Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Power Wagon wheel painting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Default Power Wagon wheel painting

Picture of ’46 Power Wagon front end (not mine)

This wheel and tire combo is the look I’m going for.

This is the RC equivalent.
RC4WD 1.9 Vintage Cruiser Stamped Steel wheels (beadlock, set of 4)
RC4WD DUKW 1.9 Military Offroad Tires

These wheels and tires are part of the project to put the Proline ’46 Dodge Power Wagon body on a RC4WD Trail Finder 2, LWB chassis. I’m going for original authenticity here, not trail performance.

About the wheels, according to this picture, there is a “steel” colored trim ring on the black wheel. My problem is how to recreate that. I don’t have the dexterity to simply free-hand it with a brush and masking it off with tape is impossible.

I got the idea that if I could find the right sized disk, I could use it like a template. Digging through my big can ‘o washers, I turned up just the right diameter washer. Encouraging yes, but how to fix it to the wheel?

These “vintage” wheels are not for want of complexity. Each one consists of 10 bolts, 5 nuts, 2 lug spacers, inner ring, center ring, outer ring, “hub cap” and axle nut.

The hub cap sticks out past the outer ring when assembled, so disassembly is required in order to place the washer/template flush on the outer ring. In order to get a paint resistant seal between the washer and wheel, I covered one side of the washer with electrical tape. This worked a treat.

Fortunately, every piece involved has a center hole. This is key to the key. Using a reasonable sized bolt with a wingnut made for easy fastening, holding the washer tight to the wheel – the key. I still needed a way to hold the assembly steady, so I fashioned a jig from a chunk of 2x4 with holes/cuts as a key hole. A band of tape around the outer edge of the rim and we’re ready to paint.

I’m fairly pleased with the result. It’s up to my modest skill level especially given that painting is my least favorite aspect of model building. Had fun making the jig though.

I've only begun painting the body and have very little idea how to fabricate the front bumper/winch and interior.
Rock Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Power Wagon wheel painting

Looks pretty good.
I've been thinking of what kind of stock looking wheels I could use if I build mine.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #3

Excellent work!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Awesome work on those rims. They turned out perfect and will definitely enhance the realism.

I too, am working on one of these. Currently working on the interior.

Lots of interesting things here...

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...ge+power+wagon
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

58 Willys,

Thanks for the Shapeways link. This is going to get expensive!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I made an order yesterday. Just adding a few items to make the interior a little easier. I like the front bumper they have...may pick one of those up too.

Are you going for the green over all for the body?

Here's mine TF2 1946 Power Wagon
Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Factoid. On the original wheels in the top pic, the silver part is not a trim ring. Those wheels are referred to as split rims, meaning that silver ring had to be removed to dismount the tire. Split rim wheels were used on trucks up to about the mid 70's when they were outlawed due to the extreme danger of the ring not being properly seated when remounting a tire and the ring blowing off as the tire was aired up. A lot of people where killed or injured by this style wheel. A common dress up back in the day with these wheels was to paint the wheel black and the ring silver.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #8

I'm going for the blue color pretty much based on the vehicle in your lead-in picture.

I want one of those Shapeways bumpers but none of the 3 offered are designated for the TF2. I didn't see mounting specifications. Do you know if any of those fit with no or little modification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I made an order yesterday. Just adding a few items to make the interior a little easier. I like the front bumper they have...may pick one of those up too.

Are you going for the green over all for the body?

Here's mine TF2 1946 Power Wagon
Old 10-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I like that bumper too, especially for ability to add a winch motor and have an actual working winch. As for the mounting to the TF2, I may just fab something up to hold it in place or use the Shapeways one as a mock-up for a metal one. I don't think the 3D printed one would last very long on the trail, but it looks cool.

Power Wagon wheel painting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From this , to that ! Power Wagon ! Frank211 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 05-19-2019 01:10 PM
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
1964 Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon bodean 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 05-29-2015 11:02 AM
power wagon,,,, dezmoon Paint and Body 16 01-04-2010 10:23 PM