Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Non R/C cleaners for R/C use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Non R/C cleaners for R/C use?

Are there any cleaner/degreaser products that I can use on my R/C stuff without causing issues with the plastics?

I’d rather find something local that is easy to get vs ordering R/C cleaners on line and not having it when I need it.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #2

Default Re: Non R/C cleaners for R/C use?

I use Mean Green which is the dollar store version of Simple Green. There's a big debate about it being safe for plastics and I've never read into it enough to know the scientific answer. I just know it works for me and has never caused an issue.

I had a thought. I know some use Maxima SC1 to renew the look of their RC plastics. It's made for motorcycle and ATV plastics. You could try that. But I know this Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish stuff works like a charm on motorcycle plastics. And it smells good to. I'd guess it would also work awesome on RC's, but I've never tried it.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/p...leaner-polish/

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 07-10-2020 at 12:00 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I use Foaming Cristal Simple Green. Available from several sources, including Amazon...but, Home Depot topically carries it for the lowest price.
According to the manufacturer, it should not be used on leather, suede, opals, or pearls. There's NOTHING about it not being safe to use on plastic.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 07-10-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Simple green or whichever BIODEGRADABLE variant thereof should be perfect. But dilute it.

Heres why i would also recommend it:
I work in the av industry and we use fastfold projections screens where the surfaces are very thick and durable heavily plasticized vinyl. The only detergent ever recommended by a manufacturer was simple green. Diluted 1:10 or milder with water. Very mild. On the rear projection surfaces especially you can see the damage that wrong detergents cause. It washes the plasticizer out of the vinyl and you end up with shiny, oily looking spots. One wash with full strength simple green does the same. The surface also ends up shrinking more rapidly and it goes hard.

I use it diluted for tough cleaning only. For general plastic and rubber washing just dishwashing detergent.

Be careful. Overuse of simple green is bad for plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Bio-degradable 'Simple Green' cleans and softens tires as a added bonus...

I've never had a plastic problem with SG in fact I've used it for stripping model paint off polystyrene.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 07-10-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys, I’m mainly looking to clean up my Brushed E-Revo, it’s been sitting since last summer in this condition and I want to start revitalizing it sometime this summer. I have most of what I need other than a Handful of pieces, the cleaner, and the funds to immediately drop in what I want to finish it up........which will include a VXL-6s system swap after driving my friend’s 2.0 on the 4th.

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I love me some old school Simple Green. I buy it by the gallon concentrate. Ive never seen the foaming version.

Do any of u hose off your rigs? I never did back in the day but seem to get the impression some people do niw that most electronics are waterproof. Id worry about rusting screws etc... What’s the scoop?
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Dish soap and hot water is all I've ever needed.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick View Post
Do any of u hose off your rigs? I never did back in the day but seem to get the impression some people do niw that most electronics are waterproof. Id worry about rusting screws etc... What’s the scoop?
When I hose mine off I, I use compressed air (at low pressure~30-60psi) to dry the screw heads.

Or I've hit them with WD40 on a Qtip a couple times but that a bit tedious..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I forgot who posted it on the gram, but someone used some type of foaming degreaser from Home Depot. Spray on, and watch it just drip off clean. Electronics safe too apparently. It wasn't simple green, but if I remember the name of it, I'll post it here.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
Simple green or whichever BIODEGRADABLE variant thereof should be perfect. But dilute it.

Heres why i would also recommend it:
I work in the av industry and we use fastfold projections screens where the surfaces are very thick and durable heavily plasticized vinyl. The only detergent ever recommended by a manufacturer was simple green. Diluted 1:10 or milder with water. Very mild. On the rear projection surfaces especially you can see the damage that wrong detergents cause. It washes the plasticizer out of the vinyl and you end up with shiny, oily looking spots. One wash with full strength simple green does the same. The surface also ends up shrinking more rapidly and it goes hard.

I use it diluted for tough cleaning only. For general plastic and rubber washing just dishwashing detergent.

Be careful. Overuse of simple green is bad for plastics.
Simple Green claims to be safe for plastics. I am not sure why the manufacturer would recommend Simple Green if it could potentially damage the screens. That's contradictory. I know you gave the caveat that it needs to be diluted, but still doesn't make sense to me. That's putting a lot of faith in the end user to actually follow directions.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

One trick I picked up when I used to take turds to car shows was mop and glow. It will make inner fender liners and mudflaps shine like new. Also makes keeping them clean a breeze, dirt/mud just washed right off.
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've used Maxima SC1 on my RC stuff and it really shines up the plastic. I use a small 1" paint brush to get it into the cracks and carnnies. I have never seen any indication of it hurting the plastic. It also seems to help with dirt not sticking. I'm going to give Bike Spirits a try as it's about 1/2 the price of SC1
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Simple green, or another degreaser and silicone spray to give it that brand new shine.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Simple Green claims to be safe for plastics. I am not sure why the manufacturer would recommend Simple Green if it could potentially damage the screens. That's contradictory. I know you gave the caveat that it needs to be diluted, but still doesn't make sense to me. That's putting a lot of faith in the end user to actually follow directions.

Da-Lite’s firs recommendation is just lukewarm water. But that doesn’t remove the dirty fingerprints left by strike crews.

It is a very unique plastic/vinyl though. But still. You can see that the plasticizer has been washed out of it on the rear surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

For my dirtbike and ATV nothing works better and is cheaper than Shout diluted in water.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have used windex and works great- to degrease- some dawn and hot water in a spray bottle and a small toofbrush
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Simple green to clean, silicone spray, wd40 plastics brake/carb cleaner for bearings.

Last edited by Gula; 11-13-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote

Non R/C cleaners for R/C use? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultrasonic cleaners? whitrzac Tools, and Procedures 0 07-04-2018 07:35 PM
taken to the cleaners nightman Electronics 3 04-07-2012 05:01 PM