Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #301
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Just bought a refurbished Monoprice Maker Select V2 for $200, seems to be a pretty well regarded printer and the price seemed good. Current printer is pissing me off, lol.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Was planning to spend more, but I had an opportunity to buy my friend's '04 Mini Cooper S for $1500, so there went my printer budget....
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #302
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
Infill set at 20%.
Front of the boat was pointing right

The stack past the top of the roof broke off with a slight push, it didn't adhere at all.
I would try a few things:
  • Drop the hot end temp down to 200 and increase bed temp to 60
  • Slow the printer speed down a bit 45 maybe 40.
  • Print a calibration cube to work on the blobbing. It is easier to print and takes less time/plastic. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865
Longer term would be a cooling fan upgrade along with a E3D V6 hot end upgrade.

This video goes over how to identify problems with 3D prints and ways to correct it. There is series of these and live sessions every so often. You can get on the notification list for them.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #303
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I've heard of people storing their filament in 5 gallon buckets with lids. I was thinking that a cooler would work. Maybe put a tray in the bottom with Silica Gel Packets under it or just throw in with the reels.
I am using cheap Sterilite storage containers. I used weather stripping to make my own gaskets for it.
I printed rod holders to support 3/4 inch pipe so I can spool the filament right from the box without taking it out. I used bowden tube fittings and tube to make an exit that seals. In the bottom of the box is bulk desiccant granules to make sure it stays dry.

Here is the link to the video that I used for the plans for the first one that I built.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #304
Rock Crawler

Was looking through Thinkiverse and ran across this Rc Stand https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1706154 has anyone printed this? From looking at it in Cura it appears that it would need supports for the dish area in the base & the center of the top.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #305
Rock Crawler

That will last about as long as the DTX one, +- a few days.

The base blows out where the post mounts too.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:39 AM   #306
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Was looking through Thinkiverse and ran across this Rc Stand https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1706154 has anyone printed this? From looking at it in Cura it appears that it would need supports for the dish area in the base & the center of the top.

I’ve done three of these...with two tops.

I drew up the smaller platform for my Bully comp crawler. The large platform works well on my 10# OPIE

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-13-2018 at 05:42 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #307
Custom Carbon Fiber

Is that top layer on the black direct from the printer or did you do any post process clean up? Looks like you got that printer nailed down nice.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #308
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Is that top layer on the black direct from the printer or did you do any post process clean up? Looks like you got that printer nailed down nice.

Straight off the printer in PLA, I’m getting there, I can get consistent results now.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #309

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Shitty 3D printing vendors, like those that call themselves the "King", give 3D printing a bad name. You can get incredible results with an FDM 3D printer if you know what you're doing and you have the patience to wait for a quality print.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #310
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Shitty 3D printing vendors, like those that call themselves the "King", give 3D printing a bad name. You can get incredible results with an FDM 3D printer if you know what you're doing and you have the patience to wait for a quality print.

I didn't buy a printer for years because of how the prints from some sellers look.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #311
I wanna be Dave

Front and rear inner fenders, printed in PETG, fit perfect!

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #312
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Once thing to keep in mind, is that when you have a hammer everything starts to look like a nail. Things like a car stand can be printed, but it works out cheaper and faster in a lot of products to use other construction techniques. Such as bottom and top flat sections out of wood, while the supports that allow spinning could be made of plastic. Far less time printing, less cost of material, quicker from start to finish. Just something to keep in mind
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #313

Quote:
I didn't buy a printer for years because of how the prints from some sellers look.
Same here. I saw the low quality prints and thought that was as advanced as 3D printing was at the time. Certainly not true
Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #314
RCC Addict

Quote:
That is exactly why I have a couple of engineering companies that are coming to me for printing prototypes. The big 3D printing services were slow and a lot of times produced prints that they couldn't use due to appearance or not dimensional correct.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Just bought a refurbished Monoprice Maker Select V2 for $200, seems to be a pretty well regarded printer and the price seemed good. Current printer is pissing me off, lol.

Was planning to spend more, but I had an opportunity to buy my friend's '04 Mini Cooper S for $1500, so there went my printer budget....
Good deal. I wonder how good Monoprices refurbs are?

I'll buy that Mini from ya! $1,500 was a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
That is exactly why I have a couple of engineering companies that are coming to me for printing prototypes. The big 3D printing services were slow and a lot of times produced prints that they couldn't use due to appearance or not dimensional correct.
When I think big print services, I think of companies like Shapeways that make really good stuff and it's not FDM printing. Is that what you mean by "big 3D printing services"?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #316
RCC Addict

Quote:

When I think big print services, I think of companies like Shapeways that make really good stuff and it's not FDM printing. Is that what you mean by "big 3D printing services"?
Yes, that is who they were using. Most of the SLA prints they got were ok, but had visual imperfections that made them not usable for presentations to customers.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #317
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I don't know, but $200 isn't a lot of money (compared to RCs, lol), so I figured it was worth a shot. Plus they seem to be popular enough that I should be able to get community help resolving any issues that might arise.

And yeah, $1500 was super cheap. I'd been thinking about getting something small/fast for a while, so I had to jump on that deal... Has a grumbly hub bearing and has some cosmetic issues, but nothing major.
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #318
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Same here on both statements.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #319
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Once thing to keep in mind, is that when you have a hammer everything starts to look like a nail. Things like a car stand can be printed, but it works out cheaper and faster in a lot of products to use other construction techniques. Such as bottom and top flat sections out of wood, while the supports that allow spinning could be made of plastic. Far less time printing, less cost of material, quicker from start to finish. Just something to keep in mind

Exactly. Those stands took four hours to print. In my area massive outdoor humidity would destroy wood bases, laminated or not. Marine plywood is exorbitant , so in this case all plastic, no wood or metal is best. I’ve looked at a file, then found 12 or more hours to print, when I can buy product made and shipped for under 10.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #320

I'm not sure that I knew the Monoprice resin printer was released. Very small print bed, but I'd love to see the results. I'll have to look into this more tonight.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM