Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Project: Portable hex driver with good tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Lightbulb Project: Portable hex driver with good tips

I've come to absolutely love my MIP tools but have found that I never want to take them out on the trail since they're so good, and I've noticed others doing the same.

I was planning a little project on my mini wood lathe and as I've been thinking it through I may have stumbled on something a bit more useful than I originally thought.

The original plan was to turn a wood handle for each tip but as I searched for 1/4" chucks I found that the only reasonably sized one would be just a simple 1/4" bit holder (magnetic)

I was originally looking for a collet style chuck but I think the simple bit holder will work fine and be much less expensive, and it lead me to my other idea to make just one single handle and use MIP's speed tips. This way you'll have less to pack around and if you're like me and have the hand tools and the speed tips then you're all set and all that needed is a handle.

The first one I have planned will use some Desert Ironwood which isn't exactly the lightest wood but it sure is pretty.

If anybody has feedback on handle length or shape let me know, those are aspects I haven't fully fleshed out. But I was thinking that the size of the MIP 2.0mm and 2.5mm drivers feel pretty good.

I'll probably make a half dozen of these to start, they should make good gifts.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project: Portable hex driver with good tips

So I took a time lapse while I turned the first handle just for kicks

https://youtu.be/FaZLzX9VdMg

I ended up making the handle a bit fatter than the MIP handles, sometimes the piece of wood guides what shape and size it will be. Its hard to widdle such a nice looking piece down to a tiny handle just because of the amount of waste.
I still need to seal and finish it but its already got a nice polished look to it. I'll probably seal with Shellac and top coat with Polyurethane.

I need to come up with some sort of tote to put the tips in to keep them from gouging the handle when packed around.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The figure of that ironwood is so pretty! Handle shape looks nice...I dislike the straight handled versions and the skinny German ones are irritating to use. Too bad you couldn't have incorporated a swivel end (would be tough), but I don't expect you intend on assembling entire chassis with these either.

Think you could mill the handle hollow for tip storage, maybe insert a tube to protect the wood, and use a plug to close?

Last edited by 2mtech; 06-08-2018 at 10:29 AM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
The figure of that ironwood is so pretty! Handle shape looks nice...I dislike the straight handled versions and the skinny German ones are irritating to use. Too bad you couldn't have incorporated a swivel end (would be tough), but I don't expect you intend on assembling entire chassis with these either.

Think you could mill the handle hollow for tip storage, maybe insert a tube to protect the wood, and use a plug to close?

Yeah I've fallen I love with this wood, I've made a few shift knobs out of it as well.

I suppose you could just insert a swivel attachment so long as it fits the common 1/4" bit holder. I didn't intend to do much assembly with this just trail repair mostly. I did realize after I held it in my hand that its size will make it hard to use for everything.

I did think about finding a way of storing the bits in the handle but I couldn't bring myself to do it to that particular piece of wood. I also thought back to all of the tools I've had that store bits in the handle and they always seem to break or lose something and I figured doing it properly might be too ambitious.

Although now that I think about it I always pack around a tool case like this one

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...yn2834/p183035
Only I take most of the bits out so I can just use the slots there but I suppose not everyone will have the same setup.

I put a few coats of shellac on this morning, and now I need to decide on gloss or semi gloss. I almost always prefer semi gloss but this Desert Ironwood just looks so amazing it kind of begs for a gloss finish. The shellac has left it pretty glossy.

I have a bunch more tuning blanks on the ready, I just need to decide on what kind to do next. I tend to go for wild exotic wood because in all my years working with cabinets its always been common domestic woods (Cherry, Maple, Oak, Hickory and Alder) and I'm pretty curious to see what else is out there.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-08-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Black walnut and Tennessee red cedar were always my favorite woods to work with.

You sure have a nice selection of blanks there! Almost makes me want to fire up the Shopsmith and make something just for the aroma.

Fine looking tool, anyway.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Beautiful work with the handle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Looks fantastic. I agree on keeping near the mip handle diameter or a little larger.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Son of a female dog, is that purdy.
I like black walnut, another purdy wood, strong/hard...
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

That looks awesome!!! If you really wanted to keep it compact, take a cue from this wrench for spare bit storage placement:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...a99130/p206639

I only typically use the 3 most popular bits, 1.5,2.0,2.5 and a wheel nut tool 7.0mm nut driver. You could likely make a plug with o-ring to hold it all together, and keep the bits in the handle like previously suggested. When can I order?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
That looks awesome!!! If you really wanted to keep it compact, take a cue from this wrench for spare bit storage placement:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...a99130/p206639

I only typically use the 3 most popular bits, 1.5,2.0,2.5 and a wheel nut tool 7.0mm nut driver. You could likely make a plug with o-ring to hold it all together, and keep the bits in the handle like previously suggested. When can I order?

Thanks! I just enjoy little projects like this so you might might just send me your address now because I was going to ask eventually anyway . Do you have the MIP Speed tips?
Oh and I didn't even consider the 7MM, not sure if I've seen one in the 1/4 shank size but I've never looked.

I've got a bunch of different types of wood to choose from if you wanted to pick, I've just picked up a huge piece of Black Walnut on the recommendation (not in the picture)

This one is going to my Brother, its Zebra wood (on the bottom, Iron wood on top)

I made this second handle much smaller since the first one was so large it didn't feel like it had any finesse to it or that you might just over tighten things too easily.

I'll just use some phillips bits for that first handle.

One thing I left out is before I epxoy in the bit holders I grind grooves into them so the glue keys into it and prevents it from spinning (hopefully)

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-28-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

That one's nice too...and maybe a bit more ergonomic (pun intended).
Old 06-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
That one's nice too...and maybe a bit more ergonomic (pun intended).
Sheesh, I had to read that multiple times to get the pun, wheres the face palm emote?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

These are great!
soze is online now   Reply With Quote

Project: Portable hex driver with good tips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good hex driver set? mattehmer01 Tools, and Procedures 52 05-28-2017 05:18 PM
Whats a good hex driver brand? Honey badger 15 Tools, and Procedures 27 06-22-2014 08:04 PM
mip hex driver or drill driver bits with racheting handle 507Eli Tools, and Procedures 2 12-17-2011 05:07 PM
Snapping driver tips ecoli Axial Wraith 1 09-09-2011 04:35 PM
ball hex vs. hex driver DRW-FJ40 Newbie General 12 04-07-2010 11:56 AM