Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: brazing questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default brazing questions

im going to try brazing a chassis soon and i just have a few questions. is the coiled satey silv better than the rod type. also im going to try using a turbo torch it runs off acetylene. i use it at work to solder pipe. i think it will work it burns hotter than mapp gas. but i will just get a small tip and turn down the regulator.
the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Should work great. What are you planing on brazing with? Regular brazing rod or Harris Saftey Silv 56? I highly recomend the Safety Silv personally. It is easy to work with, has a lower melting point and is stronger then the material you are working with. I mean this stuff literally flows like solder so it leaves a nice clean joint in which the tubing will fail before the joint will.

Do a search on this stuff.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat1
Should work great. What are you planing on brazing with? Regular brazing rod or Harris Saftey Silv 56? I highly recomend the Safety Silv personally. It is easy to work with, has a lower melting point and is stronger then the material you are working with. I mean this stuff literally flows like solder so it leaves a nice clean joint in which the tubing will fail before the joint will.

Do a search on this stuff.
X2.... harris is the only way to go for tubers. just get a MAPP gas torch from your hardware store, they have the auto light trigger, very handy when putting a tuber together.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

im going to use saftey silv 56. i was thinking man that stuff is expensive to day at work. then i started to talk to my forman about and as it turns out he did a job last year brazing up a couple of cooling coils. he brought me in 5 qz or it still brand new in the coil with flux.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i lied this is the torch i have. i posted the wrong pic it wont work as good as the first one but it should work. what do you think
Old 03-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #6

Looks good, I would use it because...

acetylene has a higher welding temperature (3160 °C, 5720 °F), MAPP is 2927 °C (5301 °F) but has the advantage that it requires neither dilution nor special container fillers during transport, allowing a greater volume of welding gas to be transported at the same given weight.
URBNFLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBNFLX
Looks good, I would use it because...

acetylene has a higher welding temperature (3160 °C, 5720 °F), MAPP is 2927 °C (5301 °F) but has the advantage that it requires neither dilution nor special container fillers during transport, allowing a greater volume of welding gas to be transported at the same given weight.
Both are plenty hot for SS-56 or SS-45.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy
Both are plenty hot for SS-56 or SS-45.
Jay
true, i was out in my garage today messing around with my ac torch. i did have one thing to ad. if your gonna use it indoors i would use the mapp. the only reason i thought it would be a benefit to use the ac is that you can get the heat in and out faster.
URBNFLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #9

Been thinking about messing around with making a tube frame but have no brazing experience. Other than buying the above, what else do you have to buy? Some gloves to handle the hot metal while it's being brazed? I would do the brazing in my garage so should be fine to set things on the concrete, right?
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi View Post
Been thinking about messing around with making a tube frame but have no brazing experience. Other than buying the above, what else do you have to buy? Some gloves to handle the hot metal while it's being brazed? I would do the brazing in my garage so should be fine to set things on the concrete, right?
I use arrow welding magnets and smaller shaped magnets to hold work in place, calipers are good to have or just a rule for measuring. masking tape hold things together very good also for mockup.
I have mechanics gloves to hold the metal, works great plus you dont get flux on your skin, if you do wipe it off your hands will get rashes and such. and yeah on concrete is fine to work on i would think. I work on a piece of tile on my workbench

Last edited by lohocla; 03-24-2007 at 11:39 AM.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
I would do the brazing in my garage so should be fine to set things on the concrete, right?
I wouldn't recommend that. Concrete can explode if heated to a temperature high enough.
Micropuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Will this do ok on brazing a tuber, Harris Dynaflow siver phos-copper brazing alloy. I got a tube of 28 sticks today free

Last edited by diamondbackrc; 04-07-2007 at 07:40 PM.
diamondbackrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbackrc View Post
Will this do ok on brazing a tuber, Harris Dynaflow siver phos-copper brazing alloy. I got a hole tube of 28 sticks today free
thats for copper to copper. I wouldnt reccomend it for steel brake line, I dont even know if it would work properly.
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote