Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #881
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
very odd.

Why isn't it hard wired? FYI I'm not familiar with the Ender.

It uses the same control box as the CR-10. Nothing is hard wired on it. Presumably because the box and machine are separate units. When they made the ender 3 they just took that box and broken it down to smaller parts and attached them to the frame.
The CR-10 originally had issues with the heated bed plug getting beat up, the new versions had a supported that was from a users fix to it.

I guess this was an attempt to remove that plug completely and move the connections to someplace that doesn't experience as much movement.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #882
I wanna be Dave

When I did the MOSFET mod on my 3Plus , they actually recommended using those to connect the power supply .

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #883
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking for a new filament to try out, just something a touch stronger than PLA. I'm thinking PETG might be a good one to try. I'm not sure I want to step all the way up to ABS due to it being pretty tricky to print nicely.

Any input guys? Is PETG the next step up for a noob? Or is it also a tricky material?

EDIT: I also see the carbon fiber PETG and the description says its stronger and more heat resistant than PLA and ABS (regular PETG also says this)

EDIT 2: okay I looked back a few pages here and PETG does sound like a good next filament to try out.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-07-2019 at 05:50 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #884
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

I started and mastered PLA. I also wanted something that could sit in the heat of the car in Florida sunshine. PETG worked well. I upped my bed temp and extruder temp and dialed it in . I did need a different PID tune for the higher temp. I also cut my cooling fan back to 80% and am happy. I printed 4 or 5 of these skids for my buddy’s and have only cracked one, and it’s still running.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 02-07-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #885
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Mike, someone mentioned changing to a larger nozzle, is that a must for PETG?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #886
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks Mike, someone mentioned changing to a larger nozzle, is that a must for PETG?

I’m using the stock size. I did upgrade to a micro Swiss all metal.
I went out and found the cheapest color of filament that my supplier had. I started with green metallic and then got this red. I paid about 16.00 for them vs 24.00 that the black cost me. I printed benchys and cubes till I mastered it. Now I print mainly in PETG.
I too didn’t want ABS due to the fumes.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #887
I wanna be Dave

Oh I forgot about the fumes, I still print inside my house so no thanks.

Thanks for the tip on color, I was gonna get black but didn't notice the price difference.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #888

Quote:
I'm also using the stock nozzle on my Monoprice Select Mini.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #889
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
. I did need a different PID tune for the higher temp. I also cut my cooling fan back to 80% and am happy.
Hang up and Drive

What did you do that for?

Quote:
I'm looking for a new filament to try out, just something a touch stronger than PLA. I'm thinking PETG might be a good one to try. I'm not sure I want to step all the way up to ABS due to it being pretty tricky to print nicely.

Any input guys? Is PETG the next step up for a noob? Or is it also a tricky material?

EDIT: I also see the carbon fiber PETG and the description says its stronger and more heat resistant than PLA and ABS (regular PETG also says this)

EDIT 2: okay I looked back a few pages here and PETG does sound like a good next filament to try out.

Come join me on my PETG adventure. I have worked with it before, but now I am making some parts that require a decent finish. MikemcE has already suggested a profile change, which was done and prints completed with it, so we can see what the changes resulted in.

Lets 3D print a Bronco Concept Body.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 02-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #890
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
What did you do that for

I installed a 50 mm fan and a Di cooler mod. That’s where the test towers pointed me.

Hang up and Drive
Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #891
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I installed a 50 mm fan and a Di cooler mod. That’s where the test towers pointed me.

Hang up and Drive

I haven thought about testing the fan speed, going to put that on the list of things to look at.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #892
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Come join me on my PETG adventure. I have worked with it before, but now I am making some parts that require a decent finish. MikemcE has already suggested a profile change, which was done and prints completed with it, so we can see what the changes resulted in.

Lets 3D print a Bronco Concept Body.
Subbed, I will be following along. Just ordered some Push Plastic PETG from Amain, I just noticed they have a 3D printing section.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #893
Custom Carbon Fiber

Any of you guys running Cura 3.5 or greater on a win7 or win10 system?

Curious if youre having any problems with Cura not seeing the printer after windows updates.

Got back on the printer couple weeks ago and was perfect. Let win10 do its update last friday night and all weekend I couldnt get 3.5 or any newer ones to work.

If I use Cura 15 it worked but the tuning and settings are just prehistoric compared to the newer versions.

Tried changing ports, baudrates, unplugging, reinstalling, rebooting, yelling at it in an unknown language of specific words. Just curious .... Ill diddle around google tonight just figured Id pop in here.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #894

As far as I know, I'm on the latest Cura, or just 1 or 2 versions behind. My I just put Cura on my Win10 machine a few weeks ago, so my version of Cura on it is pretty recent. I've had no issues with it not finding my printer. I'm using a Maker Select V2, and told Cura it's an I3.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #895
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
As far as I know, I'm on the latest Cura, or just 1 or 2 versions behind. My I just put Cura on my Win10 machine a few weeks ago, so my version of Cura on it is pretty recent. I've had no issues with it not finding my printer. I'm using a Maker Select V2, and told Cura it's an I3.
Interesting .... maybe Ill try telling mine its a Prusa tonight since its a knock off and Ive flashed the bios a while back. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Interesting .... maybe Ill try telling mine its a Prusa tonight since its a knock off and Ive flashed the bios a while back. Thanks for the idea.
Just make sure you change the Z axis to 180mm after you select the I3. The Maker Select has a 180mm Z axis, and the I3 has a 200.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #897
Custom Carbon Fiber

Just FYI incase anyone runs into this. My Win10 did its auto update this past Saturday night. I used the printer Friday night no problems at all running Cura 3.5 and prints were perfect.

When I closed it out friday i let windows do its update and power off on its own. Fired up Saturday and no communication through the USB. I had it happen once before after an update and I just went lazy and rolled the system back then carried on.

I spent good chuck of Saturday night and Sunday trying everything. Last night i hit it again and found a post on some forum back in 2014 about the USB port. Someone posted about reinstalling their CH340 driver so I looked at mine and mine was named Ramps4. Downloaded the CH340 driver and let it install then restarted the computer.

It worked ....... Cura 15 and 3.5 both connect through the USB again. Figured I would pst here just incase someone else runs into this or something similar.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #898
I wanna be Dave

Last night I encountered a sizing oddity that I wanted to throw out in case someone is familiar with it.

I was designing a little spacer to fill a gap inside of a link. I started off keeping the wall thickness 1mm as I found below .8mm thick that nothing would print at all. So with a 1mm wall I started sizing it small and gradually made it larger until it was a snug fit. Once the ID was right the OD was too big.

Anyway after staring over on sizing using a .9mm wall thickness all of a sudden the same dimensions I used with 1mm thick were much bigger. My 1mm thick dimension was 4.6mm to fit right but using a .9mm thick wall to get the same fit I sized down to 4.25mm.

I know there will be inconsistencies with prints but this was pretty consistent as I iterated to dial in sizing. Before trying the .9mm thick wall I had kind of admitted defeat assuming I just couldnt print something with the dimensions I was after, but changing to a thinner wall somehow flipped the sizing and tolerances on their head.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-13-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #899
Rock Crawler

So tax returns are coming, and I'm eyeballing a new printer. Been looking hard at a genuine Prusa i3 MK3S kit instead of a cheaper knock-off this time. Anyone have any experience with these printers?

Also considering a LulzBot TAZ 6, but that's a pretty big step up in cost...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #900
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
So tax returns are coming, and I'm eyeballing a new printer. Been looking hard at a genuine Prusa i3 MK3S kit instead of a cheaper knock-off this time. Anyone have any experience with these printers?

Also considering a LulzBot TAZ 6, but that's a pretty big step up in cost...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I went with the Prusa I3 MK3 and I've been extremely pleased with it. Its really dialed in if you just want to get started quick and avoid having to troubleshoot. I feel like the extra cost is worth it for the support from the company, being able to cope with power outages, running out of filament, bump detection, it also can detect skipped steps and layer shifting.

I just got it setup early January and I've printed something almost everyday since. The only Issue I had was getting a Z axis motor that was bad but Prusa sent me a replacement after I contacted them (they did ask for a short video)

I just noticed they're calling it the MK3S now I'm not sure exactly what the difference is. EDIT: I found an article that goes over the difference https://www.prusaprinters.org/origin...sheets-update/

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM