Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Red and tacky- can it be mixes with synthetic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Red and tacky- can it be mixes with synthetic?

I recently bought an extra speed SCX10 II scale motor / transmission / transfer case.

Started taking it apart to grease with the usual synthetic that I use when realized that they had already hit all of the gears with red and tacky when they assembled it at the factory.

There is a reasonable amount on every gear, bTransmission ut I usually pack the gear case with synthetic to help keep water out. I have always used the synthetic grease because of the fact that it apparently performs well in both hot and cold temperatures and Winters can be quite chilly here, especially if I forget my truck in my truck overnight.

Now for my question:

Can I:

1: mix what appears to be "Red and Tacky" with "Permatex" high performance synthetic grease?

If Not, should I

2: Leave it as is, thread lock the bolts and be done with it.

3: clean the gears and then add synthetic.

4: buy more red and tacky and pack it in (can it handle -20° Celsius?)

Thanks for the help and sorry for the overdetailed question.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Red and tacky- can it be mixes with synthetic?

I hate that Red and Tacky stuff and it makes no sense to me to use it in an rc vehicle. I'd clean the gears off really well and go synthetic for sure. Also, if I may say, I'd advise against packing anything with grease. Just does not seem necessary or advisable as IMO the parts aren't made for that.

Last edited by JC3; 08-12-2019 at 07:17 PM.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I hate that Red and Tacky stuff and it makes no sense to me to use it in an rc vehicle. I'd clean the gears off really well and go synthetic for sure. Also, if I may say, I'd advise against packing anything with grease. Just does not seem necessary or advisable as IMO the parts aren't made for that.
The more I use tacky grease on RCs the more I agree. It adds so much unnecessary drag. But it's hard to find light grease that doesn't fling off the gears.

And I agree that packing axles with grease doesn't make sense.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The more I use tacky grease on RCs the more I agree. It adds so much unnecessary drag. But it's hard to find light grease that doesn't fling off the gears.

And I agree that packing axles with grease doesn't make sense.
I think that packing may be the wrong word. I add more grease than what is necessary to only coat the gears.

I try to make it so that there is essentially a halo of grease surrounding each gear as well as grease around the connecting edges of the gear case. I am trying to keep water out / displace any that gets in in an attempt to keep gear rust to a minimum.

I do notice that the synthetic tends to fling off. I am not sure if the red and tacky would be better in that regard.

If each of your recommendations is that I o my apply a thin coat to the teeth then I may be better off with the thin layer of red and tacky.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
RCC Addict

To your original question, NO DO NOT MIX different greases. You can use what ever grease tickles your fancy, but you must first clean off all the old grease before you apply something else.

Last edited by Inspector86; 08-15-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Red and tacky- can it be mixes with synthetic? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucas Red N Tacky? norco kid Tools, and Procedures 26 12-20-2015 08:46 AM
*** Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky giveaway*** Reflection General Crawlers 122 02-02-2013 09:24 AM
***Wheelworks Black-n-Tacky gear oil*** Reflection General Crawlers 5 05-28-2012 12:43 PM
synthetic winch line Kranberry Scale Accessories 0 09-05-2009 10:32 PM