Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Default Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

Do any of you guys use cordless Dremels? I have two corded Dremels as well as another brand, but sometimes it is a pain to drag it out, plug it in and deal with the cord for a quick job. The cord also often gets in the way when I'm using the Dremel on Lexan bodies.

The Dremel 8050-N/18 is on sale and I am thinking about picking one up, but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough for plastic, Lexan bodies and other RC associated tasks.

Do you guys have any experience with this and is it worth $67?

Thanks.

JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool

It drops in RPm under load compared to a corded tool, but gets the job done. better than nothing, and if you already have a few dremels it would be a nice addition.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have a cordless one, love it. But like John said, corded keeps RPM better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

I expect the RPMs to drop, but as long as it's not constantly stalling out it will still be a useful tool.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I had a cordless dremel that was new. I most often used it for repairing dentures. I found the battery died before I was finished more often then not. So I went with a 20 dollar corded one from amazon and love it. Somany tools you could buy personally I would spend the money elsewhere since you already have a few corded ones. A cordless drill/driver, a vice, soldering iron, so many tools I'm sure there is something you don't already have.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Dremel 8220-2/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool with 28 Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DRY5AS..._UpKVBbQXN4PVC
This is the one I have, works well. Having the changeable battery helps.

brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have a Dremel 7700 cordless. For plastic work its a bit too fast at 10,000 rpm. My favorite Dremel was the Mini mite at 5000 rpm. You could drill through plastic and not melt it. But it finally broke down and all the new models are too fast.
GForceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I expect the RPMs to drop, but as long as it's not constantly stalling out it will still be a useful tool.

I have stalled out mine plenty with the cutoff wheel. It is a few years old, the new batteries are likely better. Takes a decent amount of pressure to get there, but I'm the type of guy that will grab the angle grinder when a dremel takes more than 30 seconds.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

If you have any millwakee m12 tools, the m12 'dremal' is decent. Its overpriced if you don't have or plan to buy into the m12 system
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Dremel 8220-2/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool with 28 Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DRY5AS..._UpKVBbQXN4PVC
This is the one I have, works well. Having the changeable battery helps.

That one is larger than I'd like for RC use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
If you have any millwakee m12 tools, the m12 'dremal' is decent. Its overpriced if you don't have or plan to buy into the m12 system
I do not own any Milwaukee tools.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #11

im actually in the market for a cordless dremel, ill check this out. mainly would like cordless tools for trail repairs. already have a butane soldering iron, and i cant tell you how many times it saved someone from throwing in the towel. last run, someone broke a link- and i was thinking. i could carry a small piece of all thread, tubing, tiny pipe cutter to cut the tubing and a few rod ends- and he'd be back on the trail.
DaveDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do you guys have any experience with this and is it worth $67?

Thanks.

Hi,

I do have this kit and it is ok. But it is rather loud and in several circumstances it runs little unbalanced. Furthermore, as already mentioned, it is not very strong. When drilling or cutting metal it shows its weakness.

I do also have the Proxxon Micromot 50/E. This is by far more silent and runs extremely well balanced, seems to be a little stronger than the Dremel.

A little comparison Dremel vs. Proxxon:
Dremel:
+ cordless
+ quick release chuck
+ one button switch off
- very noisy
- not very well balanced
- bulky and heavy
- quick release chuck will not take tools/drills with small diameter supporting bar
- large, broad front compared to Proxxon, sometimes difficult to use small diameter cut off wheels (e.g. when cutting long rods)
- no continuous, only stepped speed regulation
- speed will go back to "medium speed" after switching off, so one will have to "klick back" to previous speed every time after switching off during work (e.g. for cooling down when cutting, or only for making a break for cleaning, …).

Proxxon Micromot 50/E:
+ very silent
+ very well balanced (probably because of "no quick release chuck")
+ very small and light, very easy to work with
+ very small front/tool holding tip, can use cutting wheels of much smaller diameter than the Dremel, when cutting long rods or similar stuff.
+ continuous and very exact rotation speed control
+ can take tools with very small rod diameter (e.g. smallest drills)
+ cord is very soft and flexible, curled, easy to work
- does have a cord, not cordless
- no quick release chuck, have to change tool-holder tips when changing tools with axles of different diameter, what is sometimes rather annoying
- no "one button switch off", shut off by turning back the speed regulation wheel
- needs its power supply nearby

Both rotary tools are not very strong, but perfect for tinkering.

The Proxxon is far more convenient to use than the Dremel, lighter, less noisy, exacter. But for "simple things" I normally use the Dremel tool, because it is cordless (no mess with the wire on the table), and it has its quick release chuck, so I do not have to check which tip I will need first and then mount the tool I wanna use.
If you wanna to very fine and exact work, the Proxxon is the far better choice. If you wanna to some sanding and fast work, with different tools, and do not want to mess around with the cable, the Dremel will do.

For work that needs little more power I use sometimes my very old and cheap rotary tool from Mannesmann, paid less than 30 € for it in 2011, and it is far more powerful than my Dremel and my Proxxon, but is also far more bulky, heavier, will have to be plugged into normal wall socket:
Mannesmann M92571

Walter

Last edited by donaldsneffe; 11-10-2018 at 02:46 AM.
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #13

I've had one for several years. I've used in mostly building slot cars. I've never had a problem with it.
Mitch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post

I just bought an m12 impact driver & drill kit with a pair of 3k batteries and their dremel today. I needed a cordless dremel for field/comp use and I figured stepping down from 20v dewalt stuff to m12 would simplify my life vs having yet another charger to drag with me for the dremel.

I did note that the rotary tool is a bit large but I'll take being unwieldy over not having it anyday.

I had the thought of picking up some of the cheapest knockoff batteries and wiring up s 10k 3s pack. Sure it makes it into a corded unit but my 4s powered soldering iron works the same way and fine.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The m12 soldering iron is amazing

The knockoff batteries are decent, but the cases are fragile, dont drop when cold.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

No I would not buy a cordless Dremel unless you needed to use it somewhere that you did not have power. I have one of the old USA made Dremel's from early 1990's. It has been a great tool over the years. However the main rotary tool I use it a Foredom SR Rotary Tool kit like the one below which has been much better for bench work. It will set you back about $380 but it is well worth it.

Last edited by Stomp; 12-22-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

the cordless m12 rotary tool is great. they can be had for 40-50 bucks on ebay for bare tool.

i had a few cordless dremmel's fail so they arent my first choice.

if you pick up some m12 batteries off ebay, (knock off) its not hard to replace the cells into a larger m12 pack. most ebay copy m12 batteries are 1000mah-2000mah, and work well.
you can find GRADE A 18650 cells from a few places and then just swap your cheap ebay batteries into higher mah versions. If you arent familar with welding/soldering 18650 cells, check youtube. a thermal run-a-way 18650 is very dangerous. (think SHOTGUN shell going boom inches from your face)
mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

this the only dremel I have right now. While it gets the job done I also wished I had a corded one. Like others mentioned it drops in rpm under load, and will cut off at times.

I’d recommend it as an addition to a corded dremel family but not as a single dremel household.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

i fried my old dremel last year. had it for 14 years and loved it. i lowered it ceremoniously into my (ammo) trash can.

i came here asking the same question: cordless?
Need a new dremel
the answer was no. i got the newer replacement of my old corded one (4000 series) with variable speed. SO HAPPY i stayed with the cord. and i can still use the flexible wand doohickey from my old kit. easily my favorite attachment.

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

For me a cordless dremel will never replace the 4000 series corded I have. Until I step up to a professional jewelers rotary tool but so far I haven't found one with a 6' whip.

I like the 3' whip I have but it gets annoying at times.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut, dremel, lexan, rotary, tool

Dremel Cordless Rotary Tool - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cordless dremels? rotary tools? D-ran83 Tools, and Procedures 5 10-22-2010 05:43 AM
Your rotary "dremel" tool finds/suggestions KNIFE Tools, and Procedures 33 06-19-2010 02:24 PM
Good rotary tool? (dremel type) gopher Tools, and Procedures 31 05-23-2007 10:17 PM