Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Essential tools for RC hobby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Question Essential tools for RC hobby?

Hi all! Apologies in advance if a similar thread exists or if this is the wrong place for this, I wasn't having much luck with the search function.
I'm brand new to this hobby, just received a Redcat Everest 10, and right now I am having fun with it completely stock but...you know I gotta get to modding this thing! Unfortunately I'm starting pretty much from scratch when it comes to tools and supplies. I've been a renter most of my life and only have the most basic of basic home tool kits so I need to buy virtually everything. I plan on picking up tools as needed but I'm sure there are some things that you all know I will definitely need...what are they?
I have the Kinexsis Ultimate Air/Surface Startup Tool Set on order and I am going to save a couple weeks to pick up the Dremel 4300-5/40 High Performance Rotary Tool Kit, I'm also looking at a soldering iron and a hot glue gun. I know that is only scratching the surface so help me out everyone, what else MUST I have? What would you never dare be without?

Thank you so much for any help!
GrittyMug345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Essential tools for RC hobby?

Metric wrenches, Electrician wire stripping pliers (the ones that have different holes for different wire gauges), needle nose pliers, and some dentist picks.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I would delete the hot glue gun and instead look at some small tubes of E6000. They sell 'em in a pkg of 3 or 4). I like those better than one large tube. So also: Thread-locker medium strength. As mentioned as well... a good set of hex drivers ( 2mm being the most used). There's a lot of drivers out there and they're worth spending more on. I dunno that you need to spend a lot on great-quality wire-strippers ( if the budget is tight) but it really depends on how much modifying/ changing of electronics you plan to do. If you plan to do a lot then yeah... get something good. Xacto knife and #11 blades for sure you will want. Also as mentioned, some cheap dental-type picks are always good to have on hand. I'd be lost without my Dremel's so if you can, I'd definitely get one... 3000/ 4000 series if you can but at the vary least it should be variable speed. Also make sure to have whatever nut drivers you need. Not a bad idea to have several on hand as they are easy to misplace and generally pretty cheap.

There's quite a bit more but that would be a good start imo. Welcome to the world of scale rc!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies so far! Basic screw, hex, and nut drivers are covered with the Kinexsis set, I'll upgrade the ones I use most and add whatever I find lacking at some point. Xacto knives and blades I already have, thread lock as well, also found a little glue gun my wife has (had) but I'll also check out the e6000. Added a dental tool kit and some good wire strippers to my list as well as a "helping hand." The Dremel will probably be my next tool purchase along with a better pair of needle nose pliers.
Maybe a heat gun and some shrink tube?
Anyone else have some "can't be without" items I should pick up sooner rather than later?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Get a good soldering iron. Most automotive greases work good enough for these rigs, so get a tube or tub. Blue thread lock. Some 30wt shock oil. Simple green and an old toothbrush to clean. Spare bearings, screws, nuts. As well as what everybody else mentioned. Oh and a curved hemostat to hold nuts in place where it's hard to reach. Skip heat gun and use a lighter
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Get a good soldering iron. Most automotive greases work good enough for these rigs, so get a tube or tub. Blue thread lock. Some 30wt shock oil. Simple green and an old toothbrush to clean. Spare bearings, screws, nuts. As well as what everybody else mentioned. Oh and a curved hemostat to hold nuts in place where it's hard to reach. Skip heat gun and use a lighter

Thanks for mentioning the hemostat, my wife is a nurse and she just let me raid her "extras" supply box, came up with a couple different sizes/shapes of hemostats and some great tweezers! I was looking at the Lucas Oil Marine Grease, will that do the trick for most of my greasing needs? I have added a SS screw/nut/misc. hardware kit to the list as well as a 6-pack of assorted shock oils.
Thanks so much and please keep it coming, this is VERY helpful!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

get the gel thread locker from permatex not the locktite liquid that makes a mess
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
get the gel thread locker from permatex not the locktite liquid that makes a mess

Thanks for the tip, I've only ever used the locktite and have some at home already but I'll check out the permatex when I need to resupply!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

Better late than never to a thread, I'd add a simple quick reading thermometer like: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch...ter-46586.html or if you want to spend a bit more: https://www.harborfreight.com/121-in...ter-63985.html

Don't guess about ESC/motor/battery temps, actually check them so the smoke can't get out.
GCi in ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Re: threadlock

I find the blue stuff is a little too strong for small screws and grub screws. If you can get the purple one (not red!) it's "low strength" and perfect for RC. Stripped too many screw heads using the blue stuff.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

Just wanted to chime in. Coming from another new person I find this thread to be very useful.
Onerabidkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Re: threadlock

I find the blue stuff is a little too strong for small screws and grub screws. If you can get the purple one (not red!) it's "low strength" and perfect for RC. Stripped too many screw heads using the blue stuff.
I also use the purple everywhere except on the driveshaft. It is the recommended thread locker for aluminum and brass parts. Being steel on steel the driveshafts seem okay with the blue but even there before taking them apart I apply some heat first with a hot air rework gun because cranking down real hard on that tiny 1.5 mm hex driver just doesn't feel good.

I've never had a screw come loose using the purple so it would probably work fine for the driveshafts.

The technical information on blue Loctite recommends down to M6 which is way bigger than anything on our rigs.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

My hamfistedness is legend so I have M3 and M2.5 helicoil insertion tools with a selection of different length inserts.

I keep a little tub of silicon O ring grease for sealing waterproof receiver boxes.

A small oiler with a fairly long, thin applicator made for fishing reels is perfect for applying just enough oil on motor bearings or anywhere else. The Abu Garcia precision oiler or something similar is good for this and being formulated for use on bearings subjected to salt water and designed to allow long casts the oil is good enough for our needs.

Thumbs up on the E6000 glue. Used over drywall tape it will patch up cracks in your lexan body. I also glue a small neodymium disk magnet inside my bodies. That keeps my body clips in place when I open it to change batteries or do other work on the rig. Just put the clips on the outside of the magnet location and they'll stay there. I haven't lost a clip since I started doing that.

My toolbox would not be complete without a selection of cable ties. I always keep a spare battery strap in there as well.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
I've never had a screw come loose using the purple so it would probably work fine for the driveshafts.

The technical information on blue Loctite recommends down to M6 which is way bigger than anything on our rigs.
Never had anything come loose using the purple stuff and the blue is way over-specced for these tiny screws.

The only exception for me is also on driveshafts, but only the metal MIP ones. I use the blue thread lock gel they include in the kit.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I love the stick-style thread locker for full size car work. May not be as convenient with tiny bolts? And I don't see purple.
rbronco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbronco21 View Post
And I don't see purple.
This is the one you want for rc: https://www.permatex.com/products/th...locker-purple/
Old 04-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

A wallet-sized prybar.

That's probably the most important tool. And the one you'll be using the most.

Gotta pry that wallet open and look real deep sometimes.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #18

Another guy late to the thread. A fishing tackle box. Yes a tackle box. I use them as tool chests and with the Plano interchangeable tackle trays they work great for holding tools and a couple trays or more of parts. depending on size you get can a whole lot more inside (batteries, charger, tires, ect..). They make it easy to grab your gear when traveling.
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #19

if you actually build kits, a nice side cutter for plastic spruces is also very useful.
67CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroSS View Post
if you actually build kits, a nice side cutter for plastic spruces is also very useful.
Last two kits I built didn't even have trees... Is this going by the wayside?
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Essential tools for RC hobby? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get the tools you need at RPP Hobby! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-13-2019 04:21 PM
Essential Tools for First RC Drm31078 Newbie General 15 01-21-2016 08:53 AM
Essential upgrades cbr6fs Axial XR10 22 11-07-2010 05:50 PM
Kobalt Hobby Tools!?! Ghostkid Tools, and Procedures 8 11-05-2009 08:17 PM