Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #1081

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
The prusa filament is great, not the absolute BEST I've ever used but in the top few for sure.

And about the mmu-

We've got an mmu2 set up but we've never been able to get it running with 100% reliability. It jams on at least 3/5 filament changes.

The software is really good and you can almost always recover the prints but it blows your print time up by constantly have check/fix jams but I've basically given up on it.

And it takes up a lot of space with 5 filament spools that all need to be on the table behind the printer.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Thank you. I appreciate all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Getting the MMU2 working successfully takes a lot of time to get the filament profiles right so you don't get jams and you have to have the filament sensors adjusted correctly to make it reliable.

I have my MMU to the point where I am only having to do manual interventions once per 5000 color changes. It is really nice once you have it working.

It is critical that the printer is working perfectly before adding the MMU2. I would wait 6 months to get used to your printer before ordering it.

Using Prusa filament is a good way to start since there are really good filament profiles in PrusaSlicer 2.
Thank you. Definitely looks like I won't be adding it at least until they get it working 99%.

Quote:
Congratulations on the new printer. I think going the kit route is the right decision. When the new set up of upgrades come out, you will be comfortable with taking the printer apart and installing the upgrades.

If you don't have an 8mm drill bit, you will want to get one. The rod holes in the x-axis parts are not round. You need to use the drill bit as reamer to make the rods fit correctly. A lot of people hammer them in and end up with bent rods which causes all kinds of problems.
Thank you!

Good to know!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #1082

This weekend I got my all-metal hot end installed on my Monoprice printer. It was mostly a piece of cake, except that the directions stated to have the thermal barrier tube sticking up about 1.7mm. I did that, and found that the nozzle didn't sit far enough down, which allowed the bottom of my fan to contact the printing bed. After a little adjustment to move the tube down a bit further, all went well and I'm back to printing. Pretty soon I'll try my first PETG prints.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #1083
RCC Addict

Prusa just posted an updated to the status of the Prusa Mini and update info for the MK3 and PrusaSlicer: https://blog.prusaprinters.org/2019-...a-mini-update/
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Let me know how you like the Overture. I just got a roll of the black stuff in along with my all metal hot end that I'm upgrading my Monoprice with. My Hatchbox PLA has been my favorite stuff, so I planned on Hatchbox PETG until I made the same discovery that you did. The Overture seems to be very highly rated on Amazon, so hopefully it's good stuff.
I'm not a fan of Overture so far. I have to print it hotter than my Hatchbox PETG and the results aren't as good with Overture. I'm not giving up on it, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #1085
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This weekend I got my all-metal hot end installed on my Monoprice printer. It was mostly a piece of cake, except that the directions stated to have the thermal barrier tube sticking up about 1.7mm. I did that, and found that the nozzle didn't sit far enough down, which allowed the bottom of my fan to contact the printing bed. After a little adjustment to move the tube down a bit further, all went well and I'm back to printing. Pretty soon I'll try my first PETG prints.

Patience and similar settings as you use on PLA, no prob. I run less fan, and more heat(30% fan 240/80) with my micro Swiss, consistent and no strings.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Patience and similar settings as you use on PLA, no prob. I run less fan, and more heat(30% fan 240/80) with my micro Swiss, consistent and no strings.

Hang up and Drive
I'm not terribly happy with my PLA settings. I couldn't get it to stop stringing, even with massive retraction levels. I never figured it out, and just learned to accept that I'm going to get a string across the top of my finished print as the nozzle moves by.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #1087

Quote:
I'm not terribly happy with my PLA settings. I couldn't get it to stop stringing, even with massive retraction levels. I never figured it out, and just learned to accept that I'm going to get a string across the top of my finished print as the nozzle moves by.
What are your print settings on PLA?

Update on the Overture PETG. My printer had no issues printing Hatchbox PETG. It seems it struggles to get hot enough for the Overture. The extruder skips/clicks like it can't extrude easily enough and I'm maxed out on temperature. Never had this issue with Hatchbox.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What are your print settings on PLA?

Update on the Overture PETG. My printer had no issues printing Hatchbox PETG. It seems it struggles to get hot enough for the Overture. The extruder skips/clicks like it can't extrude easily enough and I'm maxed out on temperature. Never had this issue with Hatchbox.
I'll have to look when I get home for the details. I recall the print temp being around 215C, and retraction being something stupid like 10mm. I think I'm printing too hot for PLA, but my prints seem to be good and strong, which was a priority over cosmetics. I probably should have tried a lower temp and lowering fan speeds instead of cranking the nozzle temps, but once I got good, functional prints, I more or less quit trying.

What temps are you trying to print the PETG at? I know my printer can maintain 250C nozzle temps, but haven't attempted to go any higher yet.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #1089

Quote:
I'll have to look when I get home for the details. I recall the print temp being around 215C, and retraction being something stupid like 10mm. I think I'm printing too hot for PLA, but my prints seem to be good and strong, which was a priority over cosmetics. I probably should have tried a lower temp and lowering fan speeds instead of cranking the nozzle temps, but once I got good, functional prints, I more or less quit trying.

What temps are you trying to print the PETG at? I know my printer can maintain 250C nozzle temps, but haven't attempted to go any higher yet.
I typically print Hatchbox PETG around 235°. For the Overture I have my printer maxed out at 250° which, without an enclosure, is more realistically around 240-245° per the printer readout.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #1090
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I typically print Hatchbox PETG around 235°. For the Overture I have my printer maxed out at 250° which, without an enclosure, is more realistically around 240-245° per the printer readout.

Does your temp bounce? , have you used an in fate heat gun to check actual temp at nozzle?
If bouncing use a PID tune for the print temp you want. If Hot end is too cool, cut your fan back in your slicer, or manually.
I print most PLA at 220/215, fan at 100% except for first two layers.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #1091

Wait...WHAT?

I just got an email saying my Prusa i3 shipped! That was much faster than the estimated lead time. Woohoo!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #1092
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wait...WHAT?

I just got an email saying my Prusa i3 shipped! That was much faster than the estimated lead time. Woohoo!
When did you order yours? Trying to get a time estimate.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
When did you order yours? Trying to get a time estimate.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
January 11th.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #1094
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
January 11th.
Shit (oops, pardon my Swahili...lol). That's A LOT better than the "April" timeframe the website was indicating a few days ago. Gotta see how much my paycheck is tomorrow, and, after paying the rest of this month's, and the beginning of next month's, bills, if there's more than enough last over, it might be time to place me order. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Shit (oops, pardon my Swahili...lol). That's A LOT better than the "April" timeframe the website was indicating a few days ago. Gotta see how much my paycheck is tomorrow, and, after paying the rest of this month's, and the beginning of next month's, bills, if there's more than enough last over, it might be time to place me order. Thanks.

I ordered the i3. It stated 2-3 weeks lead time when I ordered and it still shows that today. The Mini, on the other hand, still shows a lead time out to April. The lead time made the decision for me and it's the reason I did not buy the Mini. I was leaning towards the i3 anyway, but the lead time solidified my decision.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #1096
RCC Addict

Quote:
I ordered the i3. It stated 2-3 weeks lead time when I ordered and it still shows that today. The Mini, on the other hand, still shows a lead time out to April. The lead time made the decision for me and it's the reason I did not buy the Mini. I was leaning towards the i3 anyway, but the lead time solidified my decision.

You made the choice to buy the MK3 at the right time.

They were able to work through the Mk3 shipping queue a bit faster than published since the Mini is still on shipping hold.

The Mini is suppose to start shipping again next week when the updated displays with the new rotatory encoders arrive from the supplier.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #1097

Quote:
You made the choice to buy the MK3 at the right time.

They were able to work through the Mk3 shipping queue a bit faster than published since the Mini is still on shipping hold.

The Mini is suppose to start shipping again next week when the updated displays with the new rotatory encoders arrive from the supplier.
Oh wow. Sounds like I got in just in time. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #1098
RCC Addict

For those who have a Prusa Mini on order, here is the new shipping table that shows the deliver date by work week ordered: https://help.prusa3d.com/article/6Od...-shippingtable
Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #1099

My Prusa i3 was not delivered today. The DHL driver must have decided he didn't feel like working a full day. We got a couple of inches of snow on Sunday. The roads were clear Sunday night and today they were also clear and we didn't get a single drop of precipitation. But the driver claims he couldn't deliver them due to the weather. The "official" response on the tracking is:

"The shipment is being held and not expected to be moved or delivered on time due to a Force Majeure event with Weather." LOL WUT? Clear roads must be a bitch to navigate for DHL. It seems more like they didn't want to deliver just because it's DHL. Typical from what I hear.

They'll "try again" tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #1100
I wanna be Dave

Unfortunately, yes...typical of DHL. Had a similar delivery problem work then a few weeks ago. The sad/funny thing in, I love in the SF Bay Area, where there was NO bad weather of any kind.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM