RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tools, and Procedures (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/)
-   -   unexpected uses for tools (and techniques) Share Yours! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools-procedures/605605-unexpected-uses-tools-techniques-share-yours.html)

HumboldtEF 01-17-2019 12:53 PM

unexpected uses for tools (and techniques) Share Yours!

I wanted to post up a little trick I do with threadlocker but though instead of such a small topic I was hoping it could be a bit more broad and all encompassing.

So what tools, items or techniques do you use in an unexpected way?

Post em up! let us know what tools or items you find handy for a job you wouldn't expect.

So what I use threadlocker for thats not the intended use is as a solvent for cleaning off threadlocker. I used to grab the parts with needle nose pliers, heat them up with a lighter until they begin to smoke, wipe them clean with a brass wire brush and repeat until I actually got it clean. I'd end up dropping them or burning myself from time to time.
I've found that threadlocker cleans up the dried threadlocker much better and quicker. Its now the only way I clean off threadlocker. Oh and I've only tried this with the blue threadlocker, my guess is that red would be much more stubborn.

AnimalHippie 01-17-2019 01:14 PM

Re: unexpected uses for tools (and techniques) Share Yours!

I use my drill for a hammer sometimes. Does that count? Lmao! Sorry had to do it!

Kite string for cutting plastic.
Lighter to strip small wire that's too small for my wire strippers.
Big socket placed under the rim to mount beadlocks.

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of them now. I will definitely be watching this thread!

HumboldtEF 01-17-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5901914)
Lighter to strip small wire that's too small for my wire strippers.

Thats a great one, I have multiple wire strippers but none can strip the really small wires so for me thats the only way to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 5901914)
I use my drill for a hammer sometimes. Does that count? Lmao! Sorry had to do it!

Now that I expect, isnt that normal? if its a blunt object it can hammer, lol

OSRC 01-18-2019 08:10 AM

Cut down a Tamiya Box wrench...removed the two larger ends and now what's left is small enough to fit inside wheels easier. Use it for tightening up the nuts on RC4WD and various other steelies.

Drilled a hole in the middle of an old set of small pliers. Instant shock shaft tool.

I cut the "L" off old allen wrenches (usually the cheapie bits that come with kits) so I can chuck them in my drill. Use slow speed setting - instant power hex driver.

Added an inline switch and alligator clips to a 2 cell AA Radio Shack "project box" - now used to break in motors, driveline tests, etc.

Also, drilled a hole in a box wrench, sanded it and polished it up real pretty, threaded a silver chain through it and wear it as a necklace. :)

JSterrett 01-18-2019 08:56 AM

I use anti-sieze lubricant on pivot balls and universal/CV joints. Reduces wear, doesn't fling off at speed, and rejects dirt so it doesn't gum up like grease can. Water resistant also.

Rubbing alcohol to remove permanent marker. I can draw all over lexan bodies trying to figure out my design, then just wipe it off if I don't like it and start over...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 01-18-2019 09:07 AM

I started using gun lube like Ballistol or Hornady One Shot on my CVDs / universals. If it's good enough for the friction in guns it's good enough for my RCs. It also is relatively dry so things don't stick to it.

B-MOW71 01-18-2019 09:11 AM

This may not be unexpected, but I like to use a syringe full of marine grease to lube and relube diffs & transmissions. You can pinpoint where you want the grease and it is contained so the grease doesn't get all over everything.

I haven't tried it yet, but thought about using a syringe to add shock oil. I use AE shock oil and sometimes it is hard to squeeze out the oil into the shock. I usually end up with a mess because the oil doesn't stream out like it should.

dr frankenstyle 01-18-2019 10:03 AM

Lets see .... I use the corner of a ziploc, like a mini frosting bag, to squeeze small amounts of grease or silicone into tight places. Just squirt a little into the corner, clip off the tip of the corner, and presto.
I put teflon pipe-tape on the threads of my wheel center-caps. Keeps them snug but easy to remove with my old fingers.
I use a piece of suspended-ceiling tile as a pin-board for painting small parts.
I use my bench-top drill-press for lots of things ... as a drill (of course), as a mill (with end-mill bits), wrap some sand-paper around a hole-saw in it and you have a spindle sander, occasionally even like a vertical lathe.
I'll think of others. :)

8)

2mtech 01-18-2019 10:19 AM

Clothespins and a 2 x 4 make a great cheap shock stand for static bleeding

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1940/...8be987b8_z.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 5902170)
This may not be unexpected, but I like to use a syringe full of marine grease to lube and relube diffs & transmissions. You can pinpoint where you want the grease and it is contained so the grease doesn't get all over everything.

I haven't tried it yet, but thought about using a syringe to add shock oil. I use AE shock oil and sometimes it is hard to squeeze out the oil into the shock. I usually end up with a mess because the oil doesn't stream out like it should.

I do both! Works great.

HumboldtEF 01-24-2019 02:28 PM

I just remembered one more for the castle link, Take a servo splitter and modify one end removing the ground and signal.

https://i.imgur.com/6FY2r5al.jpg?1

With this you can connect to any ESC whether you've removed the red wire for a BEC or not with no need to reconnect the red wire for programming. Just plug the ESC's red wire into the end of the splitter with the single red wire and the ESC (minus the red wire) into the other end of the splitter.

soze 01-24-2019 02:46 PM

Excellent thread. The only thing I can think of right now is that I use my 2.5mm & 3mm hex bits to use as leverage helping me put on rod-ends for better or worse.

QuesoDelDiablo 01-25-2019 09:47 AM

Most people probably already do this, but anytime I'm building a kit I always "pre-thread" a bolt into any plastics before I install the part.

Also, this was already mentioned but I'll re-iterate because it's so handy - use small syringes to apply & store grease; I wrap the end in a plastic bag secured with a twist-tie so I can even keep it in my trail tool kit. The syringes also work well for applying shoe-goo or similar adhesives like E6000, but they're single-use if you're doing that.

Gula 01-25-2019 08:50 PM

Took some old pliers, opened them, dipped in plastidip. Soft jaw pliers
Use a syringe to apply solvent for styrene/abs gluing.
Took old USB cord and a jst connector, soldered wires. Can power servo tester off a portable power bank now.
Popsicle sticks, make good grease applicators
Use heat shrink around out drives to keep set screws from getting lost.
Tamiya frog cvd boots, for most out drives or cvds.
Clear silicone putty, like "crazy Aaron's thinking putty" for 1billion cst diff deceleration.
Chopped off toilet brush attached to power drill cleans up many parts in 5gal bucket with hot soapy water in a jiffy. Then spray in silicone lubricant to get brand new looking plastic parts.
Ebay, I've bought 90-100% complete axles ar60, scx10 brand new for $50 for 2, you can score on t cases and trans as well. I've built a venture minus body for ~$130. Better deals than here sometimes.
Permanent holes in work bench for steering drag links, different axles

Hal 01-27-2019 08:05 PM

Heat shrink tubing on pliers jaws, instant soft jaws. Also a piece of silicone tubing works too.
Use a magnet to magnetize my drivers, don't lose so many screws.
Small filed hole in a pair of cutting pliers, makes good shock rod holder, and still cuts wires.
Cut just thumb and finger off rubber gloves if I don't really need the whole glove.
Put 3 inch pieces of wire on a battery connector (ie. Deans) plug in a connector you are soldering. Works as handle and heat sink. Just make sure the wires are protected so they don't short,
Tooth pics for applying small amounts of glue, grease, paint, or other stuff.
Use an Exacto handle to hold small drills to hand drill with. It works best if the place a blade would normally go is a + shape.
Some of my tricks... great thread all."thumbsup"

QuesoDelDiablo 01-28-2019 08:26 AM

When applying stickers -

Spray windex or soapy water on the body first (1-2 drops of dish soap in spray bottle) and you can slide the stickers around till you're happy with the placement, then squeeze as much of the fluid out from under the sticker as you can, leave to dry overnight.

When you're picking up/putting down the stickers, pick them up using the tip of a knife (I use my olfa cutter) and you can avoid getting greasy fingerprints on them.

Chainsaw10 01-28-2019 02:27 PM

Alternate use for circular saw blades:)
https://i.ibb.co/vZYK3t9/501451-D0-D...9-A3-A91-C.jpg

Hal 01-28-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw10 (Post 5905528)

Wow that thing must rip! (pun intended):mrgreen:

HumboldtEF 01-28-2019 04:43 PM

OP and RCCrawler are not responsible for any lost digits!

AnimalHippie 01-28-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw10 (Post 5905528)

Shreds the gnar bro! Thing looks crazy!

QuesoDelDiablo 01-29-2019 10:57 AM

Another one I thought of last night:

When you need to put loctite on small bolts, I put a few drops on the edge of the work bench and then roll the bolt through it. Helps avoid drips and over application.