Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #181
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
That looks nice! Do you ever share you designs anywhere?
I'm kinda hesitant these days. I put a few things up on Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory and later saw them for sale elsewhere. There's just way to many shady people out there to make my files public anymore...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
I'm kinda hesitant these days. I put a few things up on Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory and later saw them for sale elsewhere. There's just way to many shady people out there to make my files public anymore...

Exactly why I don't share files. People are scumbags.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #183
RCC Addict

Quote:

Sharing = Giving Away

I actually had someone, who stole my designs, refer his customers to me for support when the parts he printed didn't work right.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Sharing = Giving Away
Sadly, that's what people think. But people are supposed to follow the Creative Commons licenses at the request of the creator. Often, that doesn't happen. And sometimes it's scoundrels from other countries, typically in Asia, that steal the files and sell them as their own and there's not much you can do about that. The only way to protect yourself is to not share your designs at all.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-19-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #185
Rock Crawler

About a year ago we got a 3D printing store here locally and I was pretty excited to able to go buy filament at a storefront. The last time I was in there about 6 months ago, one of the shop's big print suppliers was in there as well, and we got to talking. He basically admitted to stealing designs and selling them (in front of the store owner), saying he only had to change 10% (usually adding or removing a maker's mark) in order for it to be legal. I told him making a minor change doesn't make him not a thief, and haven't been in the store since.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #186
Rock Crawler

Finally got some replacement filament in and got this printed out. Need to paint the rest of the details, and design/print the shelves/dividers for inside the door, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far...

Old 02-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #187
Rock Stacker

That looks great. I need to work on a Dr Pepper one. Good Job
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

Man @jsterrett! I love your work. I'd love to use some of those in my Element scale garage that I'm going to start filling out!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #189
Rock Crawler

Like a RC buddy of mine said: "3D printing it's really a dream for guys like us"

All these wheels:

Plus, the browing M2 .50,mount for the twin gearboxes+motors and the winch + I-beam
cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #190

Quote:
Finally got some replacement filament in and got this printed out. Need to paint the rest of the details, and design/print the shelves/dividers for inside the door, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far...
Very cool! How tall is it?

Also, the nosiness in me wants to know what that tray is in the foreground. It looks like a bunch of circuit boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper_xl View Post
Like a RC buddy of mine said: "3D printing it's really a dream for guys like us"

All these wheels:

Plus, the browing M2 .50,mount for the twin gearboxes+motors and the winch + I-beam
That is very cool!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #191
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Very cool! How tall is it?

Also, the nosiness in me wants to know what that tray is in the foreground. It looks like a bunch of circuit boards.

That is very cool!
About 6.5". I've been designing my scale garage stuff at 1:9 scale, since it seems like most of our truck fall between 1:8 and 1:10

A tray full of laptop RAM that's about to get listed on Ebay, lol. Been selling refurbished laptops and parts on there as a second job for like 8 years now, lol.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #192
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Man @jsterrett! I love your work. I'd love to use some of those in my Element scale garage that I'm going to start filling out!
Thanks! I've been trying to gauge whether there's enough interest in my parts to justify a vendor star. I have a few 3D printed parts and some aluminum stuff.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #193

Quote:
About 6.5". I've been designing my scale garage stuff at 1:9 scale, since it seems like most of our truck fall between 1:8 and 1:10

A tray full of laptop RAM that's about to get listed on Ebay, lol. Been selling refurbished laptops and parts on there as a second job for like 8 years now, lol.

That's a good size.

Cool! Not a bad side gig.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #194
Rock Crawler

Quote:

That is very cool!

Thanks! couldn't have done this without 3d printing

cooper_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #195

Not mine, but these are things 3D printed out of chocolate. Yes, edible chocolate. My employer was chosen to be the vendor to manufacture the sheet metal parts for this chocolate printer and I'm the engineer on the project.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not mine, but these are things 3D printed out of chocolate. Yes, edible chocolate. My employer was chosen to be the vendor to manufacture the sheet metal parts for this chocolate printer and I'm the engineer on the project.
Thats cool, RCLifeOn would be interested in this I imagine, he tried to print chocolate a while back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBxuDvS2gs

I just got my first flexible filament and ran a few prints last night. It came out much better than expected using the default settings for TPU/flex on the Prusa MK3s

I made up some new steering wheel covers for a few Spektrum radios. I seem to always push the stock foam back and end up gripping the plastic edge of the wheel instead.

This new cover fits snug and doesn't slide around. I also added a step so the outermost lip of the wheel gets covered too.

This material is TPU from Hyperion. I printed some tests with 10% and 5% infill but the infill really stiffens up the prints. With the wheel covers I used 2 perimeters and no infill so it just printed hollow. That allowed it to flex a ton more as well as feel a bit softer.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-11-2020 at 03:52 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thats cool, RCLifeOn would be interested in this I imagine, he tried to print chocolate a while back:

I just got my first flexible filament and ran a few prints last night. It came out much better than expected using the default settings for TPU/flex on the Prusa MK3s

I made up some new steering wheel covers for a few Spektrum radios. I seem to always push the stock foam back and end up gripping the plastic edge of the wheel instead.

This new cover fits snug and doesn't slide around. I also added a step so the outermost lip of the wheel gets covered too.

This material is TPU from Hyperion. I printed some tests with 10% and 5% infill but the infill really stiffens up the prints. With the wheel covers I used 2 perimeters and no infill so it just printed hollow. That allowed it to flex a ton more as well as feel a bit softer.

Apparently there are other chocolate 3D printers out there. He's been developing it on his own for years and now wants to sell some units to gain interest. He got a grant which has allowed that. Cool to see.

Those wheel grips are great! Never thought to print those, but I haven't printed any flexible filament as of yet.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #198
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Those wheel grips are great! Never thought to print those, but I haven't printed any flexible filament as of yet.
Thanks, since you've got a Prusa now you should see similar results.

I've watched a number of videos going over flexible filaments in the past and the results I got were far better than what I've seen and I've done zero tweaking of the settings. I came into it assuming I'd only be able to do very simple prints but I was able to print the Prusa Treefrog test print with very good quality. The treefrog print isn't as hard as the benchy prints but still not simple.
I've seen some guys use a particular octopus design to test flexible prints.

I think the key with this filament is to not be so flexible that it jams up in the extruder but this also means the prints are a bit stiff. This wont make for sticky tires but maybe a decent drift tire(?)
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #199
Pebble Pounder

Got the Injora Jeep Cherokee truggy body off of Amazon. Not my first choice because I hated how it looked unfinished because it was missing the back of the cab and the bottom of the B pillar. But the son really like it and he wanted to get it for me for my Birthday. The cage is held in with 11.2mm thick plain round spacers. I designed and printed some cage spacers that fill in that gap and match the contour of the cab to give it a more finished look.

Before:

After:

This was version 1. With the spacer 11.2mm thick you can see the rear of the B pillar doesn't line up with the spacer. If I make the spacer thicker there will be a gap between a 2nd set of mounting points between the cab just under the window and the middle of the cage. I'm going to make a new revision that extends the outside surface to match up with the B pillar but keeps the mounting surface at the 11.2mm necessary for the other mounting points to gap correctly.

ETA: would people be interested in learning how to easily copy and reproduce those body contours using free to download software? I've got access to PTC Creo to do hard core 3D modeling but I made this part using MS paint and tinkercad in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 02-18-2020 at 07:50 AM.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #200

What’s a recommended 3D printer that doesn’t break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guahantoyz671 is offline   Reply With Quote

What RC parts have you 3D Printed???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printed Ascender Parts robertjpjr Vaterra Ascender 7 12-27-2017 09:39 PM
3D Printed Parts monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-29-2015 10:20 AM