RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   3d printer for rc parts (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/592226-3d-printer-rc-parts.html)

jlwatchman 12-01-2017 01:06 AM

Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5771442)
Hatchbox wood filament. It's awesome.

I can't believe how it can do the wood grain on it. Isn't it just tan PLA?

JatoTheRipper 12-01-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwatchman (Post 5771685)
I can't believe how it can do the wood grain on it. Isn't it just tan PLA?

It's PLA with wood particles in it.

jlwatchman 12-01-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5771745)
It's PLA with wood particles in it.

I just bought a spool of it! What else have you printed with it? Going to need some ideas—but not too many ideas, the stuff is expensive lol

Jim85IROC 12-01-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5771513)
You will want to add the z braze to the maker select. I would also recommend a glass bed and external bed heater FET.

Once my filament gets here I'm going to print the z-braces. I'm not in a hurry to do a glass bed just yet though. At least with PLA, I'm having absolutely no issues with the mousepad mat that it came with.

JatoTheRipper 12-01-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwatchman (Post 5771905)
I just bought a spool of it! What else have you printed with it? Going to need some ideas—but not too many ideas, the stuff is expensive lol

Not too much. I designed and printed a second set of 1911 grips. I also printed this low polygon Donkey Kong and Groot. Groot failed at about 96% because this idiot accidentally hit cancel.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09588fc2e5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a6d2e0be28.jpg

THX_138 12-01-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmo (Post 5770280)
Any recommandations for cheap, but usable printer for rc parts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwatchman (Post 5770320)
Monoprice Select Mini has their refurbished on sale right now for $135

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmo (Post 5770545)
Nice price, but I'm in europe and the shipping kills the deal for me.

No offense Desmo.... but if you're looking for a 3D printer and someone offers up a steal of a deal like that for a mere $135 bucks and you're concerned with shipping??!!??!?? ..... I'm guessing 3D printing may not be for you.

I understand overseas shipping can be a little expensive, but it doesn't matter what you get, it's probably going to require shipping.
Not too mention.... the hobby only gets more expensive the longer you're into it and advance skills, prints and machines.
If shipping is too much right off the bat in the beginning on such a cheap item, it's all just going to get more painful from there.

Good luck

Desmo 12-02-2017 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THX_138 (Post 5771956)
No offense Desmo.... but if you're looking for a 3D printer and someone offers up a steal of a deal like that for a mere $135 bucks and you're concerned with shipping??!!??!?? ..... I'm guessing 3D printing may not be for you.

I understand overseas shipping can be a little expensive, but it doesn't matter what you get, it's probably going to require shipping.
Not too mention.... the hobby only gets more expensive the longer you're into it and advance skills, prints and machines.
If shipping is too much right off the bat in the beginning on such a cheap item, it's all just going to get more painful from there.

Good luck

May be you are right!... Shipping and import taxes and fees when buying from the US are often insanely high. Better buy local or from china.

Stollenritter 12-03-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmo (Post 5771974)
May be you are right!... Shipping and import taxes and fees when buying from the US are often insanely high. Better buy local or from china.

I second that. Shipping from the US to Europe mostly kills the deal. I am ordering CI foams from rcmart Honkong, because shipping foams from Honkong is ~5$, while shipping them from the US is rated 25-50! $. So shipping alone would exceed tax exemtion limits :cry:
Absolutly crazy - and not environment friendly at all.

84yoda 12-03-2017 02:36 PM

The point is, that's a killer deal and even with higher shipping, it will still be cheaper then anything you can get local or shipped closer to you guys.

Stollenritter 12-04-2017 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5772350)
The point is, that's a killer deal and even with higher shipping, it will still be cheaper then anything you can get local or shipped closer to you guys.

true ...

THX_138 12-04-2017 09:05 AM

:oops:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5772350)

HEY !!!! ;-). you got what I was politely trying to convey "thumbsup"

JatoTheRipper 12-04-2017 09:07 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that people want everything for nothing.

durok 12-04-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stollenritter (Post 5772317)
I second that. Shipping from the US to Europe mostly kills the deal. I am ordering CI foams from rcmart Honkong, because shipping foams from Honkong is ~5$, while shipping them from the US is rated 25-50! $. So shipping alone would exceed tax exemtion limits :cry:
Absolutly crazy - and not environment friendly at all.

The shipping costs are horrible... when birthdays and Xmas come around in my family, these days we just give best wishes - because they are all in Germany and it costs more than the gift to send it. We just arrived at the unspoken understanding that when we visit each other there's usually a lot of presents in our luggage!

My German cousin (who I'm very close to) and I used to regularly get each other nice folding knives twice a year... but we've sorta faded away on that.

I can get most of what he gives me for a very fair price buying it online but it takes all the fun out of gift-giving. Same goes for him... and this is the case even for made in USA and made in Germany (Solingen) knives.

**Speaking of 3D-printing, however - my dream retirement situation would include getting a high-end machine and learning all I could about using it, and then manufacturing whatever obscure bits I could come up with accurate dimensions for. Lots of grilles and bumpers, mainly... Oh - and also get setup for making Lexan bodies in small runs.

jebster 12-05-2017 05:22 PM

I think Santa is bringing one of these to my house for Christmas. "thumbsup"

Looking forward to giving it a try. Going to have to get software and some pattern files to play with. Hoping I can find something like the wheels on this (1/14 Scale Earth Mover 870K Hydraulic Wheel Loader) out there.

84yoda 12-05-2017 06:52 PM

What if you can find some rims like a monster truck and 3d print some outside hubs?

jlwatchman 12-08-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmo (Post 5771974)

If you need to buy from China through Gearbest or Banggood or something, the Creality CR-10 or the Anycubic i3 Mega is probably the top choice for the price.

JohnRobHolmes 12-08-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 5771920)
Once my filament gets here I'm going to print the z-braces. I'm not in a hurry to do a glass bed just yet though. At least with PLA, I'm having absolutely no issues with the mousepad mat that it came with.

When you start stabbing yourself trying to get the prints off, just go buy some mirror tile from lowes.

The external heater FET, or at least jumpering the bed positive around the control board, will prevent eventual overheating. The screw terminals they have on the board don't handle the current forever. I hard soldered my bed wires to the board for now. Just got a FET to remove power and heat from the main board.

jebster 12-09-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5773150)
What if you can find some rims like a monster truck and 3d print some outside hubs?

Hadn't thought about that. That is a good idea. Maybe just made a faceplate to attach to the front of an existing set of beadlocks.

Jim85IROC 12-09-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5774169)
When you start stabbing yourself trying to get the prints off, just go buy some mirror tile from lowes.

The external heater FET, or at least jumpering the bed positive around the control board, will prevent eventual overheating. The screw terminals they have on the board don't handle the current forever. I hard soldered my bed wires to the board for now. Just got a FET to remove power and heat from the main board.

Thanks for the advice. I started looking into the FET mod and will likely do that shortly. It looks like it's just using the FET as a buffer to send the power directly from the battery to the bed.

skyjockey 12-14-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwatchman (Post 5770320)
Monoprice Select Mini has their refurbished on sale right now for $135 which is insane:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...ls+LLC-1122587

It is a plug and play printer that doesn't require technical setup that would ruin the experience for a beginner.

!

$159 now but I might have to get it ! Is there a place that has RC parts files that are easy to find??