Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Must have drill bits and taps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Must have drill bits and taps?

I'm looking to supply my building needs and wondering what the must have sizes are? I know 3mm and 8-32 are top of my list, what others are common in buliding.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Must have drill bits and taps?

It all depends on which hardware you intend to use- SAE or metronic. Besides taps and dies, you'll need tap size drill bits and clearance size drill bits. Download a Starrett drill chart, it has all of the most common sizes for tap/drill operations, or you can use the formula of 70% of major thread pitch = drill size for tapping the hole.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Metric is most ill use. 3mm is the most used since I'm working to get rid of the 2mm hardware on main parts. And 8-32 is for links since I'm making my own.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have 2.5mm for cage supports mainly and for items on my 1/5 motorcycle but rarely use
I wear out at least Four 3mm taps, One die and 2.5mm drill bits a year
I also have 4-6mm for my 1/5 scale stuff

On a rare occasion I will use a 8-32 tap and die.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Numbered drill bit set has been a great RC workshop tool imo. I've got an old steel boxed flip up set goes from #1 to iirc #60, I've replaced some of them a couple times over the years.

Edit: Also have 3mm, 2mm drill and tap sets along with a set of metric tap/dies from Harbor Freight that have been ok, not my go to tool brand/store though lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
RCC Addict

My bro in law has some 3mm taps. One 3mm x .05 and 3mm x.06 which is more common in rc?
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
My bro in law has some 3mm taps. One 3mm x .05 and 3mm x.06 which is more common in rc?
If he is giving them to you take the .05. Never seen a .06 for our stuff.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Ok thanks ill probably just brough it. Not going to be tapping any metal to start with I have a cutting board with my name on it that needs parts made out of it.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You probably know but get the correct type of taps. Ie, through hole, blind hole, etc.
For years I kept using and breaking du-bro hand taps. At $8 each, I dunno how many I bought over the years. Then I got schooled on drill bits and taps by Rob at SMW.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
You probably know but get the correct type of taps. Ie, through hole, blind hole, etc.
For years I kept using and breaking du-bro hand taps. At $8 each, I dunno how many I bought over the years. Then I got schooled on drill bits and taps by Rob at SMW.

I just picked up some du bros taps, if you dont mind elaborating I'm curious to know how i might end up misusing these taps. I plan on taping by hand.

EDIT: I just did some light reading and I think I follow you now https://www.yamawa.com/en/support/tips/pdf/tips-007.pdf

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-12-2018 at 09:07 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I just picked up some du bros taps, if you dont mind elaborating I'm curious to know how i might end up misusing these taps. I plan on taping by hand.

Tapping by hand is for 1947!

Haha, I kid. Buy some machine taps, put em in a drill and hammer down. For a “through hole” hole, below.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

For tapping metal, a good quality cutting and tapping compound is a must IMHO. And, don't let anyone tell you "any old oil will do", well maybe in a pinch. Depending on the material, hand tapping, slow and easy, backing out occasionally, will help prevent breakage.

I tap mostly aluminum and even though you think aluminum is soft enough you needn't worry about the drill or tap getting dull, trust me, they do. Replace when necessary so you don't have to deal with a broken bit or tap in a blind hole. Very aggravating, especially when its the last hole in an hours worth of work.

Yup, 3mm x 0.5 pitch is standard in the RC world as far as I know, and maybe everywhere else as well. Somehow ended up with a 3mm x 0.45 pitch and it drove me crazy for a day. The package was marked 3mm x 0.5 but it wasn't until I checked the tap itself I found out my problem. Took a huge magnifying glass for my old eyes to read the info on the tap itself.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I read this somewhere else from you. Lol.

Most nerve racking tapping I did was the hack 'n tap on my xj transfer case. And knowing if I mess up I would have to replace the transfer case or pull it out and replace the output shaft. Glad I didn't mees up that one.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Another thing I’ll mention is have separate taps for different materials. Ie, I now have taps I only use for plastic tapping and taps I only use for metal tapping.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Makes sense.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The number of flutes on the tap generally dictate what type of metal they will work best in., 2,3 and 4 flute are very common. If you're going to use M3 for the bulk of your holes, just buy a pack of #40 drill bits for the tap hole and .125 (1/8th inch) for the clearance hole.

Tap Magic is a good all purpose tapping/cutting fluid. I use BoeLube "pink" for aluminum and SS.

IMO, the biggest and easiest mistake to make when your start tapping holes is to start the tap crooked. It will quickly bind up and snap off. Good times !

I use a 4 flute "nut" tap to start a few threads then change over to a 2 flute through hole to finish the job.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

Must have drill bits and taps? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good quality drill bits, what kind and where to buy? warren Tools, and Procedures 11 02-11-2014 10:01 PM
mip hex driver or drill driver bits with racheting handle 507Eli Tools, and Procedures 2 12-17-2011 05:07 PM
Hex Drill bits Lemonlegs28 Tools, and Procedures 11 01-03-2011 11:08 PM
metric drill bits? am i missing something? RCMFMaxxMan Tools, and Procedures 10 09-23-2008 10:53 AM
The RIGHT drill bits - Post up!!! HannibalLecter Tools, and Procedures 1 06-21-2006 08:10 PM