Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: What hex drivers you using?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 AM   #181
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What hex drivers you using?

I just ordered above Arrowmax Philips and flat driver bits and above Traxxas driver bit set. So now I will have every option available for my DeWalt and be able to build even faster.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #182
Pebble Pounder

I recently ordered a bunch of the Protek hex drivers (and nut drivers) along with a Dewalt gyro screwdriver to use with my Team Associated hex bits.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #183
Rock Crawler

Default What hex drivers you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I recently ordered a bunch of the Protek hex drivers (and nut drivers) along with a Dewalt gyro screwdriver to use with my Team Associated hex bits.

I found the rotating end cap on the ProTeks very lacking.

So what I did was run a bead of oil between the end cap and handle. Then I rotated the end cap. You could instantly feel it smooth out and require less resistance to turn.

While not as good as my Vanquish drivers it made a huge improvement.

So if your end caps are rough turning , give that a try.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #184
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post

So what I did was run a bead of oil between the end cap and handle. Then I rotated the end cap. You could instantly feel it smooth out and require less resistance to turn.

Thanks, yeah the end cap turning was the one thing I was slightly disappointed in when I got them in. I may end up just not using the end caps. Other than that they're extremely nice.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #185

I have the MIP set and MIP speed tips for my MIlwaukee driver. Ball ends? Only use when nothing else will work. For sockets I use a Craftsmen 1/4 drive metric set with a handle or 1/4' speed tip adapter for my M12.

Last edited by Richr8; 05-23-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

I dont like screwdriver type handles. Ive tried Wiha, bondhus, and a few others. Most have failed rather sooner than id hoped for. Some point after i got a set of 6" blank hex keys in 2.5, 2, 1.5mm and just drilled a hole into a 3/8%%c 1" long piece 9f steel and brazed it to look like a smaller t-handle wrench. Tip wears out, take it to the grinder for a second and youre off to a fresh start. I do want to get a set for my small power driver
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #187

I have a mix of tool brands... Associated hex drivers, HUDY hex drivers, Arrowmax reamers and hex drivers and some WIHA 1/4" extended bits for my powered driver. So far the HUDY and WIHA tools have been the best fit and quality.
FloridaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
This is the exact reason why I went with a different brand. I wanted replaceable tips. My 1.5 and 2.0 mm MIP driver tips got a little worn over the course of five years. Developed a little slop inside of the screw hex.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Ive heard many people say that they've had mip tools for 10, 20 years with next to new tips. So , im surprised to hear you say 5 years
Gamer707b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #189
Pebble Pounder

I've been using a set of MIP/Thorp clear orange handled drivers for probably 15yrs. The machined hex tips are just as sharp now as they were when I got them. They honestly show no signs of ever being used except for scratches and dings in the handles.
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post

I ended up buying the Protek drivers because they looked great and the rotating handles were a bonus. But I also had problems with gritty end caps that didn't want to spin freely. It's such a shame because they are otherwise well made. I think I am going to try some dry lube and see if that works.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #191
RCC Addict

I have used a few different driver sets over the years and I am finally happy with my current setup. At my bench I have MIP 1/4 drive bits for my Milwaukee M12 driver and metric MIP drivers (+ a 2mm ball end). And for trail use, I have one of the Team Associated drivers where all the bits fit inside the handle.

Other sets I have used:

Bought one of the cheapo Dynamite sets in the nylon case to use on the trail, but it was terrible and rounded off pretty quickly, destroying several screws.

Old Team Losi drivers were excellent, but I broke a tip and could not find a replacement from Losi.

Red aluminum handle Dynamite drivers are actually pretty good. Lasted me a few years of pretty heavy use before the tips started rounding off. I still use them in situations where a long handle is needed.

Kobalt were a fairly sloppy fit from the start and did not last long.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #192
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I ended up buying the Protek drivers because they looked great and the rotating handles were a bonus. But I also had problems with gritty end caps that didn't want to spin freely. It's such a shame because they are otherwise well made. I think I am going to try some dry lube and see if that works.

I agree. They look awesome and feel good in the hand. I only have their nut drivers.

My buddy has everything ProTek. I told him about the lube trick and it worked for him.

Can’t hurt to try.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #193

As I'm getting back in to RC I purchased the TRX sport kit and the local hobby shop recommended the Dynamite set which I really like and have lasted with no degradation. Also, bought a cheap set of drivers for my battery powdered screw driver.
4sport dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sport dsm View Post
As I'm getting back in to RC I purchased the TRX sport kit and the local hobby shop recommended the Dynamite set which I really like and have lasted with no degradation. Also, bought a cheap set of drivers for my battery powdered screw driver.
Some Dynamite stuff is hardened and the quality is fine. The drives with the black handles and red spinner tops are junk. They aren't hardened so they don't last long as hex drivers. The nut drivers are fine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #195

I am using hudy!!
bluecusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #196
Rock Crawler

MIP, I finally broke down and bought a set.I wonder why I waited so long.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

Replaced my MIPs with Vanquish after 2 tips snapped. The Vanquish are the cat’s ass. Still using my Losi NUT drivers which are awesome!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #198
Rock Crawler

I got this slick setup that says Savox. It stores then bits in the handle. BUT just like their servos they work great at first but then they start to suck.

It won't hold the bits tight anymore and the "lid" that keeps the other bits in is loose, turns and the bits fall out.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #199
Quarry Creeper

I like the feel of my MIP hexes. This vintage style is tried and tested. They hold well, even with greasy hands, they lock the screws every single time, and most importantly they are comfortable even after repeated use. I gradually bought the 1.5, 2 and 2.5mm ones. I would have bought the whole set straight away if I knew.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:29 AM   #200
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I got this slick setup that says Savox. It stores then bits in the handle. BUT just like their servos they work great at first but then they start to suck.

It won't hold the bits tight anymore and the "lid" that keeps the other bits in is loose, turns and the bits fall out.
That is the one with the orange handle and several bits that you can store in the handle?

I have that same one. Only use it to take with me on the trials. Nice and compact. For everyday building I rely on my full MIP set.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote

What hex drivers you using? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hex Drivers? Bananaclip Tools, and Procedures 16 11-06-2008 07:40 PM
I need hex drivers BADNBADN Tools, and Procedures 6 06-20-2005 08:25 PM