Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #1121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I haven’t followed the thread in a few hole and was steered toward this by a coworker. Thoughts/opinions on it?

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/p...pro-3d-printer
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #1122
I wanna be Dave

Not having a Prussia, my thoughts are check all grub screws on your steppers

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #1123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I haven’t followed the thread in a few hole and was steered toward this by a coworker. Thoughts/opinions on it?

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/p...pro-3d-printer

I love my Creality for PLA.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #1124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I love my Creality for PLA.

Hang up and Drive

Thanks. It’d be RC parts and stuff for the kids. Maybe a set of peep sights.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #1125
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm having another strange issue with my Prusa i3 MK3S. It seems to have suddenly went out of calibration. The first later lines were way too far apart. I did a First layer calibration and that was fine. I think did a Selftest and that's when I got this error. Any ideas?

The self test is counting the steps to move the bed from back to front. If there is something causing slipping, the count will be off and you will get this error.

Troubleshooting steps:

0) Hold the pulley and see if the belt slips if you move the bed.

1) Check the pulley on the y-axis motor to make sure it is still tight on the shaft and that one of the set screws is on the flat of the shaft.

2) Remove the Y-axis belt and check for damage. Watch for pieces of parts coming off while remove the belt.

3) Check the idler pulley / bearing for damage and that is running freely. You may need to remove it to make sure the bearing hasn't failed.

4) Check the y-axis idler holder and y-axis motor mount for cracks.

5) Check the belt tightener parts for cracks / movement and that they are tightly attached to the bed.

6) Make sure the bed moves smoothly and you don't have a sticking bearing.

7) Reinstall and tension the belt.

8 Rerun the self test.

9) If the above doesn't fix it, then it could be a problem with the stepper or the Einsy board.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by k7zpj; 04-02-2020 at 01:07 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #1126
I wanna be Dave

My Prusa MK3s failed calibration once due to a strand of filament being stuck to the bottom of the build plate, make sure its clean.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #1127
Pebble Pounder

You fellas that have a Prusa, did you have a printer before purchasing the Prusa? If so how do they compare? I am trying to decide whether I am better to buy a New Prusa or another printer say an Ender or Creality or whatever. I currently have a Wanhao i3 Plus and it does a decent job but I see prints out there that are amazing. I am just wondering is it time to get something with newer technology? Is it worth the $$$ to get the Prusa or are some of these others just as good. It’s hard to go by reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #1128
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgraber92 View Post
You fellas that have a Prusa, did you have a printer before purchasing the Prusa? If so how do they compare? I am trying to decide whether I am better to buy a New Prusa or another printer say an Ender or Creality or whatever. I currently have a Wanhao i3 Plus and it does a decent job but I see prints out there that are amazing. I am just wondering is it time to get something with newer technology? Is it worth the $$$ to get the Prusa or are some of these others just as good. It’s hard to go by reviews.

I will add a pop here, I have a modded IIIPlus and love it, cranks out PETG all day. I bought the Creality shown on sale and don’t regret it one bit. Due to the magnetic build plate and Bowden tube, it’s really only for PLA.... BUT out of the box, self leveling I did a ten hour print that turned out perfect...... Totally shocking, surprising, and quite pleasing.... I’ve yet to have an issue, I got mine at AMain on Black Friday for a real steal, with coupons also.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #1129
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I went from a Monoprice Maker Select (almost identical to your Wanhao) to a Prusa i3 MK3S. I don't regret the purchase. With the Prusa I've only had one issue so far, and was quickly solved by lubing the bearings.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #1130
Pebble Pounder

Technically mine was a Maker Select Plus. I have since modified it quite a bit and updated to new firmware so it is kind of it’s own machine. I call it a Wanhao because most people are more familiar with that name. It prints PLA and PETG easily. It just lacks the bells and whistles of newer machines. I just don’t know whether it’s time to move to a newer machine and if so do I drop the cash on a Prusa or something similar at a much lower price. At the end of the day it is a hobby machine. I print to extend my hobby but not as a business by selling parts. There is still that part of me that likes things to look and function well that I do print.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #1131
RCC Addict

Quote:

• The removable build sheet and mesh bed leveling on the MK3s makes it worth the extra $$$ for me. You can start a print and not have to worry if there is going to be a problem. I have had mine for 2 years now and don't regret it at all.
  • An advantage of getting a real Prusa printer is that they are continuing to improve the model and provide upgraded files and parts to keep your printer current. Mine started out as a MK3 and was upgraded to the latest MK3s R5 parts.
  • Prusa provides excellent support in case you have a problem with your printer and the Prusa forum community is great for helping.
  • On the other hand you can do upgrades to your printer to mesh bed leveling and filament run out detection. It all comes down to how much money you have to spend and what you want to do.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
  • The removable build sheet and mesh bed leveling on the MK3s makes it worth the extra $$$ for me. You can start a print and not have to worry if there is going to be a problem. I have had mine for 2 years now and don't regret it at all.
  • An advantage of getting a real Prusa printer is that they are continuing to improve the model and provide upgraded files and parts to keep your printer current. Mine started out as a MK3 and was upgraded to the latest MK3s R5 parts.
  • Prusa provides excellent support in case you have a problem with your printer and the Prusa forum community is great for helping.
  • On the other hand you can do upgrades to your printer to mesh bed leveling and filament run out detection. It all comes down to how much money you have to spend and what you want to do.
I agree with all of your points.

Another good thing about Prusa is the community is massive and there are lots of very helpfu guys like k7zpj out there!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #1133
RCC Addict

Quote:

I had a Prusa "clone" (FLSun i3) before getting into the genuine Prusa machines. My clone was pretty good, consistent prints, minimal failures and easy enough to use. But it was loud and there was some minor issues I could never get sorted out.

The genuine ones are night and day better though. More reliable, quieter, easier to use, easier to build, better support, easier troubleshooting, easier parts availability.

A lot of the clones and/or knock-offs can be quite good if you're willing & able to spend the time and money to get there but imo, the Prusa machines are worth every penny.

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 04-02-2020 at 04:38 PM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:39 PM   #1134
Rock Crawler

Oh yeah, the reduced noise is HUGE plus. When I first got mine I had to keep checking on because I thought it had stopped running...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #1135
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Love my Ender 3 PRO!

I entered the 3D printer world last December with the PRO and have had great success without any issues.

There were a few printable mods that I did right away and also added the Capricorn bowden tubing. Once the bed was leveled, I've had flawless prints. My printer runs everyday for hours at a time and I have not had a single problem with it.

Name:  IMG_4745 (2).jpg
Views: 498
Size:  99.4 KB
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #1136
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the feedback, B-Mow.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #1137
Pebble Pounder

I appreciate all the feedback! I’m really leaning toward the Prusa for all the reasons you guys haven mention. Second on the list would probably be the Ender partly price and features as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #1138
Rock Stacker

I ordered a Prusa mini just to make smaller parts. Only problem is I ordered it January 4th and says it won't be delivered until June.... UGH!!!!
str8bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #1139
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8bucs View Post
I ordered a Prusa mini just to make smaller parts. Only problem is I ordered it January 4th and says it won't be delivered until June.... UGH!!!!

It amazing that they are still able to still ship printers to work down the backlog of orders.
First demand exceeded projections, hardware issues with the LCD and firmware that stopped production in December. Now they are having to do production and shipping under a lot of restrictions due to the covid-19 virus.

However, it will be worth the wait.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:48 AM   #1140
Quarry Creeper

I’d like to join the 3D printing community, what printer would be suggested for me, I want something plug and play, don’t want to be doing mods or changing things as soon as I get it. Ive never done it before so user friendly but good quality.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM