Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Small Tools Tool Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #1

Default Small Tools Tool Kit

Are there any "kits" for assembly/maintenance tools? Seeing everything is so small might be hard to find everything a piece at a time
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Small Tools Tool Kit

You don't need many tools to have a complete assembly kit. Some good regular and Phillips screwdrivers, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, and 3.0mm Allen/hex drivers and 5mm to 8mm sockets or nut drivers.

I was going to link you to the MIP driver set on Tower and it's MIA. MIP is just gone from Tower completely. The Duratrax are just as good: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAK6&P=7

I have the Duratrax nut driver set, but I can't find those either. Something is going on with HobbiCo.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In addition to the wrenches mentioned, a 5.5mm open ended wrench has been the best addition to my tool set. On most of my trucks, it seems 75% of the 3mm nuts are in a location that you can't access with a nut driver. I use the open ended wrench way more than I use an actual nut driver.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-5-...IaAhUKEALw_wcB
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I bought the Dynamite Startup Tool Set

Dynamite Startup Tool Set: ECX/VTR/HPI
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Y

I was going to link you to the MIP driver set on Tower and it's MIA. MIP is just gone from Tower completely. The Duratrax are just as good: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAK6&P=7
I've used Tower since the 80s but have been out of the hobby for 15+ years. In buying my kit and looking for parts to finish it I noticed they don't carry a lot of stuff that's out there??
skyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post

One word of caution. I don't think those tool tips are hardened so they will wear quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjockey View Post
I've used Tower since the 80s but have been out of the hobby for 15+ years. In buying my kit and looking for parts to finish it I noticed they don't carry a lot of stuff that's out there??
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post

I bought one of these kits just to carry in my backpack when crawling. For that purpose it is OK, but I definitely would not use that as my primary kit. I have stripped a few screws out because of the sloppy fit and soft tips. I quit carrying it and now carry one of the Team Associated drivers that has all the tips inside the handle. That tool is extremely handy because it has standard and SAE tips.

Spend a little more and get a good set of hex wrenches. They will last forever and the time and frustration that you save by not constantly stripping screws is worth it. MIP tools are top notch. The higher end (more expensive) Duratrax tools are good. I regularly use a set of the red aluminum handled Dynamite drivers and they are good, but I prefer the MIPs.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #8
RCC Addict

5.5mm combination wrench. Small long nose pliers. Pointed tool like a scriber for helping line up holes. Plus the stuff in posts above.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #9

I bought that Dynamite Startup Tool set to build my first kit, an SCX10.2. It’s just fine but the drivers are clearly going to wear out pretty quickly. Have been slowly adding MIP for the most frequently used tools and WOW they are a whole different animal: really good stuff. Manufacturing wise it’s like the difference between a Wal-Mart laptop and a MacBook Pro.
jdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I was so happy about my LOSI 4 in 1 kit, so after 10 years and a couple of them finally broke ( misuse ) then i just had to get another set.
Couldn't find LOSI so went with another brand but similar product it would seem.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax...products/28766

And then to be on the safe side i got 4 individual metric hex drivers from EDS but with a 120 mm long tip, cuz even with the little cars some times you need a little extra reach.

The 4 in 1 fastrax kit are in my spare parts assortment in my backpack, along with a T key for nuts and a little long nosed pliers, and other bits and bops for on the trail repairs.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #11

I am getting ready to order some more MIP drivers after a few cheap hex drivers died during my SCX build. Maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason to stock up on standard (SAE) nut drivers/hex wrenches, or do all crawlers use metric sizes exclusively? (I notice one of the posts above mentions SAE).

Last edited by ScottDFW; 01-06-2018 at 03:52 PM.
ScottDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

MOST only use Metric. Losi uses SAE so if you buy a Nightcrawler you'll need them. Also for some reason Vanquish uses SAE for their wheels.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Small Tools Tool Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My RC tool kit. Pete9 Tools, and Procedures 11 02-26-2017 03:05 PM
Which tools required to assemble kit? jeffncs Tools, and Procedures 6 12-29-2013 09:18 PM
what tools are needed to build the kit Empire932 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 07-21-2009 12:01 PM