Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Stripped grub screw on Gen 8 driveshaft, HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry Stripped grub screw on Gen 8 driveshaft, HELP!!!

I have an EXTREMELY stripped grub screw on the rear driveshaft of my Gen 8 Scout. I have tried many tricks such as putting a hex driver with epoxy on for 24 hours... still won't come out. I have also tried the rubber band trick, won't come out. I also tried unscrewing it from an angle with pressure with my MIP hex driver and it won't come out. The grub screw is very deteriorated, but I need to get it removed.

Any ideas on how to get this thing out? Seems like the only solution is to buy another drive shaft and pinion gear.

Thanks
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stripped grub screw on Gen 8 driveshaft, HELP!!!

Sounds like you're at the point you may need to try an extractor bit, something like this https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Str.../dp/B07GZ17QD9, just make sure to get an appropriate size.

If its not too far gone you may be able to get it loose by trying to use a slightly oversized torx bit in combination with heat, heat will allow you to break the loctite bond. You want it oversized so you can gently hammer it in and hopefully get it to grab.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Drill it out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

First, you need to heat it (use the tip of a soldering iron, or a lighter if that's all you have) to soften any thread lock. I've had the best luck getting stripped allens out by using a torx bit that is slightly too big, then tapping it in the boogered up hole, then slowly unscrew while maintaining lots of inwards pressure.

If that doesn't do it, I'd say to drill it out, using a bit that is slightly smaller than the female thread size. Stop when you're through the threads then use a punch to knock the rest of the pin out.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to resort the some damage to other parts. I'd use a super thin cutoff wheel on a Dremel to make a slot in the screw head (which will have to also be cut into the drive shaft coupler) and use a flathead screwdriver to twist out the remains of the threads, then use a punch to knock the rest of the pin out.

If that doesn't work, set down the tools, enjoy a tasty beverage, and be glad this isn't how you make your living.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

I just did one yesterday. Drill it out with a good drill bit. Drill from both sides slowly, and once you are past the "driveshaft" part it will come out. You will need a new screw, or tap the driveshaft for a setscrew if the threads have disappeared. You can also use a M2 nut and bolt all the way through. Not enough speed to cause a vibration.
cameracorpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

I bought this set from Amazon a while back , works like a charm

https://www.tacklifetools.com/produc...xtractor-dse01

Tacklife DSE01
kevman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:04 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I have had the same stripped hexes on my Gen 8 and it's not even touched dirt yet. I drilled out the head of the hex, then managed to get the pin part out with a drill bit as a punch . I found that Axial screws are the same size, but have already replaced the driveshaft with a Junfac as I have a few spare.

The Axial screw is AXA0175 or slighly longer is AX176. Easier for me to get hold of and (maybe) better quality.

Axial Racing - Screw Shaft M3x2.5x11m (10pcs)

Axial Racing - Screw Shaft M3x2.5x12mm (10pcs)
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote

Stripped grub screw on Gen 8 driveshaft, HELP!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i use a 10/11mm M2 grub screw to replace the driveshaft pins I lost? Stray Axial SCX-10 4 11-29-2018 09:14 AM
Is there a good way to remove a broken/stripped grub screw? Hatersauce Newbie General 5 02-28-2016 05:00 AM
Stripped grub screw in MIP!!!! Help! molina Axial Yeti 5 04-19-2015 11:23 AM
Stripped Grub Screw jeepscx10 General Crawlers 6 01-23-2013 09:31 AM
Stripped grub screw Highboost73 Axial SCX-10 3 09-15-2010 03:48 PM