Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #1161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

I got my Prusa Mini up and running great now... It's addicting to just keep finding things to print. I'm at the point now where I need to find time to learn how to make stuff now in Fusion 360.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #1162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I got my Prusa Mini up and running great now... It's addicting to just keep finding things to print. I'm at the point now where I need to find time to learn how to make stuff now in Fusion 360.

Look up Lars Christiansen on You Tube, some great beginning lessons, then join Josh on Sunday Night STL’s
I’m understanding 360 now

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #1163
Quarry Creeper

Just getting into the 3d printer world and ordered an Ender 3 v2 that will be here next week. What are some good youtube channels, what kind of tools do you need like calipers and what not
ribaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #1164
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribaja View Post
Just getting into the 3d printer world and ordered an Ender 3 v2 that will be here next week. What are some good youtube channels, what kind of tools do you need like calipers and what not
I use calipers (EDIT: Metric calipers, most all design work is done in metric), rulers and a tape measure for stuff larger than my ruler or calipers can measure.

Look one post up for a good youtube tutorial. Tutorials can be overwhelming, I find it easier to try to absorb a little at a time and to apply it as you learn it as that makes understanding it way easier than taking in info but not using it.

Metric drill bits for post processing are very handy too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-30-2020 at 05:55 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #1165
Pebble Pounder

I use Onshape (similar to solid works) found it easier to use then Fusion 360. There are a lot of resources for both softwares. Onshape has a good library of tutorial videos on their website for their software. For fusion 360 I think some of the online/YouTube videos are better. There is a YouTuber who’s put together a good set of tutorials for beginners but I don’t remember his name right off hand. I work in Metric/millimeters using digital calipers and a scale/ruler. Onshape is free if you do not mind you files being public. I use Fusion with my teacher account. Not sure if it has a free version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #1166
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgraber92 View Post
I use Onshape (similar to solid works) found it easier to use then Fusion 360. There are a lot of resources for both softwares. Onshape has a good library of tutorial videos on their website for their software. For fusion 360 I think some of the online/YouTube videos are better. There is a YouTuber who’s put together a good set of tutorials for beginners but I don’t remember his name right off hand. I work in Metric/millimeters using digital calipers and a scale/ruler. Onshape is free if you do not mind you files being public. I use Fusion with my teacher account. Not sure if it has a free version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lars Christianson..... works for Fusion and understands the product well. I watched his first three and picked it up quickly, as the workflow is similar to Photoshopping. Only thing from Lars is his pronunciation of “Origin ”

Always sounds like Organ.....
And yes Fusion is free for non commercial use( hobbyist) and updates frequently if needed for bugs.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:29 PM   #1167
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Lars Christianson..... works for Fusion and understands the product well. I watched his first three and picked it up quickly, as the workflow is similar to Photoshopping. Only thing from Lars is his pronunciation of “Origin ”

Always sounds like Organ.....
And yes Fusion is free for non commercial use( hobbyist) and updates frequently if needed for bugs.

Hang up and Drive
+1

His tutorials had me designing stuff very quickly.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #1168
Rock Stacker

What print qualities do people use? I am new and have been printing mostly around 0.2.mm layer height for structural parts that I don't care about. Does it matter if I go finer if it's not cosmetic?
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #1169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbronco21 View Post
What print qualities do people use? I am new and have been printing mostly around 0.2.mm layer height for structural parts that I don't care about. Does it matter if I go finer if it's not cosmetic?

I'm a bit lazy and I've just stuck to the default .15 layer height.

CNC kitchen does some pretty in depth testing if you want to go for more strength. I was looking for one of his videos to link but I'll just link his playlist for strength testing. A few things he's found that stick out are bigger nozzles and increased extrusion widths adding to the overall strength though some of his tests dont always apply to RC. For example PLA usually does really well often being the strongest but I'm never going to use it for RC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nhc...KrNu_BsMVB7e1V

That said printing using 100% infill (for more surface area between the layers) and so far its been strong enough for me, though you still need to design things to be beefy enough for their purpose. If you do want to use less than 100% infill just increasing the number of perimeters up's the strength as well keeping threaded holes from being fragile.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #1170
RCC Addict

I see both an Ender 3 V2 and Ender 3 Pro listed on the Creality web site and also on Amazon. The Ender 3 V2 is more $ than the Ender 3 Pro. Does anyone know what the difference is between these two? Do both have a mini USB port?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #1171
Pebble Pounder

I can't speak for the V2 but the pro has a micro USB port on it. I have the pro and am very happy with it.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #1172
Rock Crawler

How are the ender units to set up and get running? I am wanting to print a bunch of stuff from knight customs for the 10.3 JL body and vs4-10. Where do I start?!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #1173
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
How are the ender units to set up and get running? I am wanting to print a bunch of stuff from knight customs for the 10.3 JL body and vs4-10. Where do I start?!

Lou
I picked up an Ender 3 V2 for my build and I love it so far. Super easy to setup and get going if you have any experience with this type of equipment. After the assembly, it was pretty much plug and play.

I use Fusion 360 for my model work/STL creation and Cura for my CAM/slicer. There is some solid info online to assist with recommended slicer settings and such.

Overall I've been very pleased with my home-office 3D printer experience.

Link to my 3d printer based 1:24 build:

SCX 24 - Layer by Layer
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #1174
Rock Crawler

I ended up buying a Qidi X-pro off FB marketplace. It had a cracked touchscreen (which Qidi is replacing for me) and I got it for a great deal. As soon as its up and running, I'm going to give it a go. Those wheels look nice! I have a scx24 as well and I'm going to attempt the U4 chassis from thingiverse...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #1175
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I ended up buying a Qidi X-pro off FB marketplace. It had a cracked touchscreen (which Qidi is replacing for me) and I got it for a great deal. As soon as its up and running, I'm going to give it a go. Those wheels look nice! I have a scx24 as well and I'm going to attempt the U4 chassis from thingiverse...

Lou
Nice! The wheels aren't perfect by any means, but they're perfectly functional. I hope to increase print quality as I work my way through the build.

I saw the U4 chassis as well. I don't plan to print that exact one, but I'll be experimenting with chassis printing in general. I'll likely start with a cage replacement for my existing body, but I could see it evolving to a full chassis eventually.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #1176
Rock Crawler

I picked up a RC Forklift and it came with 2 wooden pallets. Well I wanted to print a bunch with my Prusa. So I made this on Tinkercad. Also printed some 55gal barrels.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #1177
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
I picked up a RC Forklift and it came with 2 wooden pallets. Well I wanted to print a bunch with my Prusa. So I made this on Tinkercad. Also printed some 55gal barrels.

Which Prusa do you have? I've been debating (a little bit with the wife, but mostly with myself) getting a 3D printer, and have my choices narrowed down to a few (inexpensive) models, of which the Prusa Mini, Monprice Voxel, & Creality Ender V2, are my (current) top three choices.

Truthfully, I'd prefer something larger (ie. variable of creating larger objects), such as the Prusa i3 MK3S, but I don't have the room, plus it's way out of my price-range.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #1178
Rock Crawler

I have the Prusa Mk3s. I can tell you most of the stuff I print I could do it with the mini. Also, if your considering the Prusa, there tech support is very good. There chat feature works great for any issues or questions you might have and I had a lot of basic how to questions. Overall I am very pleased with my printer.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #1179
Quarry Creeper

And where does one pick up such a forklift?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #1180
Rock Crawler

I bought it from a Lesu dealer on Facebook. The guy was great to deal with. Super fast shipping from Hong Kong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM