Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #981
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

So I just had my extruder temp sensor fail on my Prusa MK3S after I attempted to clean up the hot end with a brass wire brush, it failed right when I was brushing it. I was expecting to find a broken or frayed wire but I did not.

Now I'm wondering if what really happened was the wire brush contacting both leads on the sensor and shorting it or the board out?

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd already ordered a new temp sensor before I considered this.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #982

Good day, tell me what is the best material for 3D printing for the bumper to be durable and withstand collisions.
qs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #983
I wanna be Dave

Metal

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #984
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by qs110 View Post
Good day, tell me what is the best material for 3D printing for the bumper to be durable and withstand collisions.

I think ABS or Nylon are likely the strongest but printing these materials requires that you enclose and vent your printer. For this reason no everyone wants to print with these materials.

I use PETG for bumpers, it doesn't off gas anything hazardous, it holds up well to heat and is pretty strong compared to PLA.
I think another key to strength is in the design of the part as well, make it beefy so it has a chance. I like to print with 100% infill.

I'd recommend not designing it to use the typical bumper post as these fail very easily. I've done a combination of the post with additional mounts from above.

My preferred method is to remove the front crossmember and model it into the bumper itself. Its not the easiest thing to see but these mount where the front crossmember normally mounts.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-24-2019 at 07:14 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #985
Quarry Creeper

The carbon filled filament is about the strongest I've found without going to nylon. But you have to make sure you have a hardened tip as it will eat through a normal tip pretty quickly.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #986
Quarry Creeper

My wife bought me an Ender 3 printer last year and it has been a lot of fun. It really has helped my CAD design a lot too as you can make something in CAD, print it and then try it out. I feel like it has been a great tool around my house and as said previously helped to make me a better designer.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #987
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
My wife bought me an Ender 3 printer last year and it has been a lot of fun. It really has helped my CAD design a lot too as you can make something in CAD, print it and then try it out. I feel like it has been a great tool around my house and as said previously helped to make me a better designer.
I find myself looking around, "what do I need to design next..."
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #988
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
I find myself looking around, "what do I need to design next..."

Yeah it is pretty cool tech. I remember when I first saw the RepRap 3d printer back in 2005 or so, and how cool I thought the concept was. I liked that concept because people would give you parts to build a printer that they printed, and once you build yours you would print parts for the next guy. At that time though you couldn't buy a printer or filament so it was a very different animal.

Last edited by Stomp; 11-04-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #989
I wanna be Dave

Have no previous experience with 3D printers, considering getting one, and...at least as of right now...the Ender 5 Pro is looking pretty good. I realize it was just recently released, but am still hoping that someone in here has some knowledge about it, and, better yet, some hands-on experience. If I'm to get a 3D printer, I probably can't afford to spend much more than $400-500. Plus, considering Crealitu has the Ender 5 Pro for $100 off, figured this could be a "good time" to buy.

Thought? Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #990
I wanna be Dave

I just pre-ordered my Prusa Mini. Finally getting into the 3D printing game. I've been looking at the Prusa MK3S for a loooong time, but when they announced the Mini, it seemed like exactly what I needed. I'll probably pick up another one later on if I really start getting into it, so that I can queue up prints. With the Mini, it also has print farm capability too if you have more than 1.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #991
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I just pre-ordered my Prusa Mini. Finally getting into the 3D printing game. I've been looking at the Prusa MK3S for a loooong time, but when they announced the Mini, it seemed like exactly what I needed. I'll probably pick up another one later on if I really start getting into it, so that I can queue up prints. With the Mini, it also has print farm capability too if you have more than 1.
The Prusa Mini is definitely what I would go with if I was starting out now. The big things that will make your 3D printing life much easier are the bed autoleveling and PEI coated spring steel build plate. Getting the bed level, making the first layer stick, and getting the print off if it sticks too well are major sources of beginner frustration and the Prusa does a great job of minimizing those problems. Yes, you can get those features in cheaper printers but they don't work nearly as well as the Prusa setup. I know no one actually has the Prusa Minis in hand yet, but if they are anywhere near as good as the MK3S then I don't know if there will be a better under $500 printer.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #992
Rock Crawler

I agree with SVT. If the Mini is anything like my MK3S it'll be an awesome little printer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #993
I wanna be Dave

I was checking out the Mini...noticed it can't print nylon. From what I've read, ABS isn't as steering as PLA, but PLA is brittle. Figured, since my purpose in considering a 3D printer is primarily (at least for now) to print RC parts, nylon would be the way to go. Nylon needs 250° minimum, but Mini maxes out at 240°. Ender 5 Pro maxes out at 260°, thus nylon is possible. Or, am I missing something?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #994
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I was checking out the Mini...noticed it can't print nylon. From what I've read, ABS isn't as steering as PLA, but PLA is brittle. Figured, since my purpose in considering a 3D printer is primarily (at least for now) to print RC parts, nylon would be the way to go. Nylon needs 250° minimum, but Mini maxes out at 240°. Ender 5 Pro maxes out at 260°, thus nylon is possible. Or, am I missing something?

You're mostly right about nylon in terms of it being the best for RC stuff. But PETG is 95% as good as nylon and it's pretty much all that I use. PETG has good dimensional stability, similar strength properties to ABS, ease of printing like PLA, has some flex to it and typically prints under 240.

Nylon can be extremely difficult to print for newer users, bed adhesion is always an issue. PETG is more like PLA in terms of ease of printing. And it's expensive.

I wouldn't worry about being able to print nylon, consider PETG and I firmly believe you'll find it does everything you need it to.

I currently operate a fleet (18+) of Prusa machines (MK2, MK3 & MK3S) at work and I can't wait to get my hands on a mini for at home.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #995
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Nylon can be extremely difficult to print for newer users, bed adhesion is always an issue. PETG is more like PLA in terms of ease of printing. And it's expensive.
And it is a pain in the ass to keep dry.

My buddy prints a lot of nylon and has to print it directly out of a filament drier to get consistent good quality prints. He showed me a part printed on the same machine with the same settings after leaving a roll of nylon out for a couple days and it looked like a dog chewed on it in comparison to the dry nylon print.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #996
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:

I cant speak for the Prusa's since Ive never owned any but you can get extruder mods to help get temps up higher.

Nylon, even CF inpregnated Nylon, is great stuff but its not totally needed in what we do. Yes the strength is there but if you design right and dont try creating high stress parts then PETG and PLA are fine.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #997
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
And it is a pain in the ass to keep dry.

My buddy prints a lot of nylon and has to print it directly out of a filament drier to get consistent good quality prints. He showed me a part printed on the same machine with the same settings after leaving a roll of nylon out for a couple days and it looked like a dog chewed on it in comparison to the dry nylon print.
Yea, I've seen comparison photos..."wet" is NOT good. MatterHackers makes a filament drier ($125) that can have the filament go straight from the drier, to the printer.

UPDATE: First, thank you to those who have responded...and, FU (I mean this in a good, NOT bad way)...lol

The "thank you" is for bringing Prusa Research printers to my attention...the "FU" is for adding not 1, but 2 printers to what had previously been a "list of 1". Now you not only have me considering the Mini, but I'm also considering the possibility of holding off, saving up more $$, and getting the I3 MMK3S (unless an MMK4 gets released in the near-future). While it does cost considerably more, I can see several advantages over the Mini, the biggest of which is the Direct Drive extruder, and the ability to upgrade to a multi-filament configuration. While the Ender 5 Pro doesn't come with a Direct Drive, there are several available. As for the Mini, I don't think this will be a possibility, due to the cantilever design.

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #998
RCC Addict

Quote:
UPDATE: First, thank you to those who have responded...and, FU (I mean this in a good, NOT bad way)...lol

The "thank you" is for bringing Prusa Research printers to my attention...the "FU" is for adding not 1, but 2 printers to what had previously been a "list of 1". Now you not only have me considering the Mini, but I'm also considering the possibility of holding off, saving up more $$, and getting the I3 MMK3S (unless an MMK4 gets released in the near-future). While it does cost considerably more, I can see several advantages over the Mini, the biggest of which is the Direct Drive extruder, and the ability to upgrade to a multi-filament configuration. While the Ender 5 Pro doesn't come with a Direct Drive, there are several available. As for the Mini, I don't think this will be a possibility, due to the cantilever design.
Lol, thanks and sorry..

The MK3S is an amazing machine. They're coming with powdercoated bedsheets now as well, and those are phenomenal.

You absolutely will not regret it if you buy a Prusa. Without even mentioning the machines themselves, the customer service and support from the company is second to none. No other companies have put as much time and energy into making a printer user friendly and easy to operate.

I can't recommend the MMU though (even V2), we've got one here and while it's pretty cool, it's totally unreliable. Jams on almost every filament change. The software is incredibly smart and pauses so you can clear the jam and restart so it's not a print killer, but it's a pain to deal with.

You're right about the direct drive for the mini, it's not likely to be easy to upgrade/change that. But the only downside taht I can think of to a bowden tube set-up is that you can't print flexible filaments (TPE, TPU etc). Personally I don't really need to print those so I have a bowden on my home machine - takes a loat of the load off the X axis and reduces wear & tear..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #999
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Have no previous experience with 3D printers, considering getting one, and...at least as of right now...the Ender 5 Pro is looking pretty good. I realize it was just recently released, but am still hoping that someone in here has some knowledge about it, and, better yet, some hands-on experience. If I'm to get a 3D printer, I probably can't afford to spend much more than $400-500. Plus, considering Crealitu has the Ender 5 Pro for $100 off, figured this could be a "good time" to buy.

Thought? Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

One thing you need to remember is that you will need to buy filament as well. If you want to get 4 different colors that will cost you another $100. For $230 you can pick up the tried and true Creality Ender 3 and still have plenty of money for filament. It is the one I have had for the past year, and has a good reputation. The Ender 5 seems to have a fair bit of issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Prin...st_sto_dp&th=1
Old 11-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #1000
Quarry Creeper

My next printer is going to be this.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM