Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Anti-strip Hex Drivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anti-strip Hex Drivers

If you look up "ham-fisted" in the dictionary you will probably see my picture. I have various methods of repairing plastic threads from a recoil kit to threaded inserts that are able to be installed using a soldering iron to the self tapping thread inserts but I don't often have to use them since I found the hex driver set in the picture below, shown with a MIP driver for comparison.

Having the 1.3mm size at the small end is a bonus. The set cost about $6 at a local store and they don't fit as well as they could but I haven't rounded any screw heads nor have I stripped a thread with them. I would like to buy a better quality set if anybody knows where I can find them.

The small wrench above is also very handy for wheel nuts giving plenty of leverage. My ham-fistedness seems to be limited to plastics as I have used this wrench lots and haven't had any issues stripping threads on the metal axles.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anti-strip Hex Drivers

I just went and got some 1.5-3mm allen blank keys from WIHA or BONDHUS, cannot recall. Drilled vertically through the middle of a 1" piece of 1/4 rod and brazed the keys in. Now it looks like a mini T-handle allen, easily reshaped, and have not broken mine in 15+ years
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

Anti-strip Hex Drivers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What hex drivers you using? throttlejock27 Tools, and Procedures 206 02-09-2024 06:58 AM
Hex Drivers? JohnB Tools, and Procedures 21 06-24-2013 10:37 AM