Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Bookbag on the trail?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bookbag on the trail?

I carry a cheapo small hiking bag (Teton sports) with a 2L water bladder, a few batteries, basic tools, and a few spare parts like axle shafts, pinion gears, spur gears, slipper pads, body clips, etc. Most of the time I clip a spare rig onto it as well.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I feel like an amateur in comparison to most of you!!!
Batteries
Toolkit
Water
Try not to forget my son....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

haha me too!

hex bit set
4 way wheel wrench
spare knuckles and chubs for the yeti (i have about 50% destruction rate lol)
spare 2200 Mah 3s soft pack
basic first aid kit and rattle snake bite kit (things are everywhere in mission trails san diego this year)
my trusty booney hat i was issued when i went to Africa
sun block
OFF! (used to have some deet clothing treatment but expired)
k-bar pocket knife
and i recently found my camelback i got with my booney hat. needs a new bladder though. hasn't been used since 2008. gross.
bottled water until i get the camelback bladder replaced.

annnnd my son lol

i cant believe i don't see more people carrying rattle snake bite kits. nobody encounters rattlers on a crawl/trail? i haven't but if/when i do, i will to be ready. especially with my kid.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I have a backpack with a second truck hanging on it because I get bored running the same one for an hour or 2 or if one breaks and I can’t repair it on the trail I have a backup since I drive 2.5 hrs one way to crawl some areas. I also have:
batteries
tools
Food and water
some spare parts like nuts/bolts/link ends/cvd pins/etc. Stuff that commonly causes an issue on the trail
Phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I wear a North Face jester day pack. Usually carry:

Spare parts
Spare tires
Spare batteries
Zip ties
Tape
Glue
Assorted screws, nuts, bolts
3L Water in a CamelBak bladder
Food
Knife
Light
Flint n steel

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #26

New to the sport so we don't have all the spare parts most do, but I am almost always armed with a Glock.

In the bag I have batteries and a small handful of tools
Jacobdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #27

The only legitimately useful thing I'm seeing on this list is BEER.

It can substitute for both food and water. Plus, if your rig breaks you've still got entertainment. Not to mention that its a good excuse to not go home early ("Yeah honey, I'd love to come home and watch that romantic comedy movie with you but I've had a few beers and probably shouldn't drive yet.").
DangerousDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I didn't think it'd fit, but my Ascender K10 fits just barely in my old cheap Adidas backpack, along with the transmitter and a big water bottle.

My smokes and pocket knife are in my pockets, as per usual. (Kids, just say "No" to starting smoking!)

Now, my Bomber is gonna be too big - so I am looking at ArcEnCiel backpacks on Amazon - hoping this one is big enough, but they make bigger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9ZWH2H...AIM85QBA&psc=1

I'll probably strap the K10 to the outside (and it's transmitter) and carry my tiny 7" Windows 10 tablet in an external pocket for programming through Castle Link.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

We too often strap a broken down car to the backpack, more convenient than carrying it in the hand for a longer distance.

Both on my backpack and my friends we can use some of the straps on the outside to wrap around the wheels on a axle and suspend it that way.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I've found that the smaller the better. When I started I would pack way too much crap and after a few hours on the trail my back would really be feeling the weight. So I started cutting back and am now happy with the basics. I use a small camelback pack. It has of course the 2L water pouch and only 2 pockets. The top pocket is the smallest. The bottom is bigger but not really big. Here's the list.

Top pocket
1. Leatherman tool
2. Small he driver 1.5mm,2mm, 3mm
3. Cross wrench
4. Lipo checker
Bottom pocket.
1. Small case with spare hardware and parts.(drive shafts, link ends, small things.)
2. Extra batteries usually 3 or 4 small 2200mah 3s.

That's it. I keep it light and it keeps my back happy all day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Bringing this thread back from the dead. What bags are you guys all using out on the trail? I've been using a free backpack from work that is for carrying laptops etc, but it's really too big.

I'm starting to look around for smaller and lighter backpacks, but not really sure what size to go with. I see 10L, 20L, 25L tactical bags that look like they'd work. I'd probably like to keep it smaller than 25L...20L even.

I do want something that won't just fall apart after a short period of use though.

I mostly just need to carry some extra tools, gopros + small tripods, batteries, water, not much else.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
What bags are you guys all using out on the trail?
I've been using a cheap, but rugged backpack I bought at Wal-Mart a few years ago. It has the Molle webbing on the outside to attach different types of accessories.

I'll throw up some pics when I get home today.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Man, completely missed your post.

I'm still trying to decide what size is good. I want small, but not too small where I can't put my radio in the bag, or a tumbler.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:06 PM   #34

I use a Yukon sling backpack. I love and hate it all at the same time. The one, angled strap, AKA sling, allows you to pull the back around to your front and access it without removing it from your body. Very handy. But if you pack heavy it will feel like you're fighting an uneven load the entire day.

https://yukon-outfitters.com/collect...ion-bags-packs
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I use a Yukon sling backpack. I love and hate it all at the same time. The one, angled strap, AKA sling, allows you to pull the back around to your front and access it without removing it from your body. Very handy. But if you pack heavy it will feel like you're fighting an uneven load the entire day.

https://yukon-outfitters.com/collect...ion-bags-packs
Yeah, I used to have a sling bag when I used to have a DSLR. It doesn't feel comfortable even when it has an extra buckle strap to even the load.

Come to think of it... maybe I should be looking at Camera backpacks to see if any of those would fit the bill.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #36
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Man, completely missed your post.

I'm still trying to decide what size is good. I want small, but not too small where I can't put my radio in the bag, or a tumbler.
This is the backpack I bought at Wal-Mart. It is comfortable and is big enough to hold my trail tools, batteries, transmitter and other odds and ends that my be needed. The material is durable and has survived many trail runs without any rips or tears.

Name:  IMG_4774.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  179.1 KB

I picked up these at a flea market I stopped at this past summer. The one on the left is a fanny pack (tactical hip bag!) and the one on the right is a small one strap sling type bag. These both are small but hold quite a bit. I haven't had a chance to try these out yet.

Name:  IMG_4775.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  177.9 KB
Old 01-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

@B-MOW71 that first bag looks to be around the 25L size? I'm actually looking for something between 15-20L I think. But in the tactical style like the one you posted.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
@B-MOW71 that first bag looks to be around the 25L size? I'm actually looking for something between 15-20L I think. But in the tactical style like the one you posted.
The first bag (green w/Molle) is 29.4L. I honestly didn't even know the size until I found a tag inside. It is setup for hydration and has lashings for trekking poles. For me it the perfect size. I like to take a lot of crap with me cause I'm usually a long ways away from my 1:1 when I'm out trailing and don't feel like making the long walk back cause I didn't have room for something.

I'll keep my eye out for something smaller.

Bookbag on the trail? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPP Hobby - RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR - Scale Trail Run RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 09-08-2017 10:43 AM
RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Hawaii Beach-Rock-Trail Run CAV-G Scale Videos! 0 11-17-2014 11:38 AM
Trail pics from todays jeep trail run 56k warning theholybull Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 9 10-02-2013 06:44 AM
RC trail video - Log + Mud + Water Trail at Chestnut Ave [Singapore] boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 04-12-2011 09:35 PM