plus this time to see the differences. Two at home, two at work now. I like the 200mm bed size, as they don't take so long to heat.

I have a CR-10s400 at work, its a damn beast to heat and takes forever. Great for all the big work I don't ever do, it has a .8mm nozzle to suit the huge build area.
.8mm

Have you tried insulating the bed?

But I saw this too .....
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #217
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just got back from Micro Center and much to my surprise it was on sale for $299.99, also bought their 2 year warranty that covers anything that can go wrong for $60.

Now it's off to clean off an area to put it.

Thanks for the links k7zpj I'll check them out.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

All unpacked and squared up & leveled getting ready for the 1st print

I printed the included Bot 1st as a test piece. All in all I was very happy with the results. I can see in the back where it's not perfect and the ears also could be better. I'm going to print the included unicorn and see what it looks like.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

Good start !
I must have printed 200 20x20x20 test squares and 25 benchys
I adjusted temp, speed , most everything else, just to see where I was. I will say after I got PLA dialed in, a couple of minor adjustments and I love printing PETG.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #220
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
.8mm

Have you tried insulating the bed?
Yep, it is insulated. Heats faster, but still is a machine that I don't hardly use. Maybe for halloween I'll make a mask or something. Or just sell it. I really don't make big stuff. Would rather make a clay model, mold it, and latex a mask. Faster and better quality without finish work!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM