Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #221

Default Re: What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
I know it looks like a bit much but I use an infrared heatlamp and a ceramic heating element to keep as much heat into ABS as possible. I have another ceramic heater on hand if I need it for the other side. This is all in lieu of building an enclosure. I'm not keen on putting the electronics in a box to heat with part being printed. The hot-end stepper and fans get the worse of it, but these are easy to fix/replace should there be a failure.

I like ABS. It glues easy, sands easy, paints easy, great thermal resistance and durable. It's an f'er to print large parts cleanly. Scuffed Kapton tape and bed adhesion is beautiful.... with the extra heat to control warp
Interesting. I was thinking french fry light and that's what it looks kinda like! Hey if it works then go for it!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 PM   #222
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Interesting. I was thinking french fry light and that's what it looks kinda like! Hey if it works then go for it!
You be surprised on how well the infrared lamp works. It's radiant heat so it adds energy to the part vs a fan heater which will actually wick the heat away through convection. I found the ceramic allows for more localized heat. I wasn't able to print the hood until I added the ceramic heater.
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #223
Quarry Creeper

I need to replenish my PLA. Anyone got any recommended brands they have good luck with?
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #224
I wanna be Dave

I printed some lockouts for an axle in PETG and was unable to break it, stronger than ABS, or PLA and near zero stringing
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #225
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I printed some lockouts for an axle in PETG and was unable to break it, stronger than ABS, or PLA and near zero stringing

What printer are you running?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #226
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
I need to replenish my PLA. Anyone got any recommended brands they have good luck with?

I haven't experimented with every brand out there but I've tried lots and by and far the PLA+ from Esun has been the best that I've ever used.

Well spooled, easy to print with, good layer adhesion, good finish, no blobbing or stringing. It's the only PLA I'll buy now (but I don't use much PLA, I've switched almost everything over to PETG now).

It's not the cheapest PLA I've used but the cost increase is easily offset by the improved quality and lack of print failures.

eSUN 3D Printing Materials
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #227
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I haven't experimented with every brand out there but I've tried lots and by and far the PLA+ from Esun has been the best that I've ever used.

Well spooled, easy to print with, good layer adhesion, good finish, no blobbing or stringing. It's the only PLA I'll buy now (but I don't use much PLA, I've switched almost everything over to PETG now).

It's not the cheapest PLA I've used but the cost increase is easily offset by the improved quality and lack of print failures.

eSUN 3D Printing Materials
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at eSun on Amazon but, it cannot be shipped to California apparently. I'm thinking about picking up some PETG to try.

Last edited by Sniper4370; 03-28-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

I've been using Push Plastic PETG because Amian has it and it can ship free with my big RC orders. Anyway I've been pleased with the prints, I too haven't tried tons of brands either.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #229

Default What RC parts have you 3D Printed????

I like Hatchbox brand filament the best. For functional RC parts, PETG is what I use. I haven't ventured into nylon or carbon infused filament yet. PLA is too brittle for parts that need strength. PLA is fine for scale accessories though. I haven't found a second brand of filament that I like as much as Hatchbox.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #230
I wanna be Dave

I just did a little test of a SSD badge. I'm working on a plug for the trail king motor cover, something to plug the motor wire hole. I thought making it match the intake contour wasn't gonna happen so why not put a badge on it.
It printed in 2 pieces.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #231
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've been using Push Plastic PETG because Amian has it and it can ship free with my big RC orders. Anyway I've been pleased with the prints, I too haven't tried tons of brands either.
Quote:
I like Hatchbox brand filament the best. For functional RC parts, PETG is what I use. I haven't ventured into nylon or carbon infused filament yet. PLA is too brittle for parts that need strength. PLA is fine for scale accessories though. I haven't found a second brand of filament that I like as much as Hatchbox.

I've only tried Inland PLA+ so far as that's what they have at Micro Center where I bought my printer. I have ordered a couple of rolls of Matterhackers to continue playing with. Hatchbox seems highly regarded but, I have read of inconsistency in their rolls. PETG is next on my list of filament to try.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #232
I wanna be Dave

I finished up the wire pass through cover for the Trail king.

I did a wash to give it a tiny bit of grime

Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I finished up the wire pass through cover for the Trail king.
That's really cool!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #234

Axial borrowed some features from the TRX-4 and one of those is the spots for the rock lights on the inner fenders. I don't use those and Axial failed to include blockoff plates so I made my own. If you try them out, please let me know if there are any issues, if you like them, or if you have any other feedback. Each requires two M2.5x6mm flat head screws.

They will sit flatter against the inner fender than what is showing in the photo if you do a better job of removing supports. I'm kinda struggling with the supports in PrusaSlicer. They sometimes don't sometimes don't come off of the part cleanly.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4249467

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-29-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #235
Rock Crawler

If you get rid of the part that fits into the hole, you can print it flat without supports. Either that, or do away with the studs that you are screwing into and just use nuts. Just a thought.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:39 PM   #236
Quarry Creeper

Jato,
Are you printing on a "raft" or, is the a protrusion for the part to sit into the fender? Hard to tell.

*Edit* Actually, I downloaded the file and looked at it. Maybe flip it over and print the posts down and use supports there. Then the other side might print better. I'm gonna try one and see how it turns out.

Last edited by Sniper4370; 03-31-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #237
Quarry Creeper

Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
If you get rid of the part that fits into the hole, you can print it flat without supports. Either that, or do away with the studs that you are screwing into and just use nuts. Just a thought.
I thought about it, but I like the part that fits in the hole for a little more "sealing" and I didn't want to be bothered with nuts, but that would make the part much easier to print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Jato,
Are you printing on a "raft" or, is the a protrusion for the part to sit into the fender? Hard to tell.

*Edit* Actually, I downloaded the file and looked at it. Maybe flip it over and print the posts down and use supports there. Then the other side might print better. I'm gonna try one and see how it turns out.
I was printing with the screw standoffs pointing up and the locating rectangle pointing down. I wanted the top surface to be the nice looking surface. Printing it the way you did makes it fit nice for sure.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #239
RCC Addict

I have not yet entered the 3D print arena. But given the current situation I'm looking at things to do while at home. To that end, I'm looking at the Creality CR-10 V2 or the Ender 3 Pro. Just not sure which is a better first printer and/or if the quality of one is better than the other. I'm leaning toward the CR-10 V2 but just not sure.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #240
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I thought about it, but I like the part that fits in the hole for a little more "sealing" and I didn't want to be bothered with nuts, but that would make the part much easier to print.

I was printing with the screw standoffs pointing up and the locating rectangle pointing down. I wanted the top surface to be the nice looking surface. Printing it the way you did makes it fit nice for sure.
I can see that being the case. I will post a pic of the top side in a bit. Maybe you can lower the percentage of (infill for lack of a better term) in the slicer for the supports to get it to release better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I have not yet entered the 3D print arena. But given the current situation I'm looking at things to do while at home. To that end, I'm looking at the Creality CR-10 V2 or the Ender 3 Pro. Just not sure which is a better first printer and/or if the quality of one is better than the other. I'm leaning toward the CR-10 V2 but just not sure.
My buddy just went through this last night. He was deciding between the Ender 3 Pro, 5 Pro and CR-10. He ended up going the 5 Pro. I think for the price it was the better option. At least between the 5 and 10. I myself have a 3 Pro with some light mods. My .02, I am far from a pro at anything 3d related. Only had my printer for a month or so now.

What RC parts have you 3D Printed???? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printed Ascender Parts robertjpjr Vaterra Ascender 7 12-27-2017 09:39 PM
3D Printed Parts monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-29-2015 10:20 AM